Horrible audio feedback from Hero 3+ w/ H3 3D

The defintion of the problem is called a ground loop. It is caused by the difference in potential of the two systems (phantom and gopro) as they each have a power source. The two are operating at different voltages, however the way the phantom is regulating the voltage to the gopro causes current to be pulled from one device to the other to effectively equalize the voltage between the two. When this condition occurs the interfrence is injected into the audio recording of the gopro.

Two ways to solve the issue, bring both power sources to the same exact potential or seperate the two so they dont effect each other. In this case the best solution is to isolate the gopro from the phantom power which it seams someof you have been successful at.

While i understand why DJI used the approach to supply power to the gopro it really is not nessasary and causes more problems than it solves. I make sure all my flight batteries and gopro batteries are fully charged so the likelyhood of the gopro running out of power is slim. Trying to supply power from the phantom for the gopro and resolving the issue would take a better design of regulation and a simple filter circuit added to the phantom power source for the camera.

FlyingHigh said:
They had a better design, it was with the hero port. Which they got rid of.

I have two H3-3D gimbals. The first one (v1) was one one of the few that slipped through before GoPro put the kibosh on the rear Hero port - it's unsubstantiated, but there are claims that GoPro forced DJI to stop using the proprietary rear Hero port plug.

This is unfortunate because my v2 does the whining thing.... majorly irritating, but I guess I'd rather have that than no charging of the GoPro. (I travel a lot and the fewer individual things I have to charge the better).

THE REASON for the change in rear port vs side port??! There are rumors that GoPro is entering the consumer "drone" market... now it makes sense.... also makes sense that someone like Sony would partner with DJI and produce a better NON-FISHEYE camera for aerial video...

Rumor is here:

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/gopro-reportedly-wants-launch-consumer-170200212.html

I changed my USB connector for a GoPro connector, and the problem was cured. Out of interest, the noise was only present when the GoPro battery was low and being charged by the Phantom. I guess the larger current draw was causing the electrical noise. It would also make the gimbal jerk until the GP battery was fully charged.
The connectors can be found on eBay - I got mine here (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Durable-Video ... 566da9f684)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic