OK, is this crazy or not?

Reaction score
I'm on the 38th floor downtown Chicago. I look south to a vast expanse of highway, low buildings (less than 30 stories) and open space. I'm thinking, could it be possible to fly my P2V out from my window? I'd have someone put it on the ground and start the props and just pull the throttle till it comes up to my window. Then I'd send it out over this large expanse of open area. My field of view from up here is so wide. Then I'd bring it back and let it descend to the street to be recovered. Of course my aide would be in phone contact with me and would direct me. My question would be, how much does the glass window weaken or block my signal? It would make a great video. :eek:

Crazy and dangerous

To much glass and concrete. You risk a flyaway and possibly injury to people or damage. And I suspect its illegal.

Flying in city ares I believe is quite dangerous. Lots of metal and concrete to block your signal as mentioned. Also a lot of buildings will have a whole range of various transmitters on top to interfere with your signAl. Any major city wil already have a wide range of aerial footage available on the web anyway.

I wouldn't do it,

#1 when the assistant enters the building and the craft loses the control signal it will go into go home mode.
And land.

Here is my advice. Don't ask for permission from here. Don't post your intentions. Don't complain about the outcome. But if it works out, share the video and don't fret the inevitable *** chewing you will receive. These drones will not be unregulated forever. Every ******* that does stupid is one step closer to all of us losing the privilege. BTW. I am not innocent.

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
Have you not seen this video?
DJI Phantom ( Drone as they call it ) crashes in …: http://youtu.be/_U8iHn_2l0U

What happened to that clown will surely happen to you.
Great veiwing for all the rest of us though :)

Where's the rest of the video? I didn't see it crash to the ground, just into buildings. Made me laugh, but I'd like to know/see the rest.

Thats the longest version of this video ive come across. Yeah its hilarious. I hope iy was this clowns first flight too. It hit the sidewalk with a bang missing a guy in a suit by a few feet who was on his way home from work who then either went to the press or the cops. Must google a bit more to see if this "pilot :) :) :) " got busted

Yea, I know you're right. I do want to take it to the Grand Canyon. Find a secluded area and let it fly down into the canyon. What great videos that will be. I wonder when my Birdie goes over the edge and then down, what will the altimeter say?

I'm all about being an outlaw and walking the grey line with the FAA. But be aware the Grand Canyon is specifically a no fly zone.

Might want to research it before you let it fly.

I guess I never realized how many knocks against something these things could take and still fly... I thought the first hit on the wall would take it down... or the 2nd, 3rd, 4th... yet it still flew...

As for stupid stuff... I am not guilty. I am too old and too cautious with my Phantom around people. I have been pretty risky when nobody is around, and I originally had planned on filming some events over a local stadium- I have since begged off of that as I do not want to take on the responsibility until I am insured. To justify that, I'd need to charge... and I am trying very hard to do free filming for worthy causes.

Ironically I am using it for some biker events... but those are my people and I have very little to worry there as in those circles we do not call authorities when there is an issue- we work it out amongst ourselves.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj