How do you increase exposure time?

I think I have figured it out, I set the ISO to 100 and spun the wheel all the way over then to 3 which I think is a 3 second exposure correct? Anyway I took some HDR pictures at what I think was a 3 second exposure (note taillight blue in picture 4), as was mentioned it took several tries each to get a non blurry one, but these are the best (I have done nothing in post, I just saved them directly from the Go app, I haven't even pulled the memery card yet):

image_zpstxdlctyd.jpeg

image_zps0dzjhyag.jpeg

image_zpsapmdj6ag.jpeg

image_zpsbkljqcpt.jpeg

image_zpstnacntuj.jpeg

So how did I do?
Well done!!!

So, I just checked and the DJI P4 sensors in the camera are 100% definitely a Sony 1/2.3-inch Sony Exmor R sensor with an ISO range of 100-1600 (100-3200 for video), a 20mm (35mm equiv.) lens with a 94° field of view, and DNG support.

I think I have figured it out, I set the ISO to 100 and spun the wheel all the way over then to 3 which I think is a 3 second exposure correct? Anyway I took some HDR pictures at what I think was a 3 second exposure (note taillight blue in picture 4), as was mentioned it took several tries each to get a non blurry one, but these are the best (I have done nothing in post, I just saved them directly from the Go app, I haven't even pulled the memery card yet):

image_zpstxdlctyd.jpeg

image_zps0dzjhyag.jpeg

image_zpsapmdj6ag.jpeg

image_zpsbkljqcpt.jpeg

image_zpstnacntuj.jpeg

So how did I do?

Very nice work. Good job. You've got the hang of it. Once you are comfortable it becomes much easier. Well done.

So, I just checked and the DJI P4 sensors in the camera are 100% definitely a Sony 1/2.3-inch Sony Exmor R sensor with an ISO range of 100-1600 (100-3200 for video), a 20mm (35mm equiv.) lens with a 94° field of view, and DNG support.

Really? I knew the P3 had the Sony Exmor sensor as does the Inspire X3 (I think), but I thought the P4's sensor was an in house design. Have you seen any night shots between a P4 and P3? I would be curious to see the DNR and shadow recovery.

5-8 seconds? No way. You need a tripod generally over three seconds and you think you can get a moving, vibrating, drifting platform to give clear, non-blurry images at 5-8 seconds. Even in zero wind the images will be blurry at that shutter speed.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
4f33eb5fa76a4fff7f210cfe77689354.jpg

I shot this at night with a 1/30 sec shutter speed.
So is your mind changed now? You've been shown a few examples:)

So is your mind changed now? You've been shown a few examples:)

Not really. For me to be 100% sure, I would need to see it for myself. You're saying a P4 can out perform my Nikon D810 on a Benro Tripod with an Arca Swiss head. I would ask for EXIF data but that can easily be copied. Here is a shot I took over Helsinki. Exposure time 15 minutes. Yes, I am being a bit cheeky but in my opinion, you are not going to get very sharp images at 8 seconds in a hovering, vibrating, wind moved, propeller washed drone. We will have to agree to disagree.

Attachments

• Helsinki at night.jpg
    Helsinki at night.jpg
    654.2 KB · Views: 245
IMG_0582.JPG
Not really. For me to be 100% sure, I would need to see it for myself. You're saying a P4 can out perform my Nikon D810 on a Benro Tripod with an Arca Swiss head. I would ask for EXIF data but that can easily be copied. Here is a shot I took over Helsinki. Exposure time 15 minutes. Yes, I am being a bit cheeky but in my opinion, you are not going to get very sharp images at 8 seconds in a hovering, vibrating, wind moved, propeller washed drone. We will have to agree to disagree.
Way to beat around the bush!!!

How in the hell did you come up with me comparing the phantom camera with a Nikon? I simply stated you can take an 8 second exposure with the P4 and showed you. Here's another:). This ones 5 seconds as your original post stated "5-8 seconds".

View attachment 66863

How in the hell did you come up with me comparing the phantom camera with a Nikon? I simply stated you can take an 8 second exposure with the P4 and showed you. Here's another:). This ones 5 seconds as your original post stated "5-8 seconds".

Do you know the phrase "to beat around the bush?" I thought my answer pretty simple and direct. I said, I disagree with you. Pretty direct. No obfuscation, no wondering where I stand.

As for your image. Great, wonderful, BIE (Best Image Ever). I don't want to belabor the point. If you say it is 5 second, then it is. If you say it's 8 seconds then it is. How about and hour? I agree with you, it's an hour. You have your opinion and I have mine. Again, no beating around the bush.

Agreed. People talk about Sony cameras having great night time ability and it is true but that is all they have. The menu system is a disaster and the sensors, while being amazing provide very little DNR. I shoot a Nikon D810 (best DNR on a non medium format camera) and a D500 and there is no question about the performance of either of these.
I've always felt that Nikon makes the best cameras, but admittedly Canon has come real close in recent years with the 1D series and the 5D MarkIII (and now Mark !V). Still, the Sony sensors in the Nikons are much better at detail and clarity than the Canon cameras. The one advantage Canon has always had is their amazing L-glass - IF you can afford it!

Last edited:
Ok so I took it to the next level.. lol. Here's 29 back to back 6 second exposures compiled into a lil vid:). Hope you guys enjoy.

