How can I safely crack from CE to FCC ?

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I live in Australia and I recently bought the P3S. Can someone please advise how to safely hack the RC/AC so that it works on FCC mode rather than CE mode thus increasing the wifi signal strength and increasing the range ?

I tried this with the Icarus app and followed the instructions but the app was stuck saying "20% complete" and I bricked my drone resulting in the RC no longer showing the wifi network on my mobile. Luckily the they replaced the entire unit for me and now I have a new unit.

I need to know what the steps are to safely do this to increase range and video quality perhaps with magic power. I am nervous to do it again since i've been burnt once. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
LG

Reactions: smackc4
Hi Guys,

I live in Australia and I recently bought the P3S. Can someone please advise how to safely hack the RC/AC so that it works on FCC mode rather than CE mode thus increasing the wifi signal strength and increasing the range ?

I tried this with the Icarus app and followed the instructions but the app was stuck saying "20% complete" and I bricked my drone resulting in the RC no longer showing the wifi network on my mobile. Luckily the they replaced the entire unit for me and now I have a new unit.

I need to know what the steps are to safely do this to increase range and video quality perhaps with magic power. I am nervous to do it again since i've been burnt once. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
LG

I'm in us too.
If you read up there isn't that much difference between the two.
I get 3 k's from my P3P with no mods on CE

I'm in us too.
If you read up there isn't that much difference between the two.
I get 3 k's from my P3P with no mods on CE

That is because you are in US and by default you are therefore in FCC mode. So you actually dont have to do any mods. The drone knows you are in US and activates FCC mode giving you the full wifi strength. We are not so lucky !!!

That is because you are in US and by default you are therefore in FCC mode. So you actually dont have to do any mods. The drone knows you are in US and activates FCC mode giving you the full wifi strength. We are not so lucky !!!

Sorry that was a misprint
I meant to type Aus same as you
The drone won't change modes - it's the way it's made that determines the mode.

Sorry that was a misprint
I meant to type Aus same as you
The drone won't change modes - it's the way it's made that determines the mode.

Well As I understood from many posts and youtube videos is that the GPS signal tells the drone where it is and based on that it changes the mode from FCC to CE or vise versa. Plus you are on a P3P so you are using light bridge as opposed to the P3S wifi. So obviously you would get 3K or over. As mentioned in the manual of the P3S CE means 500m and 1000m on FCC with stock antenna. I upgraded to Argtek and was able to get 1000m still being on CE. However that was at the beach where there is low interference. If I can safely change to FCC im sure I can double that range. But I dont wanna brick it again unless someone can solidly show me how to do it and thats why i'm after assistance.

Reactions: smackc4 and dazzer
AFAIK the location only changes the no fly zones.
CE is the standard used in Aus FCC in other countries.
You could try talking to an electrician or electronics guy but I think the only way to get FCC would be to buy one from someone in the US.
I have 2 , one bought locally and one direct from China.
Even the one from China is CE obviously to conform to our standards.

AFAIK the location only changes the no fly zones.
CE is the standard used in Aus FCC in other countries.
You could try talking to an electrician or electronics guy but I think the only way to get FCC would be to buy one from someone in the US.
I have 2 , one bought locally and one direct from China.
Even the one from China is CE obviously to conform to our standards.

So are you saying that the magic power mod cannot help us here in Aus to change from the annoying CE to the better FCC ?

Guys FCC and CE isn't built in it is determined by your location .

Guys FCC and CE isn't built in it is determined by your location .
Then why are there stickers saying it complies with CE standards?

FCC certification is required for radio frequency devices in the United States. It sets limits on on intentional and unintentional electromagnetic radiation to protect the electromagnetic spectrum.

CE is a compliance scheme imposed by Europe. It also has requirements for the protection of the electromagnetic spectrum, but the requirements include other aspects such as the protection of the consumer and in some cases the environment.

A couple links to explain;

FCC requirements - Telecommunication Certification Body
CE marking - European Conformity Assssment

If I brought mine in FCC to where you are at it would be in CE .
Unless I am bad mistaken it is determined by GPS location .

Also found this on Inspire forum
If you use a iPad or iPhone you can you can skip the restriction and use the legal and complete FCC power of USA changing the region (European country) by EEUU country in general iPad or iPhone settings.

Reactions: GreyDragon
Well you got me there Phill but I have always read here it was determined by your location .
That sticker you spoke of is it on the back bottom of you TX .

Reactions: furthertofly
At any rate @Meta4 can tell us for sure .
Have you looked at this long thread How to Update Tx-Power with Magic Power v5.0
The stickers would be valid either way.
The Phantom and controller is compliant with both standards according to where it is used which is determined by GPS.

The actual difference in range is not as great as might be imagined.
Plenty of users in CE countries report excellent range with no modifications.
The local environment has the biggest impact on flight range.

GPS location is used by the AC/RC to adjust power levels to meet local regulations (FCC vs EU), as @Meta4 just said, allowing the same device to be sold in both markets.
When I say "levels" I mean both the 2.4GHz link (bi-directional communication between the AC and the DJI GO app, through the RC) and the 5.8GHz control signal (one-way, from RC to AC only). Both Magic Power and Icarus are supposed to work only on the 2.4GHz signal, and both allow you to separately set power levels for the AC and RC.
I personally tested Icarus on a recent trip to Europe and it did improve the video link, but it did not affect the control signal (which was much worse than in the US). In other words, it worked as advertised. Magic Power is said to do the same (I never tested it personally), although there are people who swear that using the advanced settings to lock the region to "US" made a big difference on the control signal, too. I asked this question directly to @PapaTita in the Magic Power thread, never got a direct answer from him. Technically, I wouldn't be surprised either way.

Also found this on Inspire forum
If you use a iPad or iPhone you can you can skip the restriction and use the legal and complete FCC power of USA changing the region (European country) by EEUU country in general iPad or iPhone settings.

Same as above, P3S here.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z