How common is a flyaway?

The craft almost always auto switches to ATTI when it detects trouble. I suppose this is why DJI removed the manual ATTI switch on the Mavic.

That's interesting, no ATTI swith on the Mavic? I wonder how newbies are suppose to practice ATTI mode? Or can ATTI be enabled in the app instead of the switch?

ATTI cannot be manually enabled on the Mavic.

No Atti on mavic! Thats sorta proves who dji are targetting for mass sales....Now to get back to flyaways. Hope it never happens to me but after viewing many posts I have determined that pilot error is the main cause and I can see why this would happen. Reading these posts opens my eyes to real situation that we can all get into, all you guy's sharing your experiences help me be a better pilot. msinger.. your analisis of flight logs often proves that pilot error is the major factor, I like your systematic approche to finding out the real cause and hope that no time soon I will need your services to find my craft.

Reactions: JWH and KingDad1985
No Atti on mavic! Thats sorta proves who dji are targetting for mass sales....Now to get back to flyaways. Hope it never happens to me but after viewing many posts I have determined that pilot error is the main cause and I can see why this would happen. Reading these posts opens my eyes to real situation that we can all get into, all you guy's sharing your experiences help me be a better pilot. msinger.. your analisis of flight logs often proves that pilot error is the major factor, I like your systematic approche to finding out the real cause and hope that no time soon I will need your services to find my craft.
True Story

No Atti on mavic! Thats sorta proves.

No ATTI mode is more a function of the aircraft. I have flown about 300 miles on my Phantom 3 Pro in the past 12 months. In all the flights I have manually switched twice because of interference which caused a brief compass error. I have noticed when flying near that area that the Phantom switched on its own a couple of times. I really am curious as to the effect swapping from GPS to ATTI has on the flight of the aircraft. Does it really "save the aircraft" or are we just believing in something that won't have a significant effect in a true crisis. I noticed once that the bird switched off GPS on its own in a place where I usually have good satellite coverage. I flew it back and hardly noticed anything even though the GPS was off for about 2 minutes.. if it had been windy I would have been a little different. To be honest I think the ATTI mode is overrated. Yes learn to fly in that mode but truly once you understand how the bird performs it really is NBD.

To the flyaway... I have read of one true flyaway on a phantom 4. In my opinion a flyaway is a flight where the operator can't control the bird. In that case, switching to ATTI mode would have no effect.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I think new operators get confused when GPS is lost. The bird goes with the wind and they believe it is flying on its own.. when in truth applying the appropriate stick input to correct for the wind would bring the bird back. I even read a post where the operator provided input after GPS was lost and accelerated the AC into the trees. It was clearly the result of not recognizing the orientation of the AC. So my advice would be practice flying something that doesn't have GPS. Then when you get something like the Mavic that has redundant sensors you can fly with confidence. I have not had a single problem flying my Phantom. I have only been flying for about 18 months so I'm a NEWB too. You are going to love it!

No ATTI mode is more a function of the aircraft. I have flown about 300 miles on my Phantom 3 Pro in the past 12 months. In all the flights I have manually switched twice because of interference which caused a brief compass error. I have noticed when flying near that area that the Phantom switched on its own a couple of times. I really am curious as to the effect swapping from GPS to ATTI has on the flight of the aircraft. Does it really "save the aircraft" or are we just believing in something that won't have a significant effect in a true crisis. I noticed once that the bird switched off GPS on its own in a place where I usually have good satellite coverage. I flew it back and hardly noticed anything even though the GPS was off for about 2 minutes.. if it had been windy I would have been a little different. To be honest I think the ATTI mode is overrated. Yes learn to fly in that mode but truly once you understand how the bird performs it really is NBD.

To the flyaway... I have read of one true flyaway on a phantom 4. In my opinion a flyaway is a flight where the operator can't control the bird. In that case, switching to ATTI mode would have no effect.

Sometimes to get a smoother video I slow drift (no wind) around corners and acheive smoother deceleration without having to controle sticks as precisely, this has value for me. I also like to be able to check out the wind direction by lifting to about 50 feet switching to atti and see the direction and speed the wind will carry my bird, I do this before every flight, this info will determine how far and were I fly and make my turn around time and distance easier to calculate to ensure I land with reasonable battery reserve. In windy situation I use s mode because the gps position control on the P4 is awsome. Also in hight wind situations when shooting and flying sideways and the craft is tilted to the max and the wind is blowing the gimbal side ways I can somtimes recover a tilted horizon by switching to atti for that better shot as the craft will flatten it's attitude. Works for me!

Reactions: aermale
I have close to 20 million feet logged in the app starting with an inspire and p3. In all that time only the p3 had two fly aways. One right in front of 15 feet off the ground. Compass error followed by complete haywire and crash. Dji replaced. This time sitting in the comfort inside my home 8500 feet away over the country side same exact thing in a place I fly all the time. Compass error the craft started spinning so fast the screen was a blur. About 375 feel altitude and loss of connection within seconds. I drove to the location and a whiteness said it just flew off. Two times in a row don't seem plausible but it did happen. My third craft never had a problem. And with the phantom 4 I don't even worry about it.

Just had my first fly away. P3S 300mtr away, clear line of site. Just hovering on the spot. Unable to reconnect, checked wifi still connected to phantom xxx, closed and restarted dji go, still nothing, no control at all. Then p3 decides to land, (probably critical power by this time) then starts drifting with wind. Lost sight of p3 so went close as possible by car, bad terrain but could see where it was on map, so headed in that direction. Loads of small lakes so figured it was lost. Finally it reconnected and followed map to new location, p3 safely landed on a bramble bush, such relief [emoji3] don't really understand why the complete disconnect at reasonably close range though. I'm feeling Very lucky but my trust in p3 has taken a massive hit.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Just had my first fly away. P3S 300mtr away, clear line of site. Just hovering on the spot. Unable to reconnect, checked wifi still connected to phantom xxx, closed and restarted dji go, still nothing, no control at all. Then p3 decides to land, (probably critical power by this time) then starts drifting with wind. Lost sight of p3 so went close as possible by car, bad terrain but could see where it was on map, so headed in that direction. Loads of small lakes so figured it was lost. Finally it reconnected and followed map to new location, p3 safely landed on a bramble bush, such relief [emoji3] don't really understand why the complete disconnect at reasonably close range though. I'm feeling Very lucky but my trust in p3 has taken a massive hit.

Did you press and hold the RTH button while it showed it was connected?

No, the problem was everything was fine then it suddenly came up disconnected, toggled s2 for rth but nothing, it just hovered on the spot at about 60 metres height about 300 metres away for about 5 - 6 minutes when I suspect that the emergency landing sequence started and it started drifting off. Panic then followed as I still had no control or video feed and was worried it may come down on someone so leapt in the car to try and find out where it was coming down

Okay, NOT a Fly Away, just user error on my part. Checked the flight logs ( finally worked out how to do that), what I seem to have been mistaking was the aircraft disconnected message. I suspect that just means from the dji go app, and not the remote. My attempt to Rth with s2 didn't work, I think I got s2 and s1 confused. Though it didn't seem to be responding visually it was in fact, and I was making things worse when I switched to Atti mode as I couldn't see the orientation I was increasing the distance. In hindsight (always easier to see later isn't it) I should've used f- gps set the home lock and pulled towards me while also lowering height slowly to about 30 metres. Sorry dji, my bad. I've spent the last day practicing at recovering from disconnection and feel much happier with my ability to get it right now :)

Okay, NOT a Fly Away, just user error on my part. Checked the flight logs ( finally worked out how to do that), what I seem to have been mistaking was the aircraft disconnected message. I suspect that just means from the dji go app, and not the remote. My attempt to Rth with s2 didn't work, I think I got s2 and s1 confused. Though it didn't seem to be responding visually it was in fact, and I was making things worse when I switched to Atti mode as I couldn't see the orientation I was increasing the distance. In hindsight (always easier to see later isn't it) I should've used f- gps set the home lock and pulled towards me while also lowering height slowly to about 30 metres. Sorry dji, my bad. I've spent the last day practicing at recovering from disconnection and feel much happier with my ability to get it right now :)

The biggest clue is the transmitter. If the light is green you can control it. The disconnect msg in the application is related to the video signal. Look at the light on the transmitter when it turns red the control signal to the bird is lost. As long as it is green you are GTG.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: mike357
Thanks m0j0, that's very useful to know. Thank goodness for PhantomPilots where us relatively new users can learn what we need to become safer and get the most from our new hobby [emoji106]

The biggest clue is the transmitter. If the light is green you can control it. The disconnect msg in the application is related to the video signal. Look at the light on the transmitter when it turns red the control signal to the bird is lost. As long as it is green you are GTG.

So, are you saying: if you loose orientation, or think you have a fly away, and have list video, and you still have the green light on the transmitter, you should press RTH button on the transmitter?

So, are you saying: if you loose orientation, or think you have a fly away, and have list video, and you still have the green light on the transmitter, you should press RTH button on the transmitter?

No. My philosophy is if you can see it and it is functioning you should fly it back yourself. If you can see it you should be able to bring it back. If you can't. Practice. Practice practice. If I see the dot of my bird in the sky I can bring mine back . It took me about 2 minutes to learn the skill..

I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say.. "you think you have a fly-away." Most of the time inexperienced operators think they are having a fly-away... they aren't. Most of the time what really is happening is their AC is in ATTI mode. Which means their AC doesn't have a gps lock. It will drift with the wind. My experience in these situations remain the same, if you can see it you should bring it back.

If you have no idea where it is... and you have a green light indicating the TX is connected to the bird ... yep hit RTH and try to locate it. As soon as you locate it, cancel RTH and fly it yourself.

Here is the video.. after watching it you will be able to bring your bird back as long as you can see it.

Thanks m0j0, that's very useful to know. Thank goodness for PhantomPilots where us relatively new users can learn what we need to become safer and get the most from our new hobby [emoji106]

No worries ... and just to add... if the TX signal turns red indicating the TX signal is lost the bird is going to follow the RTH parameters you set in the app. I think it takes 3 seconds of continuous lost signal for the bird to execute RTH.

I agree. I bought a couple mini toy quads to practice on but they arent even close to what a Phantom is

They might not be technical but they do offer a cheap way of building up muscle memory without having to worry about crashing an expensive aircraft.
I bought a Syma X13 and flew that around my living room before I bought the phantom. Yesterday I had the phantom out for its second flight, only to discharge the battery as the forecast for the next week is poo. It was windy as hell and I flew the drone about in amongst the trees. Something I wouldn't have contemplated had it not been for the hours of furniture dodging with the Syma.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj