How necessary is a tracker for the P3?

Reaction score
The Phantom 3 will be my first drone and I certainly do not want to lose it. I have seen a lot of discussion about tracking devices for the older versions of the phantom but not much on the p3.

How many of you are going to put a tracking device on your P3 and what one would you recommend using?

Good question. I was wondering the same thing. Also, what is the cheapest one to get (when you take into account the cost of monthly service)?

Personally, I won't even start mine up outside without my Drone-Mods tracker securely installed, and with my "Phone Number - Reward" label placed on the P3P.

I successfully use Trackimo. It allowed me to recover my P2 on a flyaway. I think it is the least expensive & smallest solution.

It is certainly cheaper than my Drone-Mods UAV Locator....but since I already own it, I Love It!

Reactions: Mike Mauk
The Phantom 3 will be my first drone and I certainly do not want to lose it. I have seen a lot of discussion about tracking devices for the older versions of the phantom but not much on the p3.

How many of you are going to put a tracking device on your P3 and what one would you recommend using?

I think it comes down to personal preference. Some people would rather have one and not need one than to need one and not have one. As for what one to use, I can only really offer advice on what not to use (personal experience). I had a fly away on a 250 quad I use for FPV stuff. Tried out one of those bluetooth trackers on it. Pretty cheap, but pretty worthless. Quad was up in a tree, I didn't get any reception from the tracker until I was under the tree against the trunk. So i hit the "alarm" button to make it chirp. Never heard it. I eventually looked up, but the BT tracker didn't really work until I was right there. Not worth it in my opinion.

Personally, I'm interested in FlyTrex live 3g offerings. I'll let some other people give feedback on how it is to install (need to open up the phantom, connect to an open port on the CANBUS, I believe), and where they mount it (people used to mount these where the new optical flow sensor goes). So for me it's a wait and see.

Flytrex. Just wish I knew how to install it on the P3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

for the drone mods and trackimo ones, where would they be mounted and what kind of skill level would be needed? I cant handle anything more than the "ducttape it to the drone" level.

UAV-Locator takes no skill or knowledge - they set it up for you and all you need to learn is how to turn it on and make a phone call, from which you receive a text/email with a map link...open the link and see where your P3 is

Personally, I'm interested in FlyTrex live 3g offerings. I'll let some other people give feedback on how it is to install (need to open up the phantom, connect to an open port on the CANBUS, I believe), and where they mount it (people used to mount these where the new optical flow sensor goes). So for me it's a wait and see.

Flytrex. Just wish I knew how to install it on the P3.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Flytrex Live 3G is the way to go. I don't fly without it. It'll install the same way as the version w/o the CANBUS, ie crack open the case and solder the power leads to the power on the main board. Won't know where that is until someone gets one and identifies the spot, but all the Flytrex requires is power so that won't be a problem. The Flytrex guys will have a new solderless option once they get a P3 to crack open too, so expect a couple months for that I'd imagine.

Reactions: Mike Mauk
for the drone mods and trackimo ones, where would they be mounted and what kind of skill level would be needed? I cant handle anything more than the "ducttape it to the drone" level.
Most will velcro them on. Some velcro them over the lights on the battery or somewhere on the body. Very easy install.

Had the Drone-Mod one and just velcroed it under the battery on mine but that won't work on this one and then went with the TK and mounted it like this . Have had it on the back of the skid also and works good ether way .With the other one ya might have to put it in some sort of case for the ties but just showing what I did .
tkio2.jpg

I'll be using my rf v16 tracker on the P3, very small and accurate but i will need to velcro it somewhere because the gimbal protector/holder i use on the vision+ will get in the way of the sensors underneath the P3.
9tnvxw.jpg

Yes, other places sell it such as sponsors on the site and Amazon.

I had planned on buying it from their website but if I can get it for the same price from a sponsor I would rather do that and support the site. Got a link to a sponsor?

Flytrex Live 3G is the way to go. I don't fly without it. It'll install the same way as the version w/o the CANBUS, ie crack open the case and solder the power leads to the power on the main board. Won't know where that is until someone gets one and identifies the spot, but all the Flytrex requires is power so that won't be a problem. The Flytrex guys will have a new solderless option once they get a P3 to crack open too, so expect a couple months for that I'd imagine.

I was considering the Flytrex option until Tahoe Ed posted that if you open the Phantom you void the warranty, not sure if you could have it installed by main dealer and keep the warranty intact?

in the end I went for the RF-V16 GPS Tracker, here is a link to the review I found

I ordered off eBay for about £22 it has been shipped but is coming from China so not sure when I will get it, I was actually worried about getting the P3A first but im not sure that will now be an issue... :(

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj