Reaction score
Hey all... was enjoying a great weekend in VT when my drone fell from the sky yesterday... I had flown in the same area on sunday with no issues and had a great flight around the VT area and got some awesome footage. I've had my drone since Feb. and have flown it all over the country. I'd consider myself a pretty experienced flyer. Anyways... The drone was stored in our house all night so everything was room temp. although it was cold outside the battery temp looks to be normal. like i said i flew with no issues just 10hrs earlier the day before. Monday i took the out the drone like i have been for months, strapped the props on, calibrated it, made sure the home point was recorded, satellites were connected and took off... take off was normal and everything seemed fine up to about 150ft when suddenly it started dropping from the sky violently and hit the roof of our place going 65km/h. it hit the fresh snow but the damage looks irreparable. i'll post pics in a little just want to get this HD data up... From what i see the compass data is red which doesn't seem like a good thing... but i calibrated the compass before the flight...the battery is probably still on the roof we could not find it. and it was too dangerous to even stay up there any longer. 1 prop is broken in half, 2 look okay, and 1 is missing. I'm going to call DJI tmrw to see if they have any advice... looking here for community help first...
let me know if i can provide anything else.

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

@msinger sorry for the double post i asked for the other to be deleted and this one kept because its in a more visible forum area.

any analysis would be appreciated! ):

It looks like you found the cause. You lost a prop mid-flight.

The missing prop came off before the drone commenced its uncontrolled descent.

how common is that?!? props were tightened prior to the flight. how would it spin off mid flight?

Seemingly not very common (with the exception of props not installed properly). Other explanations could include worn/damaged hubs or a siezed motor.

Seemingly not very common (with the exception of props not installed properly). Other explanations could include worn/damaged hubs or a siezed motor.

I just find it odd how a prop could come off mid flight especially with it being torqued in place / them spinning the opposite way. does the rest of the flight data look normal?

To the extent the HD log analysis is correct 160 deg rotation in .1sec = 260+ rpm. Major propulsion system failure (in this instance on what is known a lost prop) would seem to provide the most probable explanation.

They do come off in flight if not installed correctly. While the thread configuration does suggest they are self tightening "Active breaking" can operate to slow the motors faster than the natural unaided deceleration of the rotating system. In these circumstances they can spin off if not properly installed.

A prop (a 9450) apparently spun off my P2V about five weeks ago at 400'. Yes, I initially installed it properly, but no I didn't check it and snug it up just before the flight. Also I was flying into 19 mph and gusty head winds. So yeah, it happens.

Not to hijack thread but...can props be installed with a dab of blue loctite if props are rarely uninstalled?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to hijack thread but...can props be installed with a dab of blue loctite if props are rarely uninstalled?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wouldn't... Blue loctite eats plastic. They won't come off if the hubs are in good condition and they are installed correctly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers