Have Your Neighbors Made Their Property A No Fly Zone?

I flew for 3+ hours yesterday at 4 locations getting flood footage. 1st a sheriffs deputy pulled up and talked to me about the high water, showed me his phone pics and left without giving the phantom a 2nd look. Next a NC dept of Emergency Preparedness vehicle, full on lights flashing, parked in the middle of the bridge I was flying from, 2 guys got out and got a kick out of the cameras view on the tablet. One mentioned that he needs one for work. Every person I encountered on a face to face situation was very very positive about my quad flying and the images it's capable of getting.
I think there is a major disconnect between what the media is pushing and how the majority of folks here feels.

Last edited:
I flew for 3+ hours yesterday at 4 locations getting flood footage. 1st a sheriffs deputy pulled up and talked to me about the high water, showed me his phone pics and left without giving the phantom a 2nd look. Next a NC dept of Emergency vehicle, full on lights flashing, parked in the middle of the bridge I was flying from, 2 guys got out and got a kick out of the cameras view on the tablet. One mentioned that he needs one for work. Every person I encountered on a face to face situation was very very positive about my quad flying and the images it's capable of getting.
I think there is a major disconnect between what the media is pushing and how the majority of folks here feels.
I agree, I have never had a negative encounter... yet. :)

Reactions: Phil Sutphin
Maybe a letter to each registered local explaing that I saw their property on the nfz website is in order. Not a nasty or derogatory letter but just let each one know that I've noted the nfz, plan to honor it without question and will pass the info on to local pilots.
Since these folks like their privacy so much, entering such a database is a odd approach to fixing a non problem.

I'm thinking there's a lesson here for those who thought government getting involved was just peachy. Give 'em an inch.............................

Best solution for all this worry? Go to Noflyzone .org & setup a NFZ around your own property. Start up your Phantom & see what happens. I personally haven't done this, but IMO, nothing will happen.

I further presume all this does for the property owner is to give you a warning they don't want you to fly over their property. A sort of, "No need to ask for permission. No, I don't want you flying over my property."

Yet going to the FAA website they say you CAN fly or hover over someone's property so go figure.

I somewhat agree with NFZ over private property but their needs to be a more comprehensive process for somebody to implement a NFZ around their property. I think they should have to articulate during the registering process why they want their property protected. If they say "I want to maintain privacy, or I don't want somebody spying on me" that reasoning alone doesn't warrant a NFZ because that expectation of privacy is unrealistic as successfully spying on somebody with a P3 or other drone is nearly impossible. Also these NFZ's should also apply to manned aircraft. The other day I had a manned heli hovering above my neighborhood just above the power lines. Full scale pilots should also obtain approval before flying over ones "private airspace". Also I think somebody should have to inspect the property line before implementing the NFZ. This will prevent people from setting unrealistic boundaries. Also the NFZ for private property should only include a realistic boundary and limited airspace above, such as 100ft. Anything above 100ft over private property is free public airspace imo.

Best solution for all this worry? Go to Noflyzone .org & setup a NFZ around your own property. Start up your Phantom & see what happens. I personally haven't done this, but IMO, nothing will happen.

I further presume all this does for the property owner is to give you a warning they don't want you to fly over their property. A sort of, "No need to ask for permission. No, I don't want you flying over my property."

Yet going to the FAA website they say you CAN fly or hover over someone's property so go figure.

I think it requires a firmware update to either the craft or DJI pilot app. Simply registering your property on the website does not instantly protect your property.

Are we sure that this isn't just implemented in DJI Go? What about Litchi, do these NFZ's show up on there too?

Are we sure that this isn't just implemented in DJI Go? What about Litchi, do these NFZ's show up on there too?

The beta right now requires both the DJI Go and the FC on the craft to be updated. If you are using a 3rd party app the FC would still enforce the NFZ, and maybe without warning.

DJI brings geofencing to drones
"With GEO, drones by default will not take off or be able to fly into “no-fly zones,” but operators will have the ability to temporarily unlock or self-authorize flights in some locations. In order to unlock flights, a user will have to provide a verified credit card, debit card or mobile phone number. DJI will not charge the drone operator, but rather provide a measure of accountability in the event the unlocked flight is investigated by authorities.

"Our years of actual user experience have shown that in most instances, strict geofencing is the wrong approach for this technology, and instead we are helping operators make informed, accountable decisions," Schulman said.

The system will be powered by AirMap, and initially launch in North America and Europe."

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20