The biggest problem here is the the camera in the P4 is great for day and video but it is terrible for low light or night shooting. It is simply not large enough to collect the amount of light needed to take decent night images. However, there is a balance to be had. Try to stay close to say ISO 400 or maybe a bit higher. Also, as the P4 is a moving, vibrating platform that is very stable, it still vibrates and drifts so also try to limit your exposure time unless you want that creative blur effect. I shoot at night often, but I am a photographer and I know the limits of shooting at night when using expensive DSLR's or the P4. Also, use some sort of noise reduction (digital noise) software to remove some of the DN that will inevitably be produced.

i agreed that's why I don't want to shoot at night scene the noise on p3 or p4 is horrible. can't expect to much for a tiny sensor. i'm going wait for next phantom 10 with full frame sensor lol. I guess we spoiled coming from photography perspective.

klnyc

I've always felt that Nikon makes the best cameras, but admittedly Canon has come real close in recent years with the 1D series and the 5D MarkIII (and now Mark !V). Still, the Sony sensors in the Nikons are much better at detail and clarity than the Canon cameras. The one advantage Canon has always had is their amazing L-glass - IF you can afford it!

Totally agree with you there. Sony makes the sensors but Nikon tweaks them for their usage. The DNR in the D810 is simply amazing. I included a shot I took while in Iceland. One image only, no HDR or stacking. I simply under exposed a bit and then dug out the shadows in post processing Nikon glass is on par with Canon L-Glass. When you pay upwards of $2000 or more for a lens it better be good. :)

Attachments

• Lighthouse.jpg
    Lighthouse.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 236
i agreed that's why I don't want to shoot at night scene the noise on p3 or p4 is horrible. can't expect to much for a tiny sensor. i'm going wait for next phantom 10 with full frame sensor lol. I guess we spoiled coming from photography perspective.

klnyc

Right on. The image quality on the P3 and P4 is good enough for most people. As photographers, we tend to see things that others might miss and demand more. In daylight, the sensor is quite okay, and even the video is good enough. I have friends who produce videos and they are quite impressed with the daytime video quality. Just a bit of color grading here and there and they are happy with the end result. I am debating if I want to get an Inspire RAW so that I can slap on a MFT lens and go night shooting. :) I shot this one night while flying over Helsinki. I have a friend that works for the local news agency and she got me inside near the tv tower. Next time I will try to get above it and then shoot downward.

Attachments

• Helsinki at night church.jpg
    Helsinki at night church.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 231
Totally agree with you there. Sony makes the sensors but Nikon tweaks them for their usage. The DNR in the D810 is simply amazing. I included a shot I took while in Iceland. One image only, no HDR or stacking. I simply under exposed a bit and then dug out the shadows in post processing Nikon glass is on par with Canon L-Glass. When you pay upwards of $2000 or more for a lens it better be good. :)
While I cannot speak from personal experience regarding comparisons of Nikon glass and Canon L-glass, most reviews I have seen show the the Canon glass out-performing Nikon in key areas such as clarity, contrast, and overall optical rendering. Granted, the differences are minute and Nikkor lenses are extremely good, but that view is fairly consistent in comparisons I've seen.
I'm one of those people who wants to trade my Canon gear over for Nikon because of the better cameras Nikon makes, but that Canon L-glass keeps me from doing so. I'll have to see more reviews for better Nikon glass before I make that leap. Or, maybe Canon will save me the trouble and come out with a sensor that compares better with the ones in the Nikons.

While I cannot speak from personal experience regarding comparisons of Nikon glass and Canon L-glass, most reviews I have seen show the the Canon glass out-performing Nikon in key areas such as clarity, contrast, and overall optical rendering. Granted, the differences are minute and Nikkor lenses are extremely good, but that view is fairly consistent in comparisons I've seen.
I'm one of those people who wants to trade my Canon gear over for Nikon because of the better cameras Nikon makes, but that Canon L-glass keeps me from doing so. I'll have to see more reviews for better Nikon glass before I make that leap. Or, maybe Canon will save me the trouble and come out with a sensor that compares better with the ones in the Nikons.

Exactly! I shoot nikon too, but anybody in the know, knows Canon makes way better glass. Just compare the two 70-200 2.8 pieces..... lol

But I guess every "photographers perspective" is different:)

I have to agree with you there. Canon glass is very good when compared to some Nikon glass models. The one lens from Nikon that is so good that Canon users a Metabones mount to cross mount the lens is the Nikon 14-24mm. It is truly superb. Very sharp all the way to the edges. Only thing is, the lens is so darned bulky and heavy. On the last iPhone 6, the aurora picture was taken by a Norwegian photographer who uses a Canon but mounted the 14-24mm on his camera and shoots everything in manual. Ah to dream of one day having this good a quality on a P(X). :)

Exactly! I shoot nikon too, but anybody in the know, knows Canon makes way better glass. Just compare the two 70-200 2.8 pieces..... lol

But I guess every "photographers perspective" is different:)

Way better? Not so much but some lenses for sure. No doubt about that. Now Zeiss is the way to go. I am considering the Zeiss 15mm Distagon.

I shoot Canon and have a decent choice of L glass. It's great stuff, but like all things unless you are in the very top percentile of professionals (which I am NOT) the difference between Nikkor and Canon L is going to be insignificant for the same class of lens (prime, zoom, aperture etc.). My favourites, for sheer image quality out of camera are the 200mm f/1.8 L (old, wonderful sports lens) and the 100mm f/2.8 L Macro IS. Friends with Nikon get some great shots too in similar conditions.

When it comes to my P4 I am still getting to grips with the settings and have not spent enough time with the DNG files, but I am really impressed with its still and video quality considering the physical challenges of keeping the camera stable and the size of the optics.

Hey Peter, DNG files are an Adobe creation to provide a sort of across the board open standard for image files. I can open them in Lightroom or Aperture and they process just fine. After editing, I convert to .jpg, and either print or store the images.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj