How common is a flyaway?

Reaction score
I'm curious how common is a flyaway on a P4? Im asking so I don't make a mistake to cause it. Or is it sometimes just unavoidable?

A flyaway -- AKA the pilot doesn't understand what happened? The less the pilot understands the aircraft, the less avoidable it becomes. Phantom 4s rarely fly away.

Opinions vary but to me a fly-away is a failure of the aircraft to respond to control inputs properly or at all.
This can be as msinger suggests a result of operator confusion or equipment failure.

This has been occurring since I began playing with r/c aircraft in the 70's.

The big difference today is the cost of the aircraft (specifically a Phantom) and the fact that while one system may fail others may continue to operate.
With aircraft that don't have on-board flight stabilization this usually results in a crash fairly soon as wind and gravity dictates. With a multi-rotor the aircraft may remain 'flight stable' during the loss of control and seemingly flies away only to crash (or land) at some later time.

Flyaways are not that common. Good calibrations, access to satellites for good GPS locks and practice on Non GPS mode will help you minimize flyaways.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I've experienced flyaways with normal RC helis and planes, but they have a lot of other mechanical devices like linkage, hinges, and servos that can bind or strip gears so who knows. Disturbing as some that are not recovered make it so the owner may never know what happened. AMA fields have lots of stories and theories as to why "It just took off and kept going." Haven't had the P4 get away from me....yet....but I wouldn't rule it out either.

Now say I'm flying in P mode and the p4 starts flying away, can I quickly switch to atti mode and regain control?

It depends. Why exactly is the P4 starting to fly away?

It depends. Why exactly is the P4 starting to fly away?
Right. So many different variables. I had dreamt last night that my P4 flew away, which got me thinking I want to learn as much as I can and try to avoid it the best I can

Yep. There are just too many possible scenarios.

Start by reading and fully understanding the Phantom manual. Next, thoroughly explore, inspect, and understand all of the settings in DJI GO. If you're able to achieve those things, then you'll be way ahead of most pilots.

The term barely applies to the P4, with Phantom One and Two there were a range of things could go wrong with marginal GPS (no Glonass so you could easily get below the minimum six satellites and go into ATTI mode) and owners with minimal ability to bring it back in manually..
Another problem is getting in higher wind speeds above tree top height which it is unable to fight against - again less likely with more powerful P4

Very rarely some kind of total control failure *might* still result in it gently drifting away or racing off to a false homepoint.

I'm sure we're all aware how easily you can get somewhat disorientated when you can't be sure which way it is pointing and it is rapidly getting out of sight.
I still find that clouds moving behind can make you feel it is moving off on it's own when in fact it's stationary which the on-screen info now clearly shows you.
If you mis-understand what it's doing your inputs just make things worse.

Reactions: JWH
Yep. There are just too many possible scenarios.

Start by reading and fully understanding the Phantom manual. Next, thoroughly explore, inspect, and understand all of the settings in DJI GO. If you're able to achieve those things, then you'll be way ahead of most pilots.
I totally agree

Fly away with non responding aircraft (disconnected) is a big problem. If craft still connected please switch immediatly to Atti mode to take control manually -> learn to fly in Atti mode as this can save your craft

GPS incorrect position readings and sudden flay away to reach new position -> make sure enough satellites available at launch and craft position on the map is correct. If not abort launch.

Changing environnements such as from cave to open air are big changes (ie temp, pressure, GPS transition) so safer keeping Atti mode during transition and better whole flight (when special condition).

If craft still connected please switch immediatly to Atti mode to take control manually -> learn to fly in Atti mode as this can save your craft
I think this is often overplayed. There aren't many situations (if any) where manually switching to ATTI will save your craft. The craft almost always auto switches to ATTI when it detects trouble. I suppose this is why DJI removed the manual ATTI switch on the Mavic.

I think this is often overplayed. There aren't many situations (if any) where manually switching to ATTI will save your craft. The craft almost always auto switches to ATTI when it detects trouble. I suppose this is why DJI removed the manual ATTI switch on the Mavic.
Msinger I assume your relatively safe and seem to know an awful lot, have you ever had a flyaway? Or crash?

I've had a few prop strikes, but nothing major. No flyaways.

Reactions: deltalimatango
I agree Atti does automatically switch on most of the time so good comment by msinger. On my views pilot should be trained to fly in Atti mode if required so good habit anyway to switch between modes if craft allows this. Sure in context of fly away the craft might not respond as needed though.

I agree Atti does automatically switch on most of the time so good comment by msinger. On my views pilot should be trained to fly in Atti mode if required so good habit anyway to switch between modes if craft allows this. Sure in context of fly away the craft might not respond as needed though.

I hope I never witness a fly away. It's pretty much my biggest fear while flying. One good thing is I'm OCD when it comes to setup and flying so hopefully that reduces my risk.

You've been fly quads for how long?
I bought my first Phantom (the P2V+) two years ago. Prior to that, I only ever flew inexpensive toy quadcopters. Those don't really count since they aren't very technical ;)

I bought my first Phantom (the P2V+) two years ago. Prior to that, I only ever flew inexpensive toy quadcopters. Those don't really count since they aren't very technical ;)
I agree. I bought a couple mini toy quads to practice on but they arent even close to what a Phantom is

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers