Have Your Neighbors Made Their Property A No Fly Zone?

I'm hoping that's correct, the way I understood it.
Wont let me copy & paste but here is a section from the FAQ. Doesn't appear to be an opt out for it.

Screen Shot 2016-01-01 at 4.56.33 PM✨.png

When he wind dies down I am going to try to fly into the one near me and see what the app tells me. The P2 of mine is getting better all the time. Glad I kept it.
This type of worry is why I kept my P2V+ as well.

I just can't see DJI cutting off its customers in what looks like a well intentioned idea poorly implemented. What's that quote? Oh yeah, "If you like your drone you'll be able to keep your drone."

Perhaps DJI can speak up and clarify this for everyone.

Reactions: MrTommy
this is ridiculous. have about 5 houses in my area already. didn't think dji would pull this bs. are they geofenced? so you can't fly there at all?

Per the AirMap website:
Private Properties
"This layer displays private properties that have registered through NoFlyZone.org. This layer provides value to operators by letting them know that the registrant has requested that drones not fly over their property. Avoiding these properties may allow operators to voluntarily respect privacy, minimize hassles and decrease the likelihood of a dispute."

So at least at this point, DJI should not be imposing these areas and if you look at the map, I cannot imagine they would have the ability to manage that. I would be huge.

Phil

will it be against the law to fly in these places?

Edit: never mind answered above...

Okay, sorry if I'm being dense here, but I don't understand that noflyzone.org web site. I don't see where I can see the existing places that have been marked as no fly zones. All it wants me to do, and quite eagerly, is to enter my address into it... which I don't want to do, since I want to fly where I live. Do I have to enter an address before I see the other addresses people have entered? Or, are those automatically put at that airmap web site?

By the way, I can't seem to find any private addresses at airmap... I've even looked in other areas closer to cities.

Okay, sorry if I'm being dense here, but I don't understand that noflyzone.org web site. I don't see where I can see the existing places that have been marked as no fly zones. All it wants me to do, and quite eagerly, is to enter my address into it... which I don't want to do, since I want to fly where I live. Do I have to enter an address before I see the other addresses people have entered? Or, are those automatically put at that airmap web site?

By the way, I can't seem to find any private addresses at airmap... I've even looked in other areas closer to cities.
AirMap is the part that the UAV makers will collaborate with, the 'NoFlyZone' site is where you add your address for a NFZ. So check AirMap for the map.

Per the AirMap website:
Private Properties
"This layer displays private properties that have registered through NoFlyZone.org. This layer provides value to operators by letting them know that the registrant has requested that drones not fly over their property. Avoiding these properties may allow operators to voluntarily respect privacy, minimize hassles and decrease the likelihood of a dispute."

So at least at this point, DJI should not be imposing these areas and if you look at the map, I cannot imagine they would have the ability to manage that. I would be huge.

Phil
They don't have to manage it, AirMap does that for them. DJI is voluntarily working with them. So in essence they are making up their own NFZ that they impose on P3 and future customers.

I hope I am missing something and there is an opt-out or it is completely voluntary. The NFZ site says on it they will charge a fee to certain users in the future so this is for profit venture.

Not sure how long this has been out and how many pilots know of this. I'll bet many will not be is such a great hurry to update their birds. I think this will be so misused. How do they know the property limits? Guess my P1s will have to do for me. I say "fly" They say "where and how high" Good enough for me.

Reactions: rcfanatics and 750r
In the Brendan Schulman interview, he was asked about this and said that DJI were not taking the voluntary homeowner NFZs ... just the official FAA, airports etc NFZs from Airmap.
I hope this is correct & they stick to that. Thanks Meta.

Not sure how long this has been out and how many pilots know of this. I'll bet many will not be is such a great hurry to update their birds. I think this will be so misused. How do they know the property limits? Guess my P1s will have to do for me. I say "fly" They say "where and how high" Good enough for me.
The FAQ is interesting. They use an email to verify but want a utility bill or similar to remove it. The property lines are managed by the sites software.

I hope this is correct & they stick to that. Thanks Meta.
Listening to the interview now, I can't find that bit ... perhaps I heard it somewhere else.
In his video he says DJI is going to concentrate on aviation safety and security issues and not do things like locking off national parks.

The FAQ is interesting. They use an email to verify but want a utility bill or similar to remove it. The property lines are managed by the sites software.
I don't see how the site would know property lines or does it just place a big no fly circle over it. It's very possible that these zones could overlay on others property that don't want it or have drones of their own to fly on their property.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues