Gimbal Flat Ribbon Flex Cable Adhesive

Reaction score
I've threaded a lot of flat ribbon cables onto gimbal assemblies. I've finally gotten to be reasonably proficient but occasionally wind up with the pesky problem where the sticky adhesive will no longer bind the ribbon cable to the gimbal spine. Early on I learned tack welding, rivets, JB Weld, and super glue were bad choices. I came up with a couple hacks to get by but never felt satisfied. I finally found the OEM adhesive used by DJI that''s available in a package size for under $100.

3M has a product line of adhesive transfer tapes designated 300LSE. They vary by length, width, and thickness of adhesive. Some are quite expensive and are only available in industrial size and quantities. However, 3M 9472LE has the OEM goo used by DJI. And you don't have to buy a 100' role of 1" wide tape. Amazon has a pack of five 1" x 4" strips for $8.38 (6/27/19). It's perfect!

Experience has taught me to NOT cut these strips with scissors! It screws up the adhesive transfer process. Use a single edge razor or an X-Acto knife. Once you've cut out your adhesive strip, peel back the strip's protective cover exposing the adhesive gel. Apply the gel side of the remaining strip TO THE GIMBAL - NOT THE TAPE - and pressure it onto the metal spine with a Q-Tip or cotton tipped wooden applicator stick (best). Use a sharp pick or fine tip tweezers to remove the backing from the gel. Position your flat ribbon appropriately then apply pressure with a cotton tipped wooden applicator. You're done.

My first few attempts were clumsy and didn't go well. Applying the gel strip to the flat wire was an exercise in extreme frustration! Be patient and learn to work with it. Strenuously avoid touching the adhesive gel with your fingers. Manipulate the strip with minimal gel contact by using very fine tweezers, a stainless steel dental pick, or a needle. You'll get the hang of it.

Good luck!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20