Battery very cracked.... but still works fine.

Reaction score
Hey guys,

As you can see below, the battery is pretty cracked. I had 3 batteries, one brand new, and 2 of them don't work at all (one is warped/inflated, the other that is brand new just won't work), and this one.

This cracked one works fine. I flew for 25 minutes straight, no problems, the cells show normal voltage. I didn't notice any warping on the sides of the battery. Is this still good to go? I had a project to film and had to use this because it was last minute... thank god no problems. I will continue using it for practice, but have new batteries coming.

IMG_3628.JPG

Reactions: Jim Canada
Take the cap off the bad one and put it on the good one. Being badly cracked could compromise its ability to stay locked to the drone. Many Phantom batteries develop cracks and still work ok. The plastic on the cap can't support the pressure from the locking mechanism. Some people reinforce the inside of the caps.

Hey guys,

As you can see below, the battery is pretty cracked. I had 3 batteries, one brand new, and 2 of them don't work at all (one is warped/inflated, the other that is brand new just won't work), and this one.

This cracked one works fine. I flew for 25 minutes straight, no problems, the cells show normal voltage. I didn't notice any warping on the sides of the battery. Is this still good to go? I had a project to film and had to use this because it was last minute... thank god no problems. I will continue using it for practice, but have new batteries coming.

View attachment 118639
Hmmm... My car tires are all frayed with bits of lose rubber
slapping the ground while I drive... Am I still good to go???

(yeah... I'm going to risk my investment with a cracked battery)

Jerry

Take the cap off the bad one and put it on the good one. Being badly cracked could compromise its ability to stay locked to the drone. Many Phantom batteries develop cracks and still work ok. The plastic on the cap can't support the pressure from the locking mechanism. Some people reinforce the inside of the caps.
You have a source for replacement Battery Caps? Please post. thx

> one is warped/inflated...

try pin prick to release trapped gas,
puncture ONLY vinyl layer at angle,
do it outside, then press down to flatten;
it probably won't help if warped, but...
(yes, I use pricked battery without issues)
(drones falling out of skies daily, AFAIK none linked to pricking)

You have a source for replacement Battery Caps? Please post. thx
Sorry, I Don’t have any. We have talked about it a few times on this forum. People have even asked for caps, so they can replace theirs. People here have shared diy reinforcement techniques. A little googling should show some results. Good luck.

Maybe save a good cap before you send a dead battery to the recycle bin? Then it could be used to replace a cracked cap on an otherwise good battery?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic