HOW TO: Install copper foil shield (fix low satellite count)

Re: HOW TO: Install copper foil shield (fix low satellite co

Can regular tape - duct tape/masking tape/see through cellotape be used to cover the aluminium instead of the Kapton tape?

What are the chances of the aluminium causing shortages, and what happens if and when a shortage happens?

I am at the stage where i have covered the thing in aluminium, but do not have any Kapton tape and cannot get it as im in the UAE.

I used duct tape.. well a variation of it... (never heard of kapton tape) many people do not bother with it.. however (as I posted up in another thread recently) the wifi module definietly makes contact with the shielding as I can see an imprint so I did not want to take any chances... Might as well just put some tape on... Also the wifi module gets really hot so I'm assuming if it touches another type of metal it will heat that up as well... dunno if the duct tape provides a slight barrier to the heat, but don't see the harm in it...

thank you Justin,

I've just come back from testing in the same area, at the same time of day with very similar weather conditions.

Good news is that i got 1 more satellite than yesterday.

Bad news is that when video recording i still lose 2-3 satellites, so I was right on the cusp of GPS with 7 satellites... for split seconds it flickered to 6 and 8 +/- 1 satellite.

Do you think wrapping the remaining wire (the tiny inch thats left that plugs into the main electricals) with aluminium and duct tape would do any difference?

Many thanks for all your help Justin00

I dunno.. mine only has literally an inch or two sticking out and its fine... Obviously th
So many diff ways people have done this... Another thing I and a few others have done is put the aluminum or copper tape up the arms a little bit.. like up to the midway point where the screws go, just before basically.. obviously still covering the initial middle part.... So my GPS module is covered by the stock shield, extra aluminum shield and then even more which goes up each arm half way. Not sure why it makes a diff, or if it even does..My theory was maybe its escaping out sides lol... so I put some up the arms.. Just don't cover the vent holes, cut a bit out so you don't cover them.. Some of the tutorial video's also go up the arms abit.
I literally tried 5 or 6 diff variations till I had a good result (more satts and no recording issues) and then settled on that... Was frustrating at times. Like it was good then I'd "make it better" which make it worse.. etc etc... then finally had a good stable result. When its "fixed" and you click record you should not loose a single satt.. The fact you don't get as many satts could be based on your location. I always tell people to try a few diff spots... but yeah you have a little work to do if you are losing satts when clicking record, so fix that up then worry about the amount you get.

Sounds like you are definitely on the right track and making good progress.. Try cover the arms as I have described and I guess cover the cable if you like.. I don't like doing to much at once because then you don't know what actually fixed it, but in the grand scheme of things, who cares as long as its fixed :)

Good work though :) And to think... 24 hours ago you told us you weren't the type who mods there own equipment!

BTW - Are you using aluminium foil, like the kitchen stuff ??? Not sure if thats the best to use.. or if it makes any diff ?? Can anyone chime in here on if they are using aluminium foil, and if it works as well ?? I used this weatherproof aluminium tape stuff.. one side was aluminium.. then there was 1 or 2mm of squishy bit then the other side was the tape. It was originally intended for fixing leaks in outdoor metal pipes or something like that ? Some also swear copper is better, but from what I'd seen people had just as good results with either alumin and copper.. but yeah. maybe not foil if that's what your using ?

I did some research a while ago and found out from a 3M study that aluminum is better at shielding EMI than copper. Tin plated copper was the best shield. But I agree with Justin, everyone has their own solution. Frankly, I think that there are no two Phantoms that are alike so what works for one does not necessarily work for another. What I did was use the same aluminum tape the others have mentioned, then I covered that with a copper sheet. I covered all of that with packing tape to insulate it. The copper I got from a company called ANT radio (or something like that). It's used to shield high end electronics gear and comes in flat sheets with an adhesive backing.

This is my first post and I have learned a lot from this board and this tread.

Let me share my solution which has worked extremely well. I am a photographer and so leveraged some materials I had handy. I used Cinefoil (a thick aluminum foil painted black on both sides, two sheets of kitchen aluminum foil and plastic gloss overlaminate to act as in insulator. I laminated the Cinefoil with the plastic overlaminate, used two side adhesive to glue the two sheets of aluminum foil to on top of the cinefoil. I then cut it to the shape recommended in this tread, moved the cable under the existing shield as suggested and then used more two side adhesive to adhere the shield in place. This immediately has given me 2-3 more satelites and much faster lock. The shield made this way was very light but also durable.

Thanks again for all the suggestions, there are lots of approaches, but clearly added shielding is an essential modification.

I tried this on my Non Plus Vision that had the taoglas 4mm GPS antenna mod, just out of curiosity as I was not losing satellites when recording. It decreased satellites for me, I went from 4-6 inside the house to 0 and from 8-10 in my backyard to 6-8 (checking with http://satpredictor.navcomtech.com/ first). Guessing this is mainly for the v+ as the wifi module is directly under the GPS antenna.

I did the foil mod along with a GPD antenna upgrade (Taoglas 4mm from DigiKey) today. Went out to test it, and got 10 satellites in less than 30 seconds. The phantom was ready to fly before I had even connected to the wifi and opened the DJI Vision app!!!!!

A big thanks to all that posted before me. While swapping out a shell on my Phantom 2 I thought I would try this mod. I didn't have a sat problem before mostly got 8-11 sats, can't remember seeing anything over 11. After this mod, first flight I was at 13!! Later set a new record at 14. I even get 7-8 in my office next to a window. Before it would always be at 0. Really happy with the results. Thanks.

PhantomPhreak, awesome! Thanks for sharing :)

Re: (delete this)

Any particular reason? I found this to be one of the best tutorials on the site. Really helped me with my foil mod and gave me much better GPS signal.

Just trying not to cause any trouble here. Admin said my signature linked to a website ("Phantom Help") that had too many product links on it. This one had a lot of Amazon links at the top too.

I asked msinger to remove an affiliate link to Amazon in his signature, nothing more.
msinger's response was to delete all the post in this thread for some unknown reason.
To bad as it was a very informative thread.

LuvMyTJ, like I said, there were a bunch of Amazon links at the top of this post. I wasn't able to find the rules posted anywhere here, so I figured it would best to be safe than sorry.

msinger said:
Just trying not to cause any trouble here. Admin said my signature linked to a website ("Phantom Help") that had too many product links on it. This one had a lot of Amazon links at the top too.

This was a great thread and apparently very profitable to people that are now selling these gps shields for $25a piecein classifieds section :roll: ... I respect op msinger and appreciate his knowledge and documentation he provided to a hobbyist like myself.. its not right for people to blatantly profit from this thread imo..

And for the record phantom help is an amazing site with free diy upgrades. :!: I dont appreciate the profit made off other peoples hard work and research..

Just my .02

msinger said:
LuvMyTJ, like I said, there were a bunch of Amazon links at the top of this post. I wasn't able to find the rules posted anywhere here, so I figured it would best to be safe than sorry.

And as I said, there was no need to delete your post. Thats your prerogative I guess.

I just like learning about Phantoms -- and, sharing my knowledge.

But, since you mentioned it...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cDLZqe735k[/youtube]

LuvMyTJ said:
msinger said:

And as I said, there was no need to delete your post. Thats your prerogative I guess.

Is it cool that members are profitting from op thread?

capodrone81, pipe down -- or, the admins will be coming after you for your signature next ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20