How likely it is for P4P to crash? Should I get DJI care or not?

Reaction score
Hi there,
I just bought my first Phantom 4 pro and I am super excited...Finally was able to take off and land safely (total newbie;))
Before I get out there and explore, I wanna know how likely it is that a P4P might crash...Should I get the DJI care or not?
I live in Los Angeles, CA...If Anyone lives in the area, I would love to go for a flight together to learn a few things.
Thank you for all your suggestions and feedback!

Hi and welcome
I'm assuming your question is absolutely serious [emoji848], so the P4P is exceptionally safe and very unlightly to crash, it's just that their pilots sometimes put them in harms way. It's really impossible for us to advise if you will crash, it's very possible for you, as I and many have done, to minimise chance of mishap and have heaps of fun in the process.

Some things to consider to assist you:- (before flying / much)
- put app into beginner mode.
- watch as many beginner / intro training videos you can on YouTube
- understand exactly what and how RTH operates and how to set RTH altitude, along with settings in app.
- start / early flights in safe open area away from people and high objects

Sorry if you are across all of this already, IMHO if you start carefully you should probably not be in any danger of crash or needing DJI care.

In summary put in the effort learn to be safe and you will be. Ask if you need help and best of luck [emoji106][emoji4].

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

When I got mine, it wasn't the drone crashing I was worried about, it was most definitely pilot error that was the concern!

That said, my retailer offered "all perils" insurance... and I took it.

Why?

Because I knew that no matter how thorough I am with manuals, how many videos I'd seen, how much reading I did, that I would still use the "quick start" guide (dumbest thing ever to include as a temptation for a newbie!) to get it off the ground ASAP.

...and then fly it into a wall in the living room, try to land it on the back of my truck, and watch it fly into the distance wondering how much I'd pay for insurance at that point...

They are relatively straight forward to fly out of the box, but are sophisticated, complex machines with a lot of learning to be done to fully understand and control and it doesn't just stop there... 3rd party apps, the desire for the "perfect shot", challenging terrain...

All true stories for me! Hope that helps...

c49a096c54e2d7e30f2227e11e4cedf8.jpg

Bet he didn't see that coming...

EDIT:

I'm not sure what the difference between DJI Care coverage and my retailers's "all perils" insurance is so please take my opinion for what it's worth.

All perils was $150CAD at Staples and all I have to do is find enough parts to bring back. Well worth it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
Reactions: DroneGoddess
How likely you are to crash has more to do with the operator than the drone so the answer will be different for each individual.

Regarding DJI Care, keep in mind that in the unlikely event of a crash you will have spent $250 total in initial cost and replacement fees so if a repair costs $250 you have not saved any money, only broken even. And of course you are out the initial cost even if you never need the service. And if you have an accident where you can't recover the drone, no coverage.

Certainly sometimes DJI Care can end up being a good deal, but statistically on average... probably not for most.

I know I'm the type of person who likes to take chances. It's just my nature so I bought the insurance. 2 weeks later I crashed mine into a half frozen swamp. Luckily my kids were able to retrieve it for me (for a small fee...lol) and everything seemed to be ok but now I get constant compass errors and other weird stuff. Moral of the story is I'm going away over seas for about 3.5 weeks so I'll send it out to have them look it over and hopefully it'll be back by the time I get home. I for one am glad I bought it and you will be too the first time you fly it into a forest by accident. Lol iif you have the money it's worth it just for the peace of mind if you ask me...

Has a newbi of a P3s, the manuals are very basic that leave a lot of info to learn from experience. The videos are numerous and some well thought out. Still they can omit some important info. There is definitely a learning curve. Go slow use beginner mode until you gain flight skills. If your your gonna all out, out of the box get the care program. Have fun and good luck

You will eventually crash (small or big) the question is when and how (pilot or AC problem).
You see this bit of wisdom frequently but it's not true. Real (non-UAV) pilots don't believe it, nor do most passengers, or no one with any sense would ever fly. Besides, not every crash will be benefited by DJI care anyway. As above, it's not cost effective for minor incidents, major incidents where you lose the aircraft aren't covered, and it's only good for one year. There is essentially a window of usability, and to suggest that everyone will experience a crash that falls within this window is just wrong.

Last edited:
I've been flying drones for a few years now, in this hobby it is not a matter of " if you crash " it's a matter of " when you crash ".

I'd get DJI Care Refresh for several reasons:

It will help you protect your investment not only against crashes but other external factors such as water damage. Water damage could be caused by flying in the ocean crashing / landing the aircraft in the middle of the water but could also come from rain.

It also helps expedite the repair process if you have to send in your drone for warranty repair.

You see this bit of wisdom frequently but it's not true.

Fundamentally, I don't disagree...

BUT...

I got into motorcycles late in life... first cruiser at 40, and the same is often said there... that it's not IF you drop it but WHEN...

And in that case I entirely agree with you. I think you can go your whole life without dropping a motorcycle, with the right approach, safety consciousness, attitude... or I wouldn't have gotten into it.

But on what was probably my third P3S flight, I lined myself up and made a run through a set of football uprights on a vacant field. I want to develop my skills, control, sense of sight and location awareness...

These are the chances you can take when learning and flying a drone. Skimming treetops for a beautiful shot, flying 20' above the waves when a jet ski catches air...

It's highly unlikely the pilot of a passenger liner will make a speed run between radio towers. I'll never spot a pair of road cones at a distance and try to take a speed run through them on my bike. And if I do, I have insurance for that too.

It's ok to take safe, calculated chances with these things, and a bit of "insurance confidence" helps, during the learning curve of the first year. At least for me.

It's ok to take safe, calculated chances with these things, and a bit of "insurance confidence" helps, during the learning curve of the first year. At least for me.
Yes, I think that's a reasonable point of view. The hassle of getting it repaired and the uncertainly of exactly what you would end up with when the dust settles is enough to make me resist taking unnecessary chances, but if you do it is at least some kind of security. That is if you do enough damage to make DJI cost-effective and if you successfully recover the drone, etc. The equation just doesn't work for me but I can see that it might for some. What I was mostly objecting to is the blanket 'everyone will crash' mentality.

The hassle of getting it repaired and the uncertainly of exactly what you would end up with when the dust settles is enough to make me resist taking unnecessary chances, but if you do it is at least some kind of security

Couldn't possibly agree more. Insurance is not a given... and for that matter, I have no interest in "testing" the coverage. These things aren't cheap and I want to fly it, not smash it or lose it or send it away for repair.

And typically I don't take extended warranties... I'm a believer that the money you save on them, cumulatively, pays for any costs you incur.

But for this one... seemed like a good idea!

I'm not one to buy insurance for anything if I have the option, but for my first drone I thought it was a good idea. These were my reasons. First, I'm a new pilot, and even taking it slow there is still a lot going on, and a small mistake could result in a large repair bill. Second, I'm a risk taker and flying close to objects or low to the ground is fun and makes the shots that much better. The last reason was water damage. As soon as DJI announced it was going to cover water damage I for sure made up my mind. I fly over lakes all the time now with no hesitation, and I'm not worried about rain or flying in foggy/misty conditions.

I have already crashed my P4P twice. The first time i was flying sideways and was not aware of how close I was to some branches, flying very slow and not that far up off the ground. I made a silly mistake of not being aware of the surroundings. Camera/gimbal was ripped away from the drone. Second crash I was flying extremely low over the ice at full speed and the wind must have affected the dorne enough to drop in height/ along with losing video transmission signal, I should have just gone left stick up, but I didn't, drone crashed in the ice, battery flew out. Getting the drone was the difficult part as the lake was barely fully frozen and I did not attach my Getterback to the drone for this flight. So I had to come up with a rescue mission before the ice thawed out and it sank to the bottom of the lake. I was able to get it and there was no damage.

I also have a Mavic and have not had any crashes with it and have more flight time with it. You just never know with these things. I'm obviously a new pilot and I recommend any new pilot some type of insurance.

Last edited:
Getting the drone was the difficult part as the lake was barely fully frozen and I did not attach my Getterback to the drone for this flight.

I plan on doing a lot of lake flying this summer and have been contemplating pontoon systems...

Why did I not think of a Getterback? I'm so newbie. eBay here I come. [emoji4]

I think for the first year I would. That's the learning, and experimenting time. Normally the more time, the lower the chances of a crash happening. BUT, that isn't always the case. As they say, $hit happens.

You'll probably crash so I'd get it. The best videos are shot in atti mode so eventually you'll want to take the training wheels off. I live in LA but mostly fly outside the city because I'm 107.

Thank you all for your feedback! I am convinced that it is worth it for me to get the insurance for the first year so I will have some peace of mind. I am a risk-taker too and I always like to push the limits ( my own & the drone's [emoji4]) so I better be safe than sorry.

You'll probably crash so I'd get it. The best videos are shot in atti mode so eventually you'll want to take the training wheels off. I live in LA but mostly fly outside the city because I'm 107.

What do you mean you are 107? That can't be your age?! [emoji848]

When I got mine, it wasn't the drone crashing I was worried about, it was most definitely pilot error that was the concern!

That said, my retailer offered "all perils" insurance... and I took it.

Why?

Because I knew that no matter how thorough I am with manuals, how many videos I'd seen, how much reading I did, that I would still use the "quick start" guide (dumbest thing ever to include as a temptation for a newbie!) to get it off the ground ASAP.

...and then fly it into a wall in the living room, try to land it on the back of my truck, and watch it fly into the distance wondering how much I'd pay for insurance at that point...

They are relatively straight forward to fly out of the box, but are sophisticated, complex machines with a lot of learning to be done to fully understand and control and it doesn't just stop there... 3rd party apps, the desire for the "perfect shot", challenging terrain...

All true stories for me! Hope that helps...

c49a096c54e2d7e30f2227e11e4cedf8.jpg

Bet he didn't see that coming...

EDIT:

I'm not sure what the difference between DJI Care coverage and my retailers's "all perils" insurance is so please take my opinion for what it's worth.

All perils was $150CAD at Staples and all I have to do is find enough parts to bring back. Well worth it for me.

That's an amazing shot!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.