How do you increase exposure time?

Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out my settings for night flying. I want to take some long exposure stills but I still can't figure out how to set that up. How do I change exposure time? Can someone walk me through it?

once you change the camera from auto to manual , (i believe this is the default setting for the C2 button). you can manually adjust ISO and shutter speed, just remember the higher the iso the more noise. and the slower the shutter (longer exposure) the more blur you will see if the phantom drifts. find a good balance

The biggest problem here is the the camera in the P4 is great for day and video but it is terrible for low light or night shooting. It is simply not large enough to collect the amount of light needed to take decent night images. However, there is a balance to be had. Try to stay close to say ISO 400 or maybe a bit higher. Also, as the P4 is a moving, vibrating platform that is very stable, it still vibrates and drifts so also try to limit your exposure time unless you want that creative blur effect. I shoot at night often, but I am a photographer and I know the limits of shooting at night when using expensive DSLR's or the P4. Also, use some sort of noise reduction (digital noise) software to remove some of the DN that will inevitably be produced.

I use P3Adv to take this photo the setting are pretty much the same on the P4 :

Change to manual mode
ISO 100
Shutter speed 2 sec

For P4 its a much better machine for stability I think you can grad the shutter speed up to 5-8sec depending on the height and wind speed.

ee5666ebe69a380b66f587775c36df1e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

5-8 seconds? No way. You need a tripod generally over three seconds and you think you can get a moving, vibrating, drifting platform to give clear, non-blurry images at 5-8 seconds. Even in zero wind the images will be blurry at that shutter speed.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
4f33eb5fa76a4fff7f210cfe77689354.jpg

I shot this at night with a 1/30 sec shutter speed.

IMG_0511.JPG
You guys are funny:)

I have an 8 second exposure around here somewhere as do many others. The P4 is definitely capable. Here's my latest shot last weekend I think. Shot at 1 sec and ISO at 100.

Regardless, on a calm night you can get 2 sec 100iso shots that look stunning. I shoot a set at each step from 1-2 sec to pick from. Some may be blurred, but majority are good, it's amazing if it can hold that good. Most of the great night shots I've seen were posted on this forum

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
While we're on this topic, has anybody ever figured out how to change exposure compensation at the bottom? I've never been able to change it and sometimes it self-adjusts to levels I want to override. I assume this is not configurable or have I missed something?

Cameras are just a part of it. Yo need good and capable sensors. DJI uses in house sensors on the P4. If they had used maybe the Sony sensors, night imaging would be better.

once you change the camera from auto to manual , (i believe this is the default setting for the C2 button). you can manually adjust ISO and shutter speed, just remember the higher the iso the more noise. and the slower the shutter (longer exposure) the more blur you will see if the phantom drifts. find a good balance

When I switch to manual I see where I can adjust the ISO but I see nothing that mentions shutter speed. How exactly do I do it?

Bear in mind I am completely new to photography and have no idea what ISO even means, let alone stops, and all the other settings your talking about.

When I switch to manual I see where I can adjust the ISO but I see nothing that mentions shutter speed. How exactly do I do it?

Bear in mind I am completely new to photography and have no idea what ISO even means, let alone stops, and all the other settings your talking about.

Understanding Exposure by Brian Petersen. Best 2 hours you will ever spend if you truly want to understand.

You really want honest advice? Quads are not the place to learn photography. Get your phone or a decent camera and learn what all this stuff means. Until then, set your camera to Auto and enjoy your multi. Two totally different hobbies.

You asked. :)

On the bottom right of the screen you see three lines with a dot on each line. Here is where you switch into the adjustment settings but you need to move the camera slider from Auto to M. Once here, look at my images and you will see how to adjust the shutter and ISO.

To add to what WilsonFlyer said, drone photography is not a place to learn, however you don't want to live your life on Auto. It takes practice. I am a photographer so I know the relationship between ISO, Aperture settings, and shutter speed. Shoot on Auto for a while then shift to manual. Read the user manual to know how to adjust the settings while in flight. I rarely use Auto but I understand how things work and have a bit more experience. It is not hard, nor magic. It just takes patience and practice. You will be fine and don't be hard on yourself.

Attachments

• IMG_0015.PNG
    IMG_0015.PNG
    296.7 KB · Views: 539
  • IMG_0016.PNG
    IMG_0016.PNG
    296.8 KB · Views: 596
  • IMG_0017.PNG
    IMG_0017.PNG
    282.1 KB · Views: 542
While we're on this topic, has anybody ever figured out how to change exposure compensation at the bottom? I've never been able to change it and sometimes it self-adjusts to levels I want to override. I assume this is not configurable or have I missed something?

Nope. I have not found a way. The EV levels are linked together in both manual and auto. If you adjust the EV in auto, then the Iso changes. If you adjust the ISO in manual, the EV changes. Pretty stupid in my opinion.

Cameras are just a part of it. Yo need good and capable sensors. DJI uses in house sensors on the P4. If they had used maybe the Sony sensors, night imaging would be better.
Please enlighten us on the basis for your confidence the P4 uses a new proprietary sensor. The consensus to date, including the little official commentary available from DJI, is that the P4 camera is the same as that in the P3P with the exception of a higher quality lens assembly. It is highly unlikely DJI has entered the sensor design and manufacturing business.

Quite simple. On the DJI site, they mentioned the sensors of the previous Phantoms, but will not disclose the sensor in the P4. They disclose this for the Inspire, the OSMO as well, but not for the P4. As a photographer, I'm pretty good with determining sensor quality. No, I have not done MTF analysis on it but considering I've shot with the best optical sensors on the market: (Nikon D3S, Nikon D4, D4S, current Nikon D810, and in a few hours a Nikon D500), I would say that I have an idea about how a sensor is performing and the sensor in the P4 is not that great. This is my opinion and you are welcomed to accept or not. I know what I am talking about and how to shoot and how to get the most out of any camera sensor.

Attachments

• Phantoms.jpg
    Phantoms.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 440

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic