How can I safely crack from CE to FCC ?

OK - let's get this clear .....

In the FW code - there is a line that takes GPS signal and sets the location for CE or FCC ...

Basically Magic Power and Icarus override that line and force the AC / RC to have FCC or whatever intermediate power level you decide.

I prefer Icarus and is what I used .... I was not too happy with Magic Power as I wanted a system I could alter without need for a Computer.

This is first time I hear of Icarus bricking a system ... so I suspect something else went wrong ...

Nigel

Reactions: Solly747400
OK - let's get this clear .....

In the FW code - there is a line that takes GPS signal and sets the location for CE or FCC ...

Basically Magic Power and Icarus override that line and force the AC / RC to have FCC or whatever intermediate power level you decide.

I prefer Icarus and is what I used .... I was not too happy with Magic Power as I wanted a system I could alter without need for a Computer.

This is first time I hear of Icarus bricking a system ... so I suspect something else went wrong ...

Nigel

Well I followed the exact instructions and also watched a video on youtube on the icarus update. The update went to 20% and stayed there for over 15 mins. It was like it's stuck. I had ticked the telnet ticks on icarus too before I did the update. Since it was not completing I restarted the AC and the RC and there on the RC didn't show the wifi network on the phone. which meaning some **** happened that messed the code in the RC. I got the drone replaced to a brand new one and I feel uncomfortable trying anything of this sort again. :(

Well I followed the exact instructions and also watched a video on youtube on the icarus update. The update went to 20% and stayed there for over 15 mins. It was like it's stuck. I had ticked the telnet ticks on icarus too before I did the update. Since it was not completing I restarted the AC and the RC and there on the RC didn't show the wifi network on the phone. which meaning some **** happened that messed the code in the RC. I got the drone replaced to a brand new one and I feel uncomfortable trying anything of this sort again. :(

I checked out the reviews on Icarus and it seems you're not alone.
I'm going to try the parabolic range extenders but I'll leave playing with the software to other people.

I would think that the writing on the back would have to state CE if it was sold in those parts of the world that required it and FCC in those parts It makes sense that GPS would be able to determine where the bird was flying and set the controls accordingly

I did look at mine and it did say FCC .But like you say GPS does
make it CE or FCC .
True and it Will do as programed. It is told to act a certain way when it sees ce. It can be programed to only act on FCC even though it sees ce. You are giving the software too much credit for being able to think. It can only do as it is told(programed).

True and it Will do as programed. It is told to act a certain way when it sees ce. It can be programed to only act on FCC even though it sees ce. You are giving the software too much credit for being able to think. It can only do as it is told(programed).
If I understand you are talking about hacking the firmware .
We don't discuss that here . If I mistook your post sorry .

I would think that the writing on the back would have to state CE if it was sold in those parts of the world that required it and FCC in those parts It makes sense that GPS would be able to determine where the bird was flying and set the controls accordingly

I don't understand how GPS can change the output of a device when it's manufactured to a certain standard.

I don't understand how GPS can change the output of a device when it's manufactured to a certain standard.

The P3S is not "manufactured to a certain standard", it's actually designed so that the radio power output can be controlled by the firmware (of course within certain limits imposed by the hardware). Say that the hardware is capable of 30dBm, the firmware can limit that to 15dBm. You cellphone is the same: even if it's capable of a certain power output, if you are close to a tower it will only use a portion of that. Once you understand this, then it's not difficult to envision how the P3S works: it uses the GPS to know where it is, and - accordingly - what's the maximum power output allowed in that region. This way, the same hardware is effectively compliant with both FCC and CE regulations. Clear?

Reactions: smackc4
The P3S is not "manufactured to a certain standard", it's actually designed so that the radio power output can be controlled by the firmware (of course within certain limits imposed by the hardware). Say that the hardware is capable of 30dBm, the firmware can limit that to 15dBm. You cellphone is the same: even if it's capable of a certain power output, if you are close to a tower it will only use a portion of that. Once you understand this, then it's not difficult to envision how the P3S works: it uses the GPS to know where it is, and - accordingly - what's the maximum power output allowed in that region. This way, the same hardware is effectively compliant with both FCC and CE regulations. Clear?

Not really clear but trying to understand.
Does that mean that if I were to take my CE labeled RC to the US it would instantly become FCC all by itself?
If so why bother labeling it at all?
BTW Mine is P3P so would it be the same setup?

You got that right. Its not rocket science here... The GPS tells the drone where it is and when it knows that the location is in the US it sets its standard to FCC and allows full power. Else it will set it to CE and limit power. thats about it. However I wish DJI still had a switch that can be manually toggled from FCC to CE and vise versa so we can take use of full power when we want to without bloody bricking the device trying to modify files (Which happened to me with Icarus)

Does that mean that if I were to take my CE labeled RC to the US it would instantly become FCC all by itself?
The most economic way for DJI is to build just one standard hardware model and then apply software based restrictions to meet each country's regulations. I think it is very clever to use GPS from the phone/sim/internet service to work out where the Spark is flying. It stops people just buying a US model and shipping it to UK. Of course, if the firmware is hacked you can just trick it into thinking it is in the US which has the least restrictions on performance.

The most economic way for DJI is to build just one standard hardware model and then apply software based restrictions to meet each country's regulations. I think it is very clever to use GPS from the phone/sim/internet service to work out where the Spark is flying. It stops people just buying a US model and shipping it to UK. Of course, if the firmware is hacked you can just trick it into thinking it is in the US which has the least restrictions on performance.
One size fits all definitely makes sense economically.
I don't connect to the net so does the GPS in the AC do it instead?

However I wish DJI still had a switch that can be manually toggled from FCC to CE and vise versa so we can take use of full power when we want to without bloody bricking the device trying to modify files (Which happened to me with Icarus)

You do not appear to understand that devices that 'transmit' must comply with local country laws to be used / sold there. That's a good sensible thing. DJI would be breaking local laws if it allowed its products to changed so they don't comply to local laws as you appear to be asking for. Do you understand what impact such actions may have on others due to illegal transmissions?

Reactions: Phill2
One size fits all definitely makes sense economically.
I don't connect to the net so does the GPS in the AC do it instead?

Yes GPS in AC tells the AC where it is, and accordingly the AC firmware adjusts it's operation accordingly, just like a mobile phone when one travels can change date/time to local Timezone without user input..

Yes GPS in AC tells the AC where it is, and accordingly the AC firmware adjusts it's operation accordingly, just like a mobile phone when one travels can change date/time to local Timezone without user input..

Thanks for all the replies guys.
I wss just thinking the same about computers ets just didn't realise the AC could do that.
From what I've read there isn't much difference anyway.

If I understand you are talking about hacking the firmware .
We don't discuss that here . If I mistook your post sorry .
When pregaming is done without authorisation it is hacking. I'm just talking about programing. When software sees something you have to program in the responses. The programmer can program ce full power. It sees ce, but the respons to it would be full power or whatever the programmer wants.

Yes, your P3S will switch to full FCC power if you take it to the US, as much as my P3S switched to CE power when I went to Europe. Labels are there to certify that the device is compliant with both CE and FCC standards. It's really that simple.

Reactions: Loz

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor