How can I safely crack from CE to FCC ?

DJI would be breaking local laws if it allowed its products to changed so they don't comply to local laws as you appear to be asking for.

Not entirely correct, previous DJI models (I believe the Phantom 2 Vision) had a CE/FCC switch in the back, and users were responsible for setting it correctly.

Do you understand what impact such actions may have on others due to illegal transmissions?

Let's not be so dramatic... we're not talking about transmitting at high power on reserved frequencies. Increasing the power output from CE to FCC levels on a P3S is not dissimilar to - for example - putting bigger antennas on your WiFi router so it reaches the other side of your house. Yes, your signal will travel farther... but in the case of a drone, which is typically operated in open spaces, the "impact on others" is near zero.

Not really clear but trying to understand.
Does that mean that if I were to take my CE labeled RC to the US it would instantly become FCC all by itself?
If so why bother labeling it at all?
BTW Mine is P3P so would it be the same setup?
the Labeling has to conform to the countries standards of operation that's why they are labeled CE and FCC

Let's not be so dramatic... we're not talking about transmitting at high power ...

Point taken, I wished to convey that these standards are there for a reason & that there is a cause and effect of changing them, not always just for the person considering overriding them.

Reactions: 120CCPM
Hi Guys,

I live in Australia and I recently bought the P3S. Can someone please advise how to safely hack the RC/AC so that it works on FCC mode rather than CE mode thus increasing the wifi signal strength and increasing the range ?

I tried this with the Icarus app and followed the instructions but the app was stuck saying "20% complete" and I bricked my drone resulting in the RC no longer showing the wifi network on my mobile. Luckily the they replaced the entire unit for me and now I have a new unit.

I need to know what the steps are to safely do this to increase range and video quality perhaps with magic power. I am nervous to do it again since i've been burnt once. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
LG
I live in the Netherlands own a p3s and added magic power on 27 dbm and placed a dbs itelite antenna. maximun distance with control and videofeed 3250 mtr.

Hi Guys,

I live in Australia and I recently bought the P3S. Can someone please advise how to safely hack the RC/AC so that it works on FCC mode rather than CE mode thus increasing the wifi signal strength and increasing the range ?

I tried this with the Icarus app and followed the instructions but the app was stuck saying "20% complete" and I bricked my drone resulting in the RC no longer showing the wifi network on my mobile. Luckily the they replaced the entire unit for me and now I have a new unit.

I need to know what the steps are to safely do this to increase range and video quality perhaps with magic power. I am nervous to do it again since i've been burnt once. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
LG
There is something I've read.
Going into setting and tapping ten times on country and it allows you to change it.

But had to be a previous version of android and previous version of goapp I believe

Well I followed the exact instructions and also watched a video on youtube on the icarus update. The update went to 20% and stayed there for over 15 mins. It was like it's stuck. I had ticked the telnet ticks on icarus too before I did the update. Since it was not completing I restarted the AC and the RC and there on the RC didn't show the wifi network on the phone. which meaning some **** happened that messed the code in the RC. I got the drone replaced to a brand new one and I feel uncomfortable trying anything of this sort again. :(
Well I followed the exact instructions and also watched a video on youtube on the icarus update. The update went to 20% and stayed there for over 15 mins. It was like it's stuck. I had ticked the telnet ticks on icarus too before I did the update. Since it was not completing I restarted the AC and the RC and there on the RC didn't show the wifi network on the phone. which meaning some **** happened that messed the code in the RC. I got the drone replaced to a brand new one and I feel uncomfortable trying anything of this sort again. :(
Rather trying to hack the drone software, being uncomfortable with the drone even after a seemingly successful hack, and always having the fear of a bricked drone after a software upgrade that you might do in the future when the warrenty has run out, why not fix the issue with why you want to do this in the first place? Unless you're a Comercial pilot, we fly because it is fun. Is it such a big deal to live with a few meters less range as compared to the fear of a bricked drone hanging over you every time you fly? Personally, when DJI releases a software update, or ANY computer system update is released, I never rush to install it, and I always weigh the improvements the update provides with my "fun factor". When this last update came out that placed all the flight restrictions on the drone, I saw no advantages of it other than adding a tripod mode. I am very glad I never upgraded. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Lahiru, I'm like you. I'm in Toowoomba and on the outskirts of the town I only got about 160m range on my P3S with lots of interference. I constructed a parabolic reflector (from an old Pepsi can) from a plan I came across and increased the range to about 180m.

I then got an Argtek (copy) and got my range to about 220m.

Not satisfied, I tried to mod the software to force the location to the USA using FileZilla but was unable to access the root directory- so that was a fail.

Then tried Papatito's Magic Power and after some manipulations I seemed to get the phantom software updated. It must have worked because I can now get to about 300m.

It's more than I need because at 300m I can no longer see the Phantom and that makes for illegal flying as here in Aus, we are restricted to flying line of sight and not FPV.

Hope this helps.

Now I might try to build a parabolic reflector for the Argtek dipole antenna :)

Lahiru, I'm like you. I'm in Toowoomba and on the outskirts of the town I only got about 160m range on my P3S with lots of interference. I constructed a parabolic reflector (from an old Pepsi can) from a plan I came across and increased the range to about 180m.

I then got an Argtek (copy) and got my range to about 220m.

Not satisfied, I tried to mod the software to force the location to the USA using FileZilla but was unable to access the root directory- so that was a fail.

Then tried Papatito's Magic Power and after some manipulations I seemed to get the phantom software updated. It must have worked because I can now get to about 300m.

It's more than I need because at 300m I can no longer see the Phantom and that makes for illegal flying as here in Aus, we are restricted to flying line of sight and not FPV.

Hope this helps.
Now I might try to build a parabolic reflector for the Argtek dipole antenna :)

If you get 300m after all this trouble, I'm afraid but you might have a defective unit, as a stock P3S should make it to 500m in CE mode, in ideal conditions.

Thanks for all the replies guys.
I wss just thinking the same about computers ets just didn't realise the AC could do that.
From what I've read there isn't much difference anyway.

Your P3S, for all intents is a computer...........your RC is a router.........you have more computing power in there than they had on the first moon landing.........:) What is commonly called firmware is in fact the drones operating system.

and all 3 components that make up your package (the bird, the controller and your device (android or ios) all use a version of the Unix operating system. Microshite devices are not catered for in this instance and nor should they ever be.

:) :)

Catering for MS devices ..... about as bad as catering for iOS **** as well ...

None of the recognised OS are 100% stable or best ... its a fallacy to even claim any are.

For some reason DJI seem intent on putting effort into iPad ... a move despite there are a substantial number of users who refuse to go ios ...

And despite so-called statistics - which can be written to satisfy any requirement ... there are a substantial number of MS Tablet users out there ... you only have to look on dealer sites such as Banggood etc. to see how many MS based devices are available. They would not be carrying them if they didn't sell.

Anyway back to CE vs FCC ....

I find it hard to understand why ICARUS failed to install ...

I used both ICARUS and MAGIC POWER ... Icarus I found the easiest and most intuitive to use .... plus being on the tablet - was available at any time I needed ... unlike MP which requires using a PC.

Nigel

I live in Australia and use Magic Power 5.0 with my P3S cranked up to the highest (27dbm) setting.

No issues.

They best is on android 6 if you use android and you'll get fewer glitches and better range with litchi.
It lets you go into settings, country tap 11 times on it and it lets you change it to US, range extenders help too

Last edited:
Use android 6 not 7 going into goapp settings chilli into countries tap ten times on country and you should be able to change it
Andoid 6 is much more stable flying with litchi no annoying restrictions from dji no camera delays, lomger range, in my experience

If I brought mine in FCC to where you are at it would be in CE .
Unless I am bad mistaken it is determined by GPS location .

I found this interesting issue in the manual of the Phantom Vision 2Plus. Should the trimhole on the back of the P3PE controller have the same function ???

2017-11-04_225820.jpg

I found this interesting issue in the manual of the Phantom Vision 2Plus. Should the trimhole on the back of the P3PE controller have the same function ???

View attachment 90394
If I'm not mistaken that hole is still in the P3 controllers but there is no screw like back then in the bottom . It used to be though .

If I'm not mistaken that hole is still in the P3 controllers but there is no screw like back then in the bottom . It used to be though .

Correct. Final conclusion: not in the hardware but in the software.

Use android 6 not 7 going into goapp settings chilli into countries tap ten times on country and you should be able to change it
Andoid 6 is much more stable flying with litchi no annoying restrictions from dji no camera delays, lomger range, in my experience
It works on 7 too

But I don't use an android - I have an iphone7. Any ideas? With all that I've done I still only get about 120m on the outskirts of town - still lots of "interference" as reported on the DJI GO app!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor