HELP, Gimbal Overload, camera pointing to the right!

Reaction score
After all calibrations went good, put on props to go out for first flight.

powered up controller, APP the Phantom and I get this!

gimbal overload warning in the APP and camera pointed to the right????

firmware 1.1.9

What do i do? Not good...

20150623_222647.jpg

That is seriously not good. Especially after finally making the decision and everything working fine up to go time....

Have you tried doing another gimble calibration? May not resolve but worth a shot.
I guess another alternative would be to upgrade the firmware but hold off on that since it can't be undone.

I'd turn everything off, P3 and controller. Turn everything on and wait to see if your gimbal straightens out after turning the P3 on. Usually it takes a few seconds to go straight but it's never that far as in your picture. Either way I'd then do another gimbal calibration.

If that doesn't work I'd try another IMU calibration then gimbal calibration on a very level surface. Wouldn't hurt to go outside after that and do a compass calibration (away from metal structures).

As the other person noted I'd be hesitant to upgrade to the latest firmware and would first probably contact DJI to ask them about the issue. You can chat with them from DJI's website. Sometimes they are ok and sometimes really no help at all. Main question is can this be fixed and do they recommend upgrading the firmware as an attempt to fix.

If they aren't any help its up to you if you want to try and return the P3 from the reseller you got it from or if you want to try the firmware upgrade.

Did you remove the small piece of foam at the top rear of the gimbal? Long shot, but perhaps if that is still in place from shipping it is interfering with gimbal startup? Mine does something similar, but has done so after a crash...screwed it up permanently. Not sure why yours would be so wonky right out of the box.

Reactions: jawad101
Did you remove the small piece of foam at the top rear of the gimbal? Long shot, but perhaps if that is still in place from shipping it is interfering with gimbal startup? Mine does something similar, but has done so after a crash...screwed it up permanently. Not sure why yours would be so wonky right out of the box.
I thought this at first also, but the OP said all calibrations went well. I assumed that meant a gimbal calibration also. That would fail for sure with foam still in place, right?

First things first....firmware! Since dji doesn't release logs or notes. How do you know one of the updates doesn't correct "rare cases of misaligned gimbals" or "corrects software ability to calibrate"

So I vote for fw update, being that the camera goes through motions during the update it might fix itself. Then recalibrate everything

I say skip firmware update and just recalibrate.....fyi the p3 is a lot more sensitive to ferrous metals than the p2....so a known good place to calibrate the p2 won't necessarily be good for the p3......that's my 2 cents anyway.

After all calibrations went good, put on props to go out for first flight.

powered up controller, APP the Phantom and I get this!

gimbal overload warning in the APP and camera pointed to the right????

firmware 1.1.9

What do i do? Not good...

View attachment 22803

Gimbals tilting or not looking straight usually means the IMU is out of whack.
Can you get a screen shot of your IMU values?
Also, try moving the P3 on all axis and see if the IMU values change. If there is a value that is NOT changing then it means the gyro/accelerometer is jammed.

I know exactly what it is.. I had the same issue, took it back to the place I bought it, and they replaced it. BUT as I was waiting for the new one to be brought out, the technician said he knew exactly what it was, and that it was a pretty simple fix. If you hold the phantom in front of you and look into the left side of it (phantom facing left), and push the back of the gimbal all the way to the back so the camera is pointing all the way to the left. you will see a little set screw right where the gimbal arm attaches to the motor that turns the gimbal to the left and right (I think it a tiny hex set screw). In my case this had loosened, and just needed to be tightened down. The way it should be aligned is that set screw should be tightened down on the flat side of the shaft coming down from the motor (which you can see if you look up underneath the phantom gimbal. Let me know if this gets you up and running...

I should be tightened down on the flat side of the shaft coming down from the motor

Wow, that was it!

The set screw was not tight and was not on the flat of the shaft. Fixed it, I repeated calibration and going to fly it. I still get this gimbal overload error but the camera is straight and the motors start.

Maybe the overload warning will go away after a few power cycles.

Thank you AmirChar

Reactions: Ari
Wow, that was it!

The set screw was not tight and was not on the flat of the shaft. Fixed it, I repeated calibration and going to fly it. I still get this gimbal overload error but the camera is straight and the motors start.

Thank you AmirChar
Nice, glad it worked.. besides IMU calibration, you also have a gimbal calibration tool you should run if you haven't. Hopefully between Gimbal, IMU and compas calibrations and firmware updates, you will be back to 100% :)

Mine just started doing some thing simuler after the last firmware update. it will start out straight then will start slowly wandering to its left. then if im flying and flying straight for a while it will wander left and if the gimble needs to move to the left it seems to be hitting the stop but thinking it still has more room to move and will start hoping around. and flashing a motor over load message on my app. and will go away if I yaw the craft about 90 degrees and it will go back to center again and stop doing it for a lil while till it creeps back over to the side. Calibrating every thing has not stopped it. here's a video of it happening when flying last night. starts at the 2:16 mark
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Ari
I know exactly what it is.. I had the same issue, took it back to the place I bought it, and they replaced it. BUT as I was waiting for the new one to be brought out, the technician said he knew exactly what it was, and that it was a pretty simple fix. If you hold the phantom in front of you and look into the left side of it (phantom facing left), and push the back of the gimbal all the way to the back so the camera is pointing all the way to the left. you will see a little set screw right where the gimbal arm attaches to the motor that turns the gimbal to the left and right (I think it a tiny hex set screw). In my case this had loosened, and just needed to be tightened down. The way it should be aligned is that set screw should be tightened down on the flat side of the shaft coming down from the motor (which you can see if you look up underneath the phantom gimbal. Let me know if this gets you up and running...

So glad I found this post!!!!! Had a horrific crash and kept getting the gimbal overload message. Kept saying "revome gimbal fixation". Adjusted that set screw and all seams to be perfect once again. Other than the scratches and paint on the top of the Phantom!

Reactions: ron_415 and Ari
In my case this had loosened, and just needed to be tightened down. The way it should be aligned is that set screw should be tightened down on the flat side of the shaft coming down from the motor (which you can see if you look up underneath the phantom gimbal. Let me know if this gets you up and running...

Thanks so much! I had the same problem and this fixed it too :)

Wow, that was it!

Thank you AmirChar

Thanks guys... I had the exact ssame problem and now it's fixed. Also, after I did IMU calibration on a very flat surface and then gimbal calibration, the "gimbal overload error" went away too :)

Hi, I don't suppose you could post a picture of the where to find this offending screw? Thanks

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437217255.761016.jpg

Here you go - not checked mine yet, need to find the correct screw driver !

Can someone explain what they mean by tightening it down so it's "flat on the shaft coming down from the motor"

Mine appears slightly recessed rather than flat or sticking up higher than the surface.

Thanks!

Reactions: Mike Gravo
Good thing you got it fixed, hopefully you'll be able to fix the other problems as well. This is what's great about this forum. Knowing that DJI takes a lot of time for repairs (shipping etc..) it's good that there are lots of knowledgable people in this forum that's willing to help.

View attachment 25133

Here you go - not checked mine yet, need to find the correct screw driver !

Can someone explain what they mean by tightening it down so it's "flat on the shaft coming down from the motor"

Mine appears slightly recessed rather than flat or sticking up higher than the surface.

Thanks!
The vertical motor shaft has a flat surface machined onto it for the gimbal set screw to engage and properly point the camera forward.

Same problem here the fix and a full recalibration of everything worked for me too.......if your having this problem don't forget to line up the screw with the flat part of the shaft....forgot this part and had to redo it

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic