Have Your Neighbors Made Their Property A No Fly Zone?

Seems pretty much on where I have looked.

Screen Shot 2016-01-01 at 6.07.26 PM✨.png

No Fly Zone

"Property owners own the airspace above their land up to a certain height, but there has been a centuries-long legal debate about what that height is. NoFlyZone.org does not provide any legal advice or opinions. Our participants voluntarily agree to exclude their drones from overflying registrant’s properties. "

They are in the biz and they don't even have their facts correct. No one owes the airspace 1" above their property. They do have an _easement_ though.

Reactions: Dirty Bird
Let's be realistic. Only the FAA has the authority to designate a NFZ. My neighbor has no legal authority to do this. Furthermore, even IF this were allowed? DJI would be out of business because no one would purchase a product they couldn't use.

IMO, this third party website is just giving paranoid people a placebo. Besides, again if it were true , just authorize yourself to over ride it as someone else stated earlier.

Reactions: kenargo and JBG
Wont let me copy & paste but here is a section from the FAQ. Doesn't appear to be an opt out for it.

View attachment 39097
I think that was wishful thinking by the site developers.

DJI appears to not have implemented it that way.

DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography
Is DJI implementing AirMap's system?
No. AirMap is our airspace data provider for information such as airport locations and TFRs. The public site at AirMap.io is for its own demonstration purposes and is not representative of what data is used by GEO or how DJI has implemented that data. DJI may also add to the data provided by AirMap. To see a representation of the locations included in GEO you should consult this map, not AirMap.io.

Reactions: Meta4 and Lonewolf
What a joke! I can't understand all the hoopla over privacy and quads. So your a nudist! I **** sure don't want to see what gravity and time has done to your bag of bones. Why in the world would someone with a flying camera waste flight time on lard asses. There's more really HOT bodies on the net at the push of a button than in all the backyards in town!
No one should be flying over any strangers house at less than 150' feet (and not just hovering then) anyway regardless of anything.
I just compared 2 of the locals properties that registered, to the county gis site, seems that the highlighted areas match the property lines.
It makes it nice and easy to see who is the most paranoid! The mouth breathers that register are either "up to no good" i.e. not providing for pets properly, cooking meth or raping their children in their sheds.
I think a website with every piece of registered property, the owners info, a google street view pic and a bing map screenshot for each would be funny.
There's no way that I'll be able to refrain from contacting the local idiots.

Man that is soo stooppppid

What a joke! I can't understand all the hoopla over privacy and quads. So your a nudist! I **** sure don't want to see what gravity and time has done to your bag of bones. Why in the world would someone with a flying camera waste flight time on lard asses. There's more really HOT bodies on the net at the push of a button than in all the backyards in town!
No one should be flying over any strangers house at less than 150' feet (and not just hovering then) anyway regardless of anything.
I just compared 2 of the locals properties that registered, to the county gis site, seems that the highlighted areas match the property lines.
It makes it nice and easy to see who is the most paranoid! The mouth breathers that register are either "up to no good" i.e. not providing for pets properly, cooking meth or raping their children in their sheds.
I think a website with every piece of registered property, the owners info, a google street view pic and a bing map screenshot for each would be funny.
There's no way that I'll be able to refrain from contacting the local idiots.

If I was a nudist (I am not), I'd be glad for people to fly over me and see how hot and sexy I am. But sadly, I'm neither hot nor sexy so I am not a nudist.

As for spying on neighbors, it would actually be easier to spy on them from just outside their property, so that I get a view from an angle instead of top down. From top down, you see the top of a bald head. From a side view, the whole body. So, for anyone with a typical small suburban lot, this doesn't accomplish much. For big lots, sure... if your house is say 500 feet from the property border, there's not much that can be seen from that far away with the current zoom-less Phantom cameras. I did some experiments recently with my P3A... I put it at just 200 feet up, where it is plenty loud and noticeable, over my own yard and took video of my wife and I (from an angle so its not just a head view). I copied the video to the PC and took screen snapshots... we were each 8 pixels high (I counted). There's not much useful info I can tell other than "Yup, there's a house, there's a car, there's a person, there's a bush"... same stuff I can tell from the ground unless they have a really high fence.

And they can't stop me from flying within 1' of the property line, asinine.
I understand the philosophy of not going to look for trouble but all the crap from self righteous people with no life (or quad) is already on my nerves and thats not good for them, trust me.

And they can't stop me from flying within 1' of the property line, asinine.
I understand the philosophy of not going to look for trouble but all the crap from self righteous people with no life (or quad) is already on my nerves and thats not good for them, trust me.
You could fly 1' from the line, that is until they tell their neighbor and they also make a NFZ, then their neighbor does it and so on. Eventually huge areas will be blocked off by these so called NFZ's.

If, if their neighbors like them.
There's no reason to be flying in town around neighborhoods anyway, there's almost nothing interesting about it.
If you've seen the stuff I post, it's mostly away from city life.
I agree, and I don't fly in my neighborhood, but what happens when it becomes more popular and the owners of the places you fly decide to make them NFZ? Do you see where I am going with this? The patchwork will eventually cover all areas.

That's possible, we'll see.
It's just disturbing that folks are not informed and are worried enough about quad traffic to go so far as to bring their level of ignorance and paranoia to the public eye.
The medias brainwashing has definetly skewed reality concerning this hobby.

Okay, sorry if I'm being dense here, but I don't understand that noflyzone.org web site. I don't see where I can see the existing places that have been marked as no fly zones. All it wants me to do, and quite eagerly, is to enter my address into it... which I don't want to do, since I want to fly where I live. Do I have to enter an address before I see the other addresses people have entered? Or, are those automatically put at that airmap web site?

By the way, I can't seem to find any private addresses at airmap... I've even looked in other areas closer to cities.

upload_2016-1-1_16-6-6.png

You need to select "Private Properties" and then zoom to your area to see them.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20