Have Your Neighbors Made Their Property A No Fly Zone?

My point is... what does this have to do with the topic being discussed?
People are saying their neighbors have forbidden any airborne activity over their houses. I'm saying that - not only do my neighbors allow it - they are asking me to fly over their house.

Is that related to what's being discussed?

Reactions: FallingArdor
DJI brings geofencing to drones
"With GEO, drones by default will not take off or be able to fly into “no-fly zones,” but operators will have the ability to temporarily unlock or self-authorize flights in some locations. In order to unlock flights, a user will have to provide a verified credit card, debit card or mobile phone number. DJI will not charge the drone operator, but rather provide a measure of accountability in the event the unlocked flight is investigated by authorities.

"Our years of actual user experience have shown that in most instances, strict geofencing is the wrong approach for this technology, and instead we are helping operators make informed, accountable decisions," Schulman said.

The system will be powered by AirMap, and initially launch in North America and Europe."
That's an old link.

DJI brings geofencing to drones
"With GEO, drones by default will not take off or be able to fly into “no-fly zones,” but operators will have the ability to temporarily unlock or self-authorize flights in some locations. In order to unlock flights, a user will have to provide a verified credit card, debit card or mobile phone number. DJI will not charge the drone operator, but rather provide a measure of accountability in the event the unlocked flight is investigated by authorities.

"Our years of actual user experience have shown that in most instances, strict geofencing is the wrong approach for this technology, and instead we are helping operators make informed, accountable decisions," Schulman said.

The system will be powered by AirMap, and initially launch in North America and Europe."
Your last statement is false. Go to the DJI website, then to their GEO No Fly Zone Map. You will see their statement that they are NOT going to use the Airmap. They will be using their OWN map. The Airmap is only a model & for demonstration purposes.

Here is the statement by DJI: In their FAQ section regarding the use of Airmap.io. : No. AirMap is our airspace data provider for information such as airport locations and TFRs. The public site at AirMap.io is for its own demonstration purposes and is not representative of what data is used by GEO or how DJI has implemented that data. DJI may also add to the data provided by AirMap. To see a representation of the locations included in GEO you should consult this map, not AirMap.io.

I think that this is something to be unconcerned. First off, registering your house or property with the site as a NFZ does not make it such; only the FAA can define NFZ. So, IMO this is a stunt by Airmap, nothing more and it carries no legal weight or any kind.

Additionally, DJI has indicated that they will be using only the FAA, defined NFZ and even still only a small part of that list. I think I've heard about airports, sporting event and other (temporary) NFZs and possibly, in the future locations like prisons and other high value areas. Personal NFZ are not recognized by the FAA so I doubt they will ever be treated as official.

Reactions: Phil Sutphin
I'm not sure that registering your home as a no fly zone grants you any authority. The site says "This layer displays private properties that have registered through NoFlyZone.org. This layer provides value to operators by letting them know that the registrant has requested that drones not fly over their property. Avoiding these properties may allow operators to voluntarily respect privacy, minimize hassles and decrease the likelihood of a dispute."

So, IMO this is a stunt by Airmap

Yep.
I've checked out, in person, a couple of the local NFZ private properties this morning, at least one of them houses a nut case if he thinks drone traffic is what stands between him and privacy.
A series of interview videos with the nfz registrants would be interesting I think, prefaced on "privacy issues". Finish the interview by showing them how many images of their property there are on the 'net, GIS info and like in the instances this am, the lack of privacy from public streets.

I personally love the idea, I've been in the RC hobby a long time, I'm used to flying at fields and parks, etc. The idea of 10 phantom 3s buzzing over my house piloted some newbies that doesn't know the first thing about flying or the rules, guidelines or is just a total jerk about things I'd like to be able to block them. Seriously not a bad idea. It's just the skill level required to fly is nothing then they go off doing BVOLS thinking it's cool.

I mean, the only one gonna watch my hot wife sunbathing is me! :)

Yep its all enforced by GeoFencing. Problem with this technology is that they can set boundaries and one is breached it could send a notification to the FAA (for instance you are exceeding the recommended flight height, etc). They get your drones SN and real time coords and if they want to enforce a fine have fun fighting it.

Yep its all enforced by GeoFencing. Problem with this technology is that they can set boundaries and one is breached it could send a notification to the FAA (for instance you are exceeding the recommended flight height, etc). They get your drones SN and real time coords and if they want to enforce a fine have fun fighting it.
Nobody has my serial number.

My neighbor asked me if I could take some video of his house.

My neighbor did the same and was very excited about seeing his house from above and told me how he and his wife shared with their family and friends, noting how cool it was! :)

I think that this is something to be unconcerned. First off, registering your house or property with the site as a NFZ does not make it such; only the FAA can define NFZ. So, IMO this is a stunt by Airmap, nothing more and it carries no legal weight or any kind.

Additionally, DJI has indicated that they will be using only the FAA, defined NFZ and even still only a small part of that list. I think I've heard about airports, sporting event and other (temporary) NFZs and possibly, in the future locations like prisons and other high value areas. Personal NFZ are not recognized by the FAA so I doubt they will ever be treated as official.
True, it is not an FAA NFZ but UAV makers could voluntarily work with them (like DJI & 3DR) and use the live updating to add NFZ (their own, not FAA) anytime they want. Whats to say this isn't the case in the future. Since Airmap plans on charging some users don't you think there will be bite to go along with the bark? How else could they charge if they can't deliver to their clients? It may not be true today, but how about tomorrow? These made up personal NFZ's don't need to be 'official' if the manufacturers bake in restrictions that include them. It has nothing to do with the FAA.

I personally love the idea, I've been in the RC hobby a long time, I'm used to flying at fields and parks, etc. The idea of 10 phantom 3s buzzing over my house piloted some newbies that doesn't know the first thing about flying or the rules, guidelines or is just a total jerk about things I'd like to be able to block them. Seriously not a bad idea. It's just the skill level required to fly is nothing then they go off doing BVOLS thinking it's cool.

I mean, the only one gonna watch my hot wife sunbathing is me! :)

I don't mind anyone watching my freezing cold wife sunbathing this time of year--she enjoys the attention... Besides with the typical phantom wide angle lenses (fisheyes even on early models); you know very well that someone would have to be landing on her tummy to get a decent view. There's much easier ways to spy on your hot wife, and even easier ways to "spy" on any hot wife that's posted pictures online; if that's what your urge is for. I dunno, maybe I just assume would-be-voyeurs would find more efficient (easier-lazier) ways to spy on people than with their noisy hover-cameras.

(I know this, because I've videoed my hot wife trying to cool off in the pool with said noisy drone).

No Fly Zone
AirMap.io

I have neighbors who have done this already and I don't even fly near my house! :eek:

This allows your neighbors to list their home or apartment as a 'no fly zone' for free and DJI UAV's will possibly not fly there. This is ridiculous! Pretty soon all neighborhoods & land will become 'no fly zones' as this gets more public exposure. I guess since DJI partnered with them they don't want to sell UAV's in the future because many people won't have anywhere to fly.
Why are you flying over your neighbors house. Doesn't seem very neighborly.

Really guys, stop thinking that you should be able to fly anywhere / anytime. I see dozens of videos here where operators are really pushing the limits of what is safe and reasonable. No, an out of control Phantom is unlikely to seriously injury anyone - although it's possible - but who the hell wants bits of plastic and metal raining down from the sky? I could take my 12 gauge shotgun, load it with 00 buck and shoot it at a 45 degree angle into my neighbor's yard. Perfectly harmless, especially with steel shot as you can even eat the stuff without ill effect. But it's not a very nice thing to do.

Stay away from people, people.

Reactions: GodFear17
I don't mind anyone watching my freezing cold wife sunbathing this time of year--she enjoys the attention... Besides with the typical phantom wide angle lenses (fisheyes even on early models); you know very well that someone would have to be landing on her tummy to get a decent view. There's much easier ways to spy on your hot wife, and even easier ways to "spy" on any hot wife that's posted pictures online; if that's what your urge is for. I dunno, maybe I just assume would-be-voyeurs would find more efficient (easier-lazier) ways to spy on people than with their noisy hover-cameras.

(I know this, because I've videoed my hot wife trying to cool off in the pool with said noisy drone).

That's the thing though, all these dang drones keep landing on or near her and just sit there. Seriously... I go out back and she has like 5 - 10 drones all live youtube streaming... It's gotta stop! :)

That's the thing though, all these dang drones keep landing on or near her and just sit there. Seriously... I go out back and she has like 5 - 10 drones all live youtube streaming... It's gotta stop! :)
One word, Craigslist. Gather them up and sell them

Reactions: GodFear17

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik