!?! How come no one else is talking about this 3:2 Vignetting Problem on the P4P?

Reaction score
This needs to be put to light!

Check out this full thread^^^ Click the Link

Summary: The picture on the left is the Full image, while the other other one on the right is processed in adobe's PS, but it also does it too in LR, , and it calls it "1:1". LR automatically crops/lens corrects these 3:2 photos by the p4p, so most of you won't see this unless you open the file via Raw Image Viewer or Photodirector.
120318hwryttu7amhafpay.jpg

I've heard this before but I haven't taken any stills to test with. Vignetting is no doubt at it's worst when shooting stills at 3:2 and not so bad at 16:9 just as video would not be so bad a 16:9. Vignetting is not uncommon, even with good lenses, though you prefer not to have it. PS and Lightroom can pretty much compensate for it if they have the lens profile and that should be soon if not already.

That's perhaps one reason to shoot stills in 16:9 or to crop to 16:9 or use PS etc to compensate for it. You can also stop down (higher f/#) the aperture a bit and that will tend to reduce the problem.

Brian

Reactions: tml4191
I've heard this before but I haven't taken any stills to test with. Vignetting is no doubt at it's worst when shooting stills at 3:2 and not so bad at 16:9 just as video would not be so bad a 16:9. Vignetting is not uncommon, even with good lenses, though you prefer not to have it. PS and Lightroom can pretty much compensate for it if they have the lens profile and that should be soon if not already.

That's perhaps one reason to shoot stills in 16:9 or to crop to 16:9 or use PS etc to compensate for it. You can also stop down (higher f/#) the aperture a bit and that will tend to reduce the problem.

Brian
Thanks^

Just curious why your pic is showing 3 taskbars. What happens if you shoot in jpg format? Does it still vignette?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Just curious why your pic is showing 3 taskbars. What happens if you shoot in jpg format? Does it still vignette?

Haven't shot it in jpeg+raw for a while now, and I don't have any of those files right now. Since the picture was too big for the forum, and since I had to do something, I quickly made screenshot of a screenshot. It was just easier.

I am experimenting with the same thing on my typhoon h 4K, I really only use my P4 to pic up chicks. I have 2 and a ton of battery's for them. I hit the sledding hills and look for the hot moms and ask if they want free drone videos of their kids sledding, just need an email to send the uploaded link of the video too. [emoji6]

I would also be interested if it's an adobe codec issue, have you tried it in another viewer? Sorry if you already said you did, smoking a turkey for the big day and had a couple beers.

I would also be interested if it's an adobe codec issue, have you tried it in another viewer? Sorry if you already said you did, smoking a turkey for the big day and had a couple beers.

Multiple users from different forums have posted the same results. This was tested on a mac and windows through various programs. If you have the quadcopter that casey nesitat flew with in his Santa suit, then you can literally pick up chicks. Plus, the phantom and the typhoon can pick up these kinds of chicks from google image:

IMG_0483.PNG

Last edited:
Multiple users from different forums have posted the same results. This was tested on a mac and windows through various programs. If you have the quadcopter that casey nesitat flew with in his Santa suit, then you can literally pick up chicks. Plus, the phantom and the typhoon can pick up these kinds of chicks from google image:

View attachment 71373

I think you mean.

745f31a4f894c4808f8d86bc17822bae.jpg

We need to shoot in jpg and determine if it's a lens issue or a format issue or a codec issue.

Most of all, check the image dimensions (pixels) in 3:2 mode both as DNG and JPG. If they are BOTH the same and represent the maximum resolution of the 1" sensor (which is a 3:2 sensor) and JPG does not show vignetting while DNG does, then DJI already corrected for vignetting in the bird while processing the image for JPG. If the JPG image is cropped to avoid vignetting, then DJI is misrepresenting the 3:2 image resolution in their specifications.

In any case, DNG is "what-you-see-is-what-you-get" since it is effectively representing the raw pixel data from the sensor with 14 or 16 bits luminescence. The amount of vignetting shown in tml4191's DNG example is horrendous! Almost if there was a sun-shade on the lens that does not fit the FOV.

Most of all, check the image dimensions (pixels) in 3:2 mode both as DNG and JPG. If they are BOTH the same and represent the maximum resolution of the 1" sensor (which is a 3:2 sensor) and JPG does not show vignetting while DNG does, then DJI already corrected for vignetting in the bird while processing the image for JPG. If the JPG image is cropped to avoid vignetting, then DJI is misrepresenting the 3:2 image resolution in their specifications.

In any case, DNG is "what-you-see-is-what-you-get" since it is effectively representing the raw pixel data from the sensor with 14 or 16 bits luminescence. The amount of vignetting shown in tml4191's DNG example is horrendous! Almost if there was a sun-shade on the lens that does not fit the FOV.
I'm not getting any legit response from DJI on this matter. I'm merely questioning if my unit is defective or if this is an apparent problem on all the p4ps. I'm leaning towards the latter since DJI is basically dodging my questions on their forum, but it's Christmas season, so they just might be busy, right?

Tml4191, is the filter on the gimble lens all the way on? What happens if you remove it?

Tml4191, is the filter on the gimble lens all the way on? What happens if you remove it?

My first shots I took were at night, and the 3:2 shots had vignetting right from the get go. The filter is on 100%, and I don't think it'll make a difference if I remove it since it's just a clear filter that covers more than it needs.
image1.JPG image3.JPG

My jpg files are all 5472 x 3648 which is exactly as per the specs: 3:2 Aspect Ratio: 5472 × 3648
My first shots I took were at night, and the 3:2 shots had vignetting right from the get go.
Shoot some jpg images and compare.

Hi guys. My first post here!

Curiously, 2 years ago or so I have discovered the same type of problems with a Samsung NX Mini camera with standard 9mm lens (equally a 1 inch sensor size camera, with the same resolution of 5472x3648 pixels and a Focal Length equiv. to a 24mm!).
I have discovered then that, when opening the RAW files with Adobe Lightroom (LR5, at the time), the images looked great (very sharp, good dynamic range, noise free). But when developing the RAW files without using softwares that use Adobe Camera Raw Converter (used then the Raw Therapee too) the resulting images presented more field of view (when compared to the LR developed image or a straight from the camera JPEG), some image deformation was present (slightly "fisheye" effect) and some vignette in the corners was visible too!
Apparently these small sensor cameras have a lot of firmware processing (when shooting JPEG) to correct aberrations and have some type of partnership with Adobe to do that in post prod using LR and PS! At least Samsung at the time offered with the cameras a free version of Adobe Lightroom 5, a thing that DJI should do too!

In the following images some examples of vignette and wide angle distortion when opening the same RAW files from my P4P+ with Affinity Photo, Rawtherapee and Lightroom CS6 (all with "default" settings only, images resized after for better loading here):
Vign_2AP.jpg

RAW processed with Affinity Photo

Vign_2RT.jpg

RAW processed with RAW Therapee

Vign_2LR6.jpg

RAW processed with Adobe Lightroom CS6 (curvature and vignette corrected, but with an heavy cropped area and marginal interpolation of pixels!).

Cheers

Luís Bravo Pereira

I'm still using photodirector, and I've had to crop out the picture a significant amount since there's no lens correction for it. LR seems the way to go though.

Reactions: LuisBravoPereira
The most important here is to understand that there's nothing wrong or defective with P4P camera's: the crop and firmware correction of optical aberrations it's a camera's makers frequently used strategy, at least in compact cameras with small sized sensor and with very short focal length lenses, with a narrow back flange distance too. May we like it or not, but it is what it is... the thing I don't like about this hidden camera's makers "trick" is that, in order to keep the original image size's pixel count (obviously for marketing reasons), they are interpolating a lot at the peripheral region of the images.
In practical terms, I will use LR6 for general aerial imaging and for mapping and photogrametry all that type of images (coming from LR6, RT or AP) are fine and are usable.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic