How Great is the New Camera!!

Reaction score
We get a lot of posts about the new camera in the P4P and I just thought this example of how much you can do with the RAW files might be of interest to those with any doubts about the improvements in the new camera.
Before and after images.....quite amazing, don't you think?
I should point out that I am a very experienced photographer and it does take time to learn the skills to achieve this kind of result. However if you stick at it the results are quite rewarding (and remarkable!)
BLTownHall0736vPP.jpg
TownHall0736pp.jpg

Wow that turned out great! I'm fairly amateur when it comes to post processing in lightroom. Would you be willing to share just a few of the most important or useful things you can do to cleanup pictures like this? Is shooting in RAW necessary to achieve this effect?

Wow that turned out great! I'm fairly amateur when it comes to post processing in lightroom. Would you be willing to share just a few of the most important or useful things you can do to cleanup pictures like this? Is shooting in RAW necessary to achieve this effect?
Yes, RAW is a must. Its a fairly complicated process to bring out the detail in the shadows without affecting the sky. I don't use Lightroom, this was done in Photoshop, however I think you can do a lot of this sort of work in LR. I would suggest you look for tutorial videos on Youtube that would be a great help. It does take time and persistence, and many bad, overcooked images, before you get the results you are after!

Reactions: Falcon900
Hey ATPhoto, I received my P4P yesterday and I'm in [emoji7], your photo here is like I couldn't imagine doing, what settings would you use to start shooting something like that?

Sent from my Pixel XL using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hey ATPhoto, I received my P4P yesterday and I'm in [emoji7], your photo here is like I couldn't imagine doing, what settings would you use to start shooting something like that?

Sent from my Pixel XL using PhantomPilots mobile app
Settings were.... 1/80second, f2.8, ISO 100. I think this image is a fantastic example of the detail you can pull out of the shadows. As I mentioned above RAW is a must. Its a fairly complicated process to bring out the detail in the shadows without affecting the sky. I don't use Lightroom, this was done in Photoshop, however I think you can do a lot of this sort of work in LR. I would suggest you look for tutorial videos on Youtube that would be a great help. It does take time and persistence, and many bad, overcooked images, before you get the results you are after!

Yes, RAW is a must. Its a fairly complicated process to bring out the detail in the shadows without affecting the sky. I don't use Lightroom, this was done in Photoshop, however I think you can do a lot of this sort of work in LR. I would suggest you look for tutorial videos on Youtube that would be a great help. It does take time and persistence, and many bad, overcooked images, before you get the results you are after!
I can confirm, I have Lightroom 4 and this is possible, although I have not seen such a drastic amount of detail pulled out of the RAW image. Cheers!

Great shot! I too am a nature and wildlife photographer and shoot raw/jpg to do fast screening but always post process my raw images. This 1 inch sensor on the P4P with F2.8 was surprisingly good here.

997792a7e503b95571dfd7377060123f.jpg

Raw allowed me to dial these in when I was in Africa

0dc7275b3316c3ec80dc26a4e40b399d.jpg

07505dd70ea8e2dbff82f285b7b0907d.jpg

Nothing beats raw and Lightroom.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Third flight on my new P4P I couldn't resist running out to shoot this sunset. Quick HDR shot using manual settings and minimal editing for color and contrast resulted in this. Not the caliber of the photos above but still a good indication of what a neophyte can do with this amazing camera.
ElbertSunset.jpg

Reactions: AyeYo
Agreed. I am amazed every day, but especially in challenging lighting. It's magic and progressing so rapidly. I didn't expect to be getting such good results so quickly since the time I first inserted the battery into my P1, not that long ago. Each day since then I've been thinking about flying a DSLR in a big rig. Hardly a need now.

Imagine the P8 for a moment. Rayban size goggles with voice commands and FX sensor anyone?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj