Hunters trespassing

Reaction score
There was access given to rabbit hunt on a certain part of my farm about a decade ago to a couple select family friends.
Now several times there have been strange vehicles entering a gate that was once locked. It’s not really a huge deal, most likely a friend of a friend kinda thing.
I’m considering doing a surveillance flight. I’m weighing out the possibilities. Men with dogs and guns on my property. I wonder if they would shoot my drone from the sky on my own land? If they did I would just put a padlock on the gate and stop them from leaving and call the police.
Hmm I have a couple batteries charging. What would you guys do??

Reactions: csevengo
I'd fly.

Put sign on gate warning of aerial surveillance, FAA rules regarding interfering with aircraft operations, and see what you can 'see'.

Reactions: Newbieguy
I would have put the padlock on the gate long ago. Don't know what the police will do other than maybe cite them and let a judge decide. If the judge is like the one who let DroneSlayer go for shooting down a drone (I think she was anti-drone.), it might not be worth the hassle as you might have to go to court and deal with that mess.

Lock the gate, and maybe put some garbage email on a sign if you want people to use it to contact you to open it. I've seen that done on some movie sets around Southern California and have used that means to get access and pay them for a few hours of use of their property. That way you know who is on your property and if they do any damage you can lock them out of further usage, or jack the price up. Everyone is happy then too.

How about a lock on the gate and a “No Hunting” sign?
Or if you know who they are, just tell them nicely that you don’t allow hunting anymore. If need be you can add “ Especially since that contagious, deadly rabbit disease was found on my farm. You know, the one people can get.“ ;)

While your state is probably different... in NC if you apply Purple Paint around the perimeter and gate of your property no one is allowed to hunt without legitimate written permission (must be on their person). When this law went into effect a few years ago purple paint was hotter then beanie babies in the 90's.

I'd placard the property with signs and then if you fly stay high and out of shotgun range. If you do fly I'd start recording the moment you take off and record the entire time, just in case.

The gate in question adjoins a part of my neighbors farm that he occasionally needs access to. That’s one reason I have not padlocked it. Another reason is that this is only the second time it’s happened this season. In all actuality they aren’t causing any harm , except for the rabbits. I think I’ll take a high altitude flight and then go have a friendly chat with them. If they would come up to the house and properly ask and introduce themselves I would probably offer them access for the cost of a nice bowl of rabbit stew every now and then. I suppose it’s the slight intrusion and the curiosity of the matter that makes me want to fly over.

Reactions: Pharm
I wouldn't risk it. Not worth the hassle if they do take down your machine.

I've heard of wireless "Trail Cameras" that would do the trick.
SC950_T_420_e5fd6295-68d8-4736-ad3a-cc8cc36832bb_medium.jpg
$200 - $600

They left before I got a full charge. I suppose I’ll I get down there and post a sign. I’ll put my cell number on it and have them call me for permission. The temperature hit around 34 degrees so I’ll just go flying for the pleasure.

Happy flying
David.

It’s your land. Lock it. No trespassing signs. Your not obligated to let anyone on their if you don’t want.

Things work a little different out here in the country. A little more gentle and slow. You never know when you’ll need a helping hand. This could be the relative of someone my great grandfather was friends with. I live at the end of a 1.5 mile one lane road. I could put a gate up at the beginning of it I wanted. It was more of a curiosity thing than a major intrusion. My question was would you fly over the hunt with your drone.

Reactions: BigAl07
Understand. I have land like that. Only thing that gets irritating is when people take advantage of your generosity. It’s a balancing act. Hope it all works out for you.

Thanks. I should have posted a sign a long time ago. You’re right it’s more about respect than anything else really. I think to be honest the idea of using my drone for something a little different appealed to me. Lol. I’ve never really observed any thing but cows and a little wildlife and landscape.

I fly mine out at my property all the time. I enjoy it. I see new things all the time. Fly property line, fields, trails, pond, river. I usually have 1 or 2 gators in my pond and I like to fly down there and get over head shots of them swimming around. Keeps the flying interesting

I’m a landowner both in the UK and South Africa. Do not allow unauthorised access. Use a very thick chain and the best padlock you can find, giving your neighbour a key.

In the UK, I once confronted two gypsies who were up to no good, both with a long track record of crime and violence. I faced them down, using colourful language to explain they’d picked the wrong person and wrong land, until the police arrived to arrest them.

Reactions: Neon Euc
Put a sign up saying

"Any man trespassing here is committed to marry my sister"
1516608969394.jpg

dont lock them out.....lock them in with note and phone number to call when they want to be let out....then face to face them.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl