HDMI = Don't waste your money on the module!!

Reaction score
Let me tell you a little and quite expensive story about getting Goggles working on my P3A. read on;

I've been working on getting goggles working with my P3A for about a month! Ordered my first Fat Shark Goggles and HDMI module. Installation was a snap! 5 mins max.. However no video, tried everything TV, computer, etc, all I received was the OSD on the devices. I talked to the guys over at FLYFPV, they say "It has to be a problem with the HDMI adapter since your getting the same output on all your HDMI displays.

OK, sounds logical to me.. Received new HDMI module.. Same thing, OSD only, no video.. No extra section about HDMI in the channels section etc.. WTF ? I'm not the guy who gives up..

I purchase the latest HeadPlay HD FPV goggles. I really did not want that thing hanging from my face while i am at the beach flying and looking for sharks, they just don't look to sexy! Same Deal, same story..

I'm not going to give up now!! So I purchase a IPAD Lightning Digital AV Adapter, comes with a HDMI port and a Lightning port (which was meant to be plugged into the controller). I guess somewhere I missed the undocumented feature that the Lightning port is only for charging and does not work with data (So no controller connection).

I'm not only pissed, but will not give up until this problem is fixed. I get the RMA from DJI to send it in and "fix it". Not my style, I need to get to the bottom of this.. I have a nexus 6P which has a Class-C USB port for charging etc.. So I begin my search for a Class-C USB to HDMI, to USB adapter. Surprisingly, I found one that has HDMI, USB, WIRED LAN, and VGA OUTPUT!! AWESOME!! I am totally stoked, the product is from a reputable company of which I happened to work for about 10 years. So, I get the Dell DA-200 USB-C to HDMI/VGA/Ethernet/USB 3.0 adapter!!!! SAME F^%%*#)$ SJ1tt3 ! It just does not work with the Nexus 6P.

Can I be scammed to buy something else ??!! Then, I came across a writing somewhere that google does not want you to use the USB-C port as an HDMI out connection, and that google recommended instead to use the chromecast to mirror the device screen..

NO WAY! After spending thousands of dollars in time, money, and ultimate frustration.. I plug my Nexus into the controller via the USB-C to USB Cord. I turn on screen mirroring, plug my chromecast into my Headplay and done!!! No HDMI CORD From the Controller, IT LOOKS GREAT!

I'm still working on getting the Fat Shark to work, but so far all I see is the chromecast booting with the logo, but nothing after that.. Tomorrow, I will be the king GEEK in South Beach, MIA, with the HeadPlay Goggles!

If anyone has any advise as to why my Dominator HD2 is not getting any video, please advise as I don't want to be the geekiest guy on the beach!

sky

Did it occur to you that it may be upstream of the HDMI unit?

Sounds to me like it's in the controller or the ribbon that goes to the main board in the RC.

I would have tried a different remote or a inspire RC borrowed

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I purchase the latest HeadPlay HD FPV goggles. I really did not want that thing hanging from my face while i am at the beach flying and looking for sharks, they just don't look to sexy! Same Deal, same story..

I'm not going to give up now!! So I purchase a IPAD Lightning Digital AV Adapter, comes with a HDMI port and a Lightning port (which was meant to be plugged into the controller). I guess somewhere I missed the undocumented feature that the Lightning port is only for charging and does not work with data (So no controller connection).

I'm not only pissed, but will not give up until this problem is fixed. I get the RMA from DJI to send it in and "fix it". Not my style, I need to get to the bottom of this.. I have a nexus 6P which has a Class-C USB port for charging etc.. So I begin my search for a Class-C USB to HDMI, to USB adapter. Surprisingly, I found one that has HDMI, USB, WIRED LAN, and VGA OUTPUT!! AWESOME!! I am totally stoked, the product is from a reputable company of which I happened to work for about 10 years. So, I get the Dell DA-200 USB-C to HDMI/VGA/Ethernet/USB 3.0 adapter!!!! SAME F^%%*#)$ SJ1tt3 ! It just does not work with the Nexus 6P.

Can I be scammed to buy something else ??!! Then, I came across a writing somewhere that google does not want you to use the USB-C port as an HDMI out connection, and that google recommended instead to use the chromecast to mirror the device screen..

NO WAY! After spending thousands of dollars in time, money, and ultimate frustration.. I plug my Nexus into the controller via the USB-C to USB Cord. I turn on screen mirroring, plug my chromecast into my Headplay and done!!! No HDMI CORD From the Controller, IT LOOKS GREAT!

I'm still working on getting the Fat Shark to work, but so far all I see is the chromecast booting with the logo, but nothing after that.. Tomorrow, I will be the king GEEK in South Beach, MIA, with the HeadPlay Goggles!

If anyone has any advise as to why my Dominator HD2 is not getting any video, please advise as I don't want to be the geekiest guy on the beach!

sky

So you are just running usb plug out of the stock usb board or are you still using the hdmi board

It is probably the ribbon cable inside the HDMI module.They are very easy to damage.

I wonder if you remembered to turn on the dual display in the GO app?

it may have been the ribbon cable.. I have an extra one from a spare controller, but everything else works. The Dual display option never came up in the app.. I'm still using the hdmi board, just not using the HDMI function, waste of time waste of money... The wireless solution to my goggles vs. the wired hdmi port, it's kinda pointless because, the HDMI never worked. I find it hard to believe that it is the cable considering;

1) OSD On HDMI Receiver.
2) Everything else works fine.

if there is a specific pin on the cable that you know I will check it for damage.

You have to enable dual output in the settings in the DJI GO app I think.
It is here.
1473656252752.jpg

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using PhantomPilots mobile app

How many times do I have to say "THAT OPTION NEVER CAME UP".. And still with the HDMI module installed is not there.

Let me tell you a little and quite expensive story about getting Goggles working on my P3A. read on;

I've been working on getting goggles working with my P3A for about a month! Ordered my first Fat Shark Goggles and HDMI module. Installation was a snap! 5 mins max.. However no video, tried everything TV, computer, etc, all I received was the OSD on the devices. I talked to the guys over at FLYFPV, they say "It has to be a problem with the HDMI adapter since your getting the same output on all your HDMI displays.

OK, sounds logical to me.. Received new HDMI module.. Same thing, OSD only, no video.. No extra section about HDMI in the channels section etc.. WTF ? I'm not the guy who gives up..

sky

The same thing happened to me except that I got a signal only when I jiggled the hdmi cable. I have the Headplay goggles so I will talk about that. However, I am guessing that the same problem exists for Fatsharks etc. Headplay does not have a proper socket that is tight with the hdmi cable Neither does DJI. What I did was to use a piece of plastic about 1/32 inch or could be a bit more, and cut it out to where it will fit "under" the hdmi plug to tighten it "up" under the plug. You have to push it in under the plug once inserted. Do not put the piece of plastic on top as the tightening factor has to be under the plug to push it up to make a good connection. The same thing is true with the hdmi socket on the hdmi module you had to pay $99.00 for which also has a loose connection. This may be more difficult to fix but it does require a pushing up of the cable to make it connect. You can test this by looking into the headplay goggles and moving the cable. Once I tightened them up. It worked. Nice. Takes some work, but you spent the money, might as well use it. And Yes as FantomFlier said, ensure you have turned on dual hdmi display in dji go app. Happy flying.

I agree... It's not coming up because something is wrong with the board itself (2nd one right?), but more than likely the Controller or Ribbon cable.

Sometimes people crease or tear the ribbon going to the HDMI board. If you haven't had the controller apart completely, I would look and check the connection inside the controller. Sounds to me like everything is working, downstream of the HDMI board... Everything upstream is F'D!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I had a similar issue and although it may sound obvious, but make sure your firmware is up-to-date on the RC & Drone. That was my problem.

Reactions: BigAl07
When I installed my HDMI board it never popped up. I upgraded the FM and it still didn't. I asked for help on here and someone showed me where the option was and WHAM! Worked like a charm. I'd say follow Jake's advice then go and set the option in GO manually.

The same thing happened to me except that I got a signal only when I jiggled the hdmi cable. I have the Headplay goggles so I will talk about that. However, I am guessing that the same problem exists for Fatsharks etc. Headplay does not have a proper socket that is tight with the hdmi cable Neither does DJI. What I did was to use a piece of plastic about 1/32 inch or could be a bit more, and cut it out to where it will fit "under" the hdmi plug to tighten it "up" under the plug. You have to push it in under the plug once inserted. Do not put the piece of plastic on top as the tightening factor has to be under the plug to push it up to make a good connection. The same thing is true with the hdmi socket on the hdmi module you had to pay $99.00 for which also has a loose connection. This may be more difficult to fix but it does require a pushing up of the cable to make it connect. You can test this by looking into the headplay goggles and moving the cable. Once I tightened them up. It worked. Nice. Takes some work, but you spent the money, might as well use it. And Yes as FantomFlier said, ensure you have turned on dual hdmi display in dji go app. Happy flying.
HDMI sucks as a cable standard. The connectors are complicated and fragile. So HDMI cable issues are my first go to when I'm troubleshooting a problem. For the Headplays, I use a 3 or 4 inch HDMI to mini HDMI cable that connects to the mini - mini cables that I have. I did that so I wouldn't be carrying so many stupid HDMI variants but it turns out to be a reasonable answer to the stuck-deep-in-the-plastic-connector design. YMMV.

My favorite HDMI rant.
DMI is a digital video/audio signal format which, since its introduction just a few years ago, has taken the home theater world by storm. An HDMI cable consists primarily of a set of shielded twisted pairs which carry video data, together with embedded audio, at extremely high bitrates. While analog component video cable is, in practice, every bit as good a method of delivering video to displays as HDMI cable, the content-providing industries have strongly supported HDMI because it provides a platform for the implementation of HDCP (High Definition Content Protection) to prevent consumers from having complete access to the contents of high-definition digital recordings. As one might expect from a standard that was developed more to serve the content providers than to aid the consumer, HDMI has presented a few problems. Unlike analog component video, the signal is not robust over distance because it was designed to run balanced when it should have been run unbalanced (SDI, the commercial digital video standard, can be run hundreds of feet over a single coax without any performance issues); the HDMI cable is a complicated rat's-nest arrangement involving nineteen conductors; switches, repeaters and distribution amplifiers for use with HDMI cable, by virtue of this complicated scheme, are made unnecessarily complicated and troublesome; and the HDMI cable plug is prone to falling out of the jack with the slightest tug. On the plus side, in the great majority of simple installations, HDMI works trouble-free, and its "one-cable" approach to home theater interconnection has simplified the process of setting up most equipment racks.

Reactions: NRJ and Digdat0
HWCM, I apologize for my response to your help. But in HD settings right below the channel selection there is no selection to dual output to HDMI or anything regarding HDMI for that matter. My question would be why do I get the OSD ? And not video.. I'll try board cable replacement tmrw and tune back in.

Reactions: HWCM

sky
How do you get chromecast working when plugged into HeadPlay. I thought chromecast had to be connected to a network? Also, what are you using to power the chromecast, unless the Headplay has batteries and it draws from that?

Last edited:
You are on the latest FW, but did you install the firmware before or after you installed the HDMI board?

I still struggle with my Headplays. They work great for about 5 minutes, then I get video disconnects. Headplay freezes and ipad screen goes black. I cancel the RTH option it asks and video comes back for another minute and goes black again. It's not the Headplays, as it happens when I connect to my TV with HDMI also. Without the HDMI module connected, my video feed is excellent.

**sigh

I still struggle with my Headplays. They work great for about 5 minutes, then I get video disconnects. Headplay freezes and ipad screen goes black. I cancel the RTH option it asks and video comes back for another minute and goes black again. It's not the Headplays, as it happens when I connect to my TV with HDMI also. Without the HDMI module connected, my video feed is excellent.

**sigh

I'm having the same problem. I am only able to fly for about 150 to 200 ft out and then I lose contact with the AC. It is so bad that even when I disconnect the HDMI cable, there is still no connection. I can't do anything. I have to hit RTH and after about about 1 1/2 minute there is enough connection for it to initiate RTH. However, my Galaxy Tab 4 is still frozen. I can't get it back to see what is going on. I have to restart it to get anything on it. I was thinking it was my tablet. But you are using an iPad. I'm using the HDMI module too. It used to work though. The only thing I did was to get a longer HDMI cable, 6ft vs. 3ft. I'll try the 3ft again and compare them to see if that is the problem. Hmmm. This is crazy.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic