How many hours before you can say you're experienced?

The more you look, the more manuals you come across...

So I'm going to consider myself "experienced" when I can do two figure 8's... one with the nose pointed in at the center, one with the nose facing direction of travel, at full throttle.

In both directions.

I just decided that right now.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

No, I take that back... that's when I'll define myself as "skilled". Experienced is a little less than that... maybe the figure 8's, but maybe not the full throttle part!

Reactions: Loz
It depends. I don't think it's about how many hours you fly, to me it's about using all the modes and features 100%. I have about 40 hours so that could be called experienced, but since I don't fly ATTI mode much, or use headless mode to fly, to me I would say I'm semi experienced. Can fly the drone normally, but put me in control of headless mode and my experience will then be 0% lol

Neon Euc

It depends. I don't think it's about how many hours you fly, to me it's about using all the modes and features 100%. I have about 40 hours so that could be called experienced, but since I don't fly ATTI mode much, or use headless mode to fly, to me I would say I'm semi experienced. Can fly the drone normally, but put me in control of headless mode and my experience will then be 0% lol

Haha totally. Hours flying in ATTI mode is definitely much more compelling than hours flying in GPS.

Reactions: Neon Euc
9be415808cb846adef732796dd192528.jpg

8 hours and 36 minutes

How much air-time would you say you need to have in order to say you're an "experienced" pilot?

Moreso than just knowing how to pilot the drone, it's having enough time under your belt that you've encountered enough unexpected scenarios where you can deal with something going wrong.

Perhaps put in other terms, how many hours would someone need to have before you'd be comfortable lending them your drone ;)

Years.....

Reactions: Numone
Experienced means you have gone through almost all sorts of scenarios multiple times and you are in a position to guide others resolving flight issues. A good litmus test would be to fly in windy conditions in ATTI mode making multiple "8" figures up in the sky. :)

Well, with respect alokbhargava, flying figure of 8's is control and training, it's not being "experienced". I fly in atti mode every time I go out on a trip, and having had that experience meant I could comfortably recover from a compass failure without panicking. Your compatriot, Captain Chelsey Sully who landed his Airbus A320 on the Hudson River put it perfectly.. "One way of looking at this might be that for 42 years, I've been making small, regular deposits in this bank of experience, education and training. And on January 15 the balance was sufficient so that I could make a very large withdrawal."
Can I fly a figure of 8? No idea, although I'm going to give it a go now!

Reactions: Loz
No, I take that back... that's when I'll define myself as "skilled". Experienced is a little less than that... maybe the figure 8's, but maybe not the full throttle part!

Don't forget, you need to also master vertical figure 8's as well! ;)

Regardless of your current experience level it's always good to "Train" in some different situations just in case. As mentioned ATTI mode is something everyone needs to practice in and often. When things go wrong you need to have some degree of familiarity for how it's going to look and feel.

Technically, ONE.

"Do you have any experience flying drones"?

"Yes. I have experienced flying one".

Future archeologists will still be looking for the parts, but I did experience it.

Regardless of your current experience level it's always good to "Train" in some different situations just in case

Agreed. It's similar to driving. Side roads are different from freeways are different from parallel parking.

My main motivation for asking this question was to see if there was a consensus among the community of what is takes to be a "proficient" flyer. Obviously it looks like there isn't. I think it's something the industry desperately needs! We need to define standards of what it means to be proficient and practices on how to get there. IMO, that would be a huge step.

Agreed. It's similar to driving. Side roads are different from freeways are different from parallel parking.

My main motivation for asking this question was to see if there was a consensus among the community of what is takes to be a "proficient" flyer. Obviously it looks like there isn't. I think it's something the industry desperately needs! We need to define standards of what it means to be proficient and practices on how to get there. IMO, that would be a huge step.
Hehe, good example of why you can't get a consensus, someone in my family (not me) cannot parallel park after over 20 years of driving. I also have a relative that won't drive on a freeway ever ;)

Sometimes we don't know what we don't know.

I have 4 ATVS at my mountain home in colorado. I have found that when I take a beginner out they are real careful for the first day, and they don't have accidents. Then once they have a day or two of experience that is when they think they know what they are doing, and it is also when the accidents happen. Then they get real careful again for a while, and then after some more cautious driving they seem to gain the proper experience coupled with the proper respect for what can and will go wrong.
I think the same applies with drones, and the learning curve is different for each person.

Reactions: AlecW
I have 20 hours On my DJI app, and another 40 from flying DJI drones when they first came out, 5 years ago. So with 60 hours of flight time, I'm not experienced yet. I fly I train I practice for 2 hours every other Saturday. You only get experience by being consistent saying you have 25, 50, 100 hours means nothing if you have not flown in two or three or four months.

Experienced =
5 unexpected incidents +
25 hours flight simulator +
25 different environments +
25 hours reading manual +
25 hours watching relevant videos +
50 flight hours +
50 hours studying Part 107 +
250 hours reading posts +

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.