Honest opinions please!

Reaction score
anyone sent a warranty drone back? My P4 is having issues after the last update. 2 months old. Never crashed or even scratched, just flys like **** after the update. After several hrs dealing w/ support, they want me to send it back. I'm reading horror story's that they find a way to charge you no matter what. Any truth to that

Kiss your 2 month old drone goodbye if you send it to DJI. They already have one "ready" to send back to you, probably someone else's problem or crashed drone. I would not believe anything DJI support says! They will lie to you and cause many additional phone calls to clear up the problem when simply telling the truth the first time would solve it. I fought with them for the entire month of February trying to get them to simply tell me why my Phantom 4 flipped over and powered into the ground upside down, from 200 feet. They never did explain it!

Good luck!
Jim
WA5TEF

As with any product negative experiences get shared far and wide, no doubt some people have had issues with DJI service. Personally I have been surprised how good they have been to deal with.

Perhaps you don't need to send it to them at all- could you perhaps elaborate on the issue youbare having with the AC?

The internet brought many things, one of which was the ability to vent about problems, which is a good thing overall.

But, sometimes, the numbers of posts from a single event can make this single event appear much more common.

My other hobby is astrophotography, I have seen this many times, the world see chaos, when 3% or seem to be effected.

Now, I am not saying that the issue is not real, but it is difficult to see the overall picture. Who is affected and what percentage is effected? Big question with no definitive data to review.
BQ

Reactions: Meta4
anyone sent a warranty drone back? My P4 is having issues after the last update. 2 months old. Never crashed or even scratched, just flys like **** after the update. After several hrs dealing w/ support, they want me to send it back. I'm reading horror story's that they find a way to charge you no matter what. Any truth to that

DJI may have some fancy drones when they're working properly, but they are an extremely lousy, unethical, immoral and dishonest company.
Their care 24 is a scam, as well. I bought the Phantom 4 Pro and had problems with device compatibility right from the start, even though my device and version was on the list of compatible devices (Galaxy S7 Edge).
The app just wouldn't stay connected. I finally reached a customer service rep (I use that term VERY loosely) and was told my device WASN'T compatible, to go buy a different device. I told him he was out of his freaking gourd, that I'd just spent close to $4k on everything as it was and that my device was advertised as being compatible. I was directed to a website with an "EXTENSIVE" device comparability list, and lo and behold, my device was nowhere to be found.
This resulted in a little heated discussion, and while I was trying to decide what to do during the next 2 or 3 days, my Galaxy S7 Edge suddenly and miraculously appeared on the "complete" list.
They may have put the phone on the list, but the bugs were often and many. I couldn't maintain connectivity, picture was inconsistent, and the app would just crash without warning and frequently.
Again, my complaints went unanswered with any semblance to anything logical, and I was good to uninstall the app and reinstall repeatedly, always with the same outcome.
This is my first DJI drone, but I've been flying drones for over five years and have never had problems with equipment or with a company like this before. Everything was a waiting game.
Well, two months ago, I was in my fenced-in back yard taking the craft up and down to about 10 feet and returning it to land to check some adjustments I had made with the global speed.
Without warning, my hovering Phantom 4 began to accelerate vertically quickly, and I had no control. The Go 4 app crashed, there was no response to the RTH request, and I had lost all GPS tracking (which I later learned from my flight data). My craft flew NNW of my position until I lost sight of it. However, my flight data shows that my very next flight began at 176 ft, in a neighborhood NE of my position that is clearly visible from my back yard, and is no where NEAR where my drone was - or was headed - when I lost sight of it. According to my flight data, that flight lasted a little over two minutes and
NEXT - again according to my flight data, I flew once again, this time starting my flight 1/4 mile away and at an altitude of 397 ft. Amazingly, my highest altitude recorded with my DJI Go 4 app still says 397ft. But if you check the so-called stats on that last flight that obviously my Phantom was doing of its own accord, it says the poor thing reached an altitude of over 9,900 ft.
I know the DJI Care 24 has a clause in it excluding lost drones, but my drone was not lost, I watched it plain as day fly off like it knew what it was doing.
Fast forward two months. No answer. Many complaints via phone calls, chard, and emails, but all I've ever been told is that I'll have to wait. No follow up, no straight answers that were coherent to the issue, and every time I DID get through to a rep on the chat line, it would take forever for them to verify my credentials, and sometimes is have to repeat my entire story as if it was both of ours' first day. Many times the chat would "time out" as if they just fell over dead on their end.
UNTIL June 29th, I FINALLY reached a guy on chat who spent a couple hours trying to help, and showed real empathy towards the situation. I even received an email explaining how he had personally walked my case through to the appropriate parties that needed to be involved to resolve my problem. I was told my replacement drone should be shipped within 5-10 business days.
Last night as the 18th of July, so I thought I'd better do another chat follow up.
Again, I was told that I would have to wait for the investigating team to complete their data report, or some BS. along those lines.
I explained that that wasn't good enough, that I had been waiting for two months and had received nothing but the runaround from them.
This "Tech Rep" then informed me that they didn't replace "Fly-away drones", even WITH the DJI Care 24 insurance package. I kindly explained to him that he was chatting with a former attorney, and that he was mistaken. The drone was not "LOST", the app was defective. I asked him that If what he was trying to feed me was true, why had I just been informed of this, and by him? Why did I have to supply my flight data, my proof of purchase, a copy of my Care 24 receipt, and why did the ONE EMAIL I DID RECEIVE from DJI contained an actual apology for the technical problems I had encountered and promised me a speedy and expedited resolution?
He then changed his story again and says that these type of issues take longer, that I would have to wait for the adviser from the data team in an email that I should receive in a couple of days.
I then asked him which of the stories he had just told me were true, because they contradicted each other. He wouldn't answer me. I informed him that if my automobile insurer offered me a policy, I purchased that said policy, and they were still telling me two months later that I was going to have to keep waiting, we would already be in court.
No reply. I am now discussing my llegar options with a couple of friends and former colleagues, but it's a **** shame it has to come to this.
I believe DJI, or some of those in their employ, are intentionally deceitful, strategically unethical, and morally bankrupt.
I hope you have better luck with them than I and many others have that I've discovered through a little online research, but this is one old fart they're going to regret taking as an easy mark. I hate bullies and I'm going to let them know that some of us little guys can put a substantial dent in their bottom line and their profit margins if they don't begin to treat us with the respect we deserve...

Sincerely,
David H.
DaGateKeeper

Yep

Considering the number of folks having troubles after the update, it seems less than likely that this is a hardware problem. It seems more likely an update that went bad...somehow...and a different update may fix. I would pursue that route before sending it back. If you had a former working firmware to update to first, then try the new one again...that would be a way to try it seems. Perhaps DJI can provide a means to do that in some direct to customer data exchange.

Considering the number of folks having troubles after the update, it seems less than likely that this is a hardware problem. It seems more likely an update that went bad...somehow...and a different update may fix. I would pursue that route before sending it back. If you had a former working firmware to update to first, then try the new one again...that would be a way to try it seems. Perhaps DJI can provide a means to do that in some direct to customer data exchange.
I tried to get them to revert my firmware, one tech tried through assistant 2, but then realized it's not there. I had to screenshot that to prove to him. The other 2 guys just kept having me reload, reboot, recalibrate....nothing worked. I told them the fix is easy. Just let me go back in firmware. They want no parts of that. It's a "security issue"

This thing is unstable in hover, over brakes big time w/ the settings turned all the way down, drops video feed, & sometimes just decides to start flying on its own from a hover in gps mode.

Reactions: lmmavrick
I tried to get them to revert my firmware, one tech tried through assistant 2, but then realized it's not there. I had to screenshot that to prove to him. The other 2 guys just kept having me reload, reboot, recalibrate....nothing worked. I told them the fix is easy. Just let me go back in firmware. They want no parts of that. It's a "security issue"

This thing is unstable in hover, over brakes big time w/ the settings turned all the way down, drops video feed, & sometimes just decides to start flying on its own from a hover in gps mode.

"security issue" seems like a stretch at best. Seems like they should be able to find a way for you to revert and then re-update...with tests in between.

Many vendors offer an exchange approach for bad gear...where they send you the replacement first, then you return. They usually want a CC onfile in-between to cover them. I've done this many times with Amazon and Western Digital for gear that went south.

I sent my P4 in for a stress crack repair in January 2017. It was under warranty. I had it back in roughly 21 days. I received a different physical P4/different s/n. It's flown flawlessly to this point. No charge for anything. I opened a trouble ticket online, waited for a shipping label for 24 hours, then sent it in for service. I had no verbal communication with anyone from DJI nor did I seek it out.

I sent my P4 in for a stress crack repair in January 2017. It was under warranty. I had it back in roughly 21 days. I received a different physical P4/different s/n. It's flown flawlessly to this point. No charge for anything. I opened a trouble ticket online, waited for a shipping label for 24 hours, then sent it in for service. I had no verbal communication with anyone from DJI nor did I seek it out.

Amazon is like this too...all online and mostly automated.

In May 2017 DJI had a special on refurbished P4's so I purchased one, absolutely no regrets. If not for the "R" in the serial number it would appear brand new in every detail. It operates perfectly so I have not done the June update. My understanding is that if DJI replaced your unit it may be with a refurbished one like mine. For what it's worth.

DJI may have some fancy drones when they're working properly, but they are an extremely lousy, unethical, immoral and dishonest company.
Their care 24 is a scam, as well. I bought the Phantom 4 Pro and had problems with device compatibility right from the start, even though my device and version was on the list of compatible devices (Galaxy S7 Edge).
The app just wouldn't stay connected. I finally reached a customer service rep (I use that term VERY loosely) and was told my device WASN'T compatible, to go buy a different device. I told him he was out of his freaking gourd, that I'd just spent close to $4k on everything as it was and that my device was advertised as being compatible. I was directed to a website with an "EXTENSIVE" device comparability list, and lo and behold, my device was nowhere to be found.
This resulted in a little heated discussion, and while I was trying to decide what to do during the next 2 or 3 days, my Galaxy S7 Edge suddenly and miraculously appeared on the "complete" list.
They may have put the phone on the list, but the bugs were often and many. I couldn't maintain connectivity, picture was inconsistent, and the app would just crash without warning and frequently.
Again, my complaints went unanswered with any semblance to anything logical, and I was good to uninstall the app and reinstall repeatedly, always with the same outcome.
This is my first DJI drone, but I've been flying drones for over five years and have never had problems with equipment or with a company like this before. Everything was a waiting game.
Well, two months ago, I was in my fenced-in back yard taking the craft up and down to about 10 feet and returning it to land to check some adjustments I had made with the global speed.
Without warning, my hovering Phantom 4 began to accelerate vertically quickly, and I had no control. The Go 4 app crashed, there was no response to the RTH request, and I had lost all GPS tracking (which I later learned from my flight data). My craft flew NNW of my position until I lost sight of it. However, my flight data shows that my very next flight began at 176 ft, in a neighborhood NE of my position that is clearly visible from my back yard, and is no where NEAR where my drone was - or was headed - when I lost sight of it. According to my flight data, that flight lasted a little over two minutes and
NEXT - again according to my flight data, I flew once again, this time starting my flight 1/4 mile away and at an altitude of 397 ft. Amazingly, my highest altitude recorded with my DJI Go 4 app still says 397ft. But if you check the so-called stats on that last flight that obviously my Phantom was doing of its own accord, it says the poor thing reached an altitude of over 9,900 ft.
I know the DJI Care 24 has a clause in it excluding lost drones, but my drone was not lost, I watched it plain as day fly off like it knew what it was doing.
Fast forward two months. No answer. Many complaints via phone calls, chard, and emails, but all I've ever been told is that I'll have to wait. No follow up, no straight answers that were coherent to the issue, and every time I DID get through to a rep on the chat line, it would take forever for them to verify my credentials, and sometimes is have to repeat my entire story as if it was both of ours' first day. Many times the chat would "time out" as if they just fell over dead on their end.
UNTIL June 29th, I FINALLY reached a guy on chat who spent a couple hours trying to help, and showed real empathy towards the situation. I even received an email explaining how he had personally walked my case through to the appropriate parties that needed to be involved to resolve my problem. I was told my replacement drone should be shipped within 5-10 business days.
Last night as the 18th of July, so I thought I'd better do another chat follow up.
Again, I was told that I would have to wait for the investigating team to complete their data report, or some BS. along those lines.
I explained that that wasn't good enough, that I had been waiting for two months and had received nothing but the runaround from them.
This "Tech Rep" then informed me that they didn't replace "Fly-away drones", even WITH the DJI Care 24 insurance package. I kindly explained to him that he was chatting with a former attorney, and that he was mistaken. The drone was not "LOST", the app was defective. I asked him that If what he was trying to feed me was true, why had I just been informed of this, and by him? Why did I have to supply my flight data, my proof of purchase, a copy of my Care 24 receipt, and why did the ONE EMAIL I DID RECEIVE from DJI contained an actual apology for the technical problems I had encountered and promised me a speedy and expedited resolution?
He then changed his story again and says that these type of issues take longer, that I would have to wait for the adviser from the data team in an email that I should receive in a couple of days.
I then asked him which of the stories he had just told me were true, because they contradicted each other. He wouldn't answer me. I informed him that if my automobile insurer offered me a policy, I purchased that said policy, and they were still telling me two months later that I was going to have to keep waiting, we would already be in court.
No reply. I am now discussing my llegar options with a couple of friends and former colleagues, but it's a **** shame it has to come to this.
I believe DJI, or some of those in their employ, are intentionally deceitful, strategically unethical, and morally bankrupt.
I hope you have better luck with them than I and many others have that I've discovered through a little online research, but this is one old fart they're going to regret taking as an easy mark. I hate bullies and I'm going to let them know that some of us little guys can put a substantial dent in their bottom line and their profit margins if they don't begin to treat us with the respect we deserve...

Sincerely,
David H.
DaGateKeeper

Sounds like what you need is a Yuneec!

Security issue my foot. Safety trumps security any day of the week, right now these affected drones cannot be in the air.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl