How do you increase exposure time?

IMG_1269.PNG
I can not for the life of me find the file with an 8 second shot. I thought for sure I posted on this site, but I didn't. I posted it on FB. So the best I could for you all is screen shot it, and post a link:/. Pretty sure FB cuts the file size in 1/2, and not sure what a screen shot does for clarity, so critique away!:). Not saying this is the clearest shot blown up to 75%, just saying the P4 is most definitely stable enough to pull it off. Hell I have some killer GoPro shots with a 4 second shutter hanging off a different quad that is no where near as stable as a P4.

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...98688791.1073741829.100011463372702&source=48

Reactions: deltalimatango
The best camera is the one with a good photographer behind it. Cameras don't take good pics, photographers do.

Best post ever!!!! I have great gear and know how to use it. It's a symbiotic relationship. A good to fantastic camera does not make for even mediocre image if the photographer has no clue what he is doing.

Thanks WildonFlyer for spot on post.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Peter Galbavy
Deltalimatango.. u have a problem mate. I was on about the best lowlight camera. But wtever. One post of mine just trew u off . Wt a funny dude. Why dnt u make ur own post on how to not tell anybody wt to do. Man u something else bro.

I actually wanna slap u right now coz u dnt respect ppl. Man reading ur post makes me angry. U angry at sony and u pointing on me coz i hv an opinion.

Deltalimatango.. u have a problem mate. I was on about the best lowlight camera. But wtever. One post of mine just trew u off . Wt a funny dude. Why dnt u make ur own post on how to not tell anybody wt to do. Man u something else bro.

You made a statement: Sony A7xxx best camera. You didn't say low light, you didn't say anything except make an arbitrary statement that meant nothing to the discussion. As you can see, everyone here except YOU made a contribution to the discussion and tried to offer valid help. Making a subjective statement about your camera added nothing to the discussion. If you want to talk about cameras, the Nikon D5 will blow the Sony out of the water in low-light performance and usable images at high ISO.

I am not your bro.

I actually wanna slap u right now coz u dnt respect ppl. Man reading ur post makes me angry. U angry at sony and u pointing on me coz i hv an opinion.

Actually I respect people. I don't respect FUD or inaccuracies passed off as facts. While I think your facts are merely opinions, I still respect you as a person.

P.S. I would let you take the first swing to "try" and slap me. However, I will not be responsible for your hospital bills. I am not angry at Sony. I do not like their cameras, but I love their sensors.

I shot this one night flying over Helsinki, Finland

EXIF data:
1/13 Sec @ f/2.8
EV Bias -3
ISO 1600

I used Noiseless or DFine (can't remember) to remove digital noise.

Attachments

• 20160804-DJI_0120-Edit.jpg
    20160804-DJI_0120-Edit.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 221
Reactions: LV632553
What a tough guy you are.... behind your computer screen. Wtever dude.

Do you have read comprehension problems? You said you wanted to slap me. Who's the tough guy here? I only answered with he the hope that you would see how stupid your post actually was but it was too sophisticated for you. Sorry. Next time I'll use smaller words and dumb it down for you. Do you have anything of relevance to add to this discussion?

Do you have access to take shots again? Would love to see side by side to i.e. iso 100 1 to 2 sec exps. Yours are sharp, but dark. It's hard to lighten on high iso shots due to the grain. Beautiful place, nice to see a city without a MacDonalds, BurgerKing, etc on every corner.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Do you have access to take shots again? Would love to see side by side to i.e. iso 100 1 to 2 sec exps. Yours are sharp, but dark. It's hard to lighten on high iso shots due to the grain. Beautiful place, nice to see a city without a MacDonalds, BurgerKing, etc on every corner.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Cheers dude. To whom are you speaking? Which photos?

Thanks.. i used a sony a7s ii! Hehe jk. Its easier if theres a nice landscape at night . And no wind. I actually prefer taking pics at night.

Hope these are a bit better. I push the contrast to hide the noise. Processed with Noiseless software to help with the image. Not so dark. I have access to fly over the city. Just finding the time is the hard thing.

Attachments

• 20160820-DJI_0025.jpg
    20160820-DJI_0025.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 278
Reactions: LV632553
I'm interested to see how the D500 performs, I am exited by technology and would have moved to the D810 if I hadn't invested as much in Canons L series glass over the years. It pulls the pants down on my 1 series bodies (pretty sure it sports a Sony sensor also). I also have an EM1 that I take pretty much everywhere and am impressed with it for what it is.

Apologies to all. esp the OP for taking this off track. I will try and contribute something relating to the topic.

Shoot in manual with standard settings and RAW file type with your histogram active. Limit yourself to a maximum of 3 seconds exposure and increase your ISO so that you are exposing to the right of the histogram. Often the brightest of the lights in the scene can be over exposed without detriment in the final image and this is a good general compromise to make the darker areas of the scene less noisy and with better detail. A good strategy to get cleaner final images it to shoot multiple frames and stack, align and perform a median merge in photoshop. Even 5 or 6 stacked images will give you a significant reduction in random sensor noise. If your looking to produce a reasonably sized print you can also shoot panos which will give you a higher megapixel file with less apparent issues in your print at a given size.

But how do I do that? How do I even know what the exposure time is? Is it just ISO I am moving, what ISO correspomds to what exposure time?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj