How crazy is this?

Reaction score
As you know at about 500ft the P2V becomes almost invisible. At 1300 ft it is. I had a thought of attaching a red crepe paper streamer to the bottom skid. I wonder if the constant downward wind flow from the props would always keep the ribbon down, away from the props. My fear is during descent it gets into the props, causing a bad return to earth from 1,000 feet. I've already had to depend on 'return to home' twice. It worked both times. I'll tell you though, from 500- 1,200 ft, it takes awhile before it shows up ;)
Any thoughts on visibilty?

BTW, white was not the best idea for P2V. But it sure looks cool.

Hovtech said:
As you know at about 500ft the P2V becomes almost invisible. At 1300 ft it is. I had a thought of attaching a red crepe paper streamer to the bottom skid. I wonder if the constant downward wind flow from the props would always keep the ribbon down, away from the props. My fear is during descent it gets into the props, causing a bad return to earth from 1,000 feet. I've already had to depend on 'return to home' twice. It worked both times. I'll tell you though, from 500- 1,200 ft, it takes awhile before it shows up ;)

I've seen someone do something similar and it got wrapped up in a motor / prop and sent his phantom downwards at a high rate of speed.

Hovtech said:

What about a high intensity LED strobe? Avoid ANYTHING that COULD get caught in the props. You will only regret it.

neiloakley said:
Hovtech said:

What about a high intensity LED strobe? Avoid ANYTHING that COULD get caught in the props. You will only regret it.

high intensity LED strobes have beenb done successfully.

I attached a 2000 lumen flashlight to my P2 and it was pretty cool to see while flying around at night. Like a flying spotlight in the night sky.

Jeez why did i see this post--I'm going to try that me thinks

Please let me know which one you used

Hovtech said:

You could just wait for a Cessna or other manned aircraft to hit it at that altitude making it easy to see... :roll:

I went out for a flight last weekend. I was 75m directly above when i heard a cessna coming from somewhere. It popped up over the tree line lower than the P2. No airport nearby, and if he was practicing a forced landing then he took it too far. I have my PPL and I always go around at about 300-400 feet.

Lesson learnt - always turn on the GoPro :)

Actually admitting you went over the 400 foot threshold.....tut tut.... This hobby is getting bad credit all the time....really don't need anymore. The CAA/FAA monitor these sites!!

porl_hopkins said:
Actually admitting you went over the 400 foot threshold.....tut tut.... This hobby is getting bad credit all the time....really don't need anymore. The CAA/FAA monitor these sites!!

neiloakley said:
I went out for a flight last weekend. I was 75m directly above when i heard a cessna coming from somewhere. It popped up over the tree line lower than the P2. No airport nearby, and if he was practicing a forced landing then he took it too far. I have my PPL and I always go around at about 300-400 feet.

Sorry but where did you read that I admitted to going over 400ft?

Maybe you got confused.

My quad was at 75m and a light aircraft (C152) flew past lower than my quad. I then made reference to my private pilots license and said that I never fly below 3-400 feet when practising an engine failure (unless it's a glide approach to an airfield).

neiloakley said:
porl_hopkins said:

neiloakley said:

Sorry but where did you read that I admitted to going over 400ft?

Maybe you got confused.

My quad was at 75m and a light aircraft (C152) flew past lower than my quad. I then made reference to my private pilots license and said that I never fly below 3-400 feet when practising an engine failure (unless it's a glide approach to an airfield).

Wasnt meant for you neiloakley..... First post..... :!:

porl_hopkins said:
Wasnt meant for you neiloakley..... First post..... :!:

:oops:

Perhaps the OP had permission from ATC

ANO Section 166 said:
.......... must not fly the aircraft—
(c)at a height of more than 400 feet above the surface unless it is flying in airspace described in sub-paragraph (a) or (b) and in accordance with the requirements for that airspace.

What about a high intensity LED strobe? Avoid ANYTHING that COULD get caught in the props. You will only regret it.[/quote]

i fitted a xenon strobe into one of the led light covers and to be honest it didnt make a whole lot of difference to visibility. It was great at night could see it miles away but in day time it didnt do a whole lot. Also i had it mounted in one of the front led pods and as a result you could intermittently see a white flash on the video.

Hovtech said:
With that exact thought in mind, i ordered this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C4U ... UTF8&psc=1

I have a few sets of these around my house. http://www.lifegear.com/tactical-flashlights/lgw-300-lumen-flashlight

- Three modes include high, low, and strobe
- CREE 300 lumen (high) / 100 lumens (low)
- 290 meter beam distance on high / 108 meter beam distance on low

The front light housing unscrews and weighs 49.1 grams, 2" by 1.25". On strobe setting it is very noticeable.
Still brainstorming...

300-lumen-large_1.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj