Have you upgraded from P4 to P4P?

I just checked I got the GL-300B both controllers, I guess I'm good lol , but yeah the controller I modded w DBS was falling apart , the left top post and bottom post fell apart when I opened the controller I put that together with weldon 3 glue and they seem to hold for now, it's sad how brittle the plastic is, I wonder what would happen if one dropped the controller on pavement lol , you would have a DJI puzzle of plastic to glue together...
I will keep the modded controller for the P4 I may get if the range result won't improve on P4P...

Reactions: hotashes
Hey John, how much can you buy a GL300A or B for?? Are these from the Inspire and P3's?? Where should I look??
GL300A&B are from early P3Ps. Those are available on eBay for about $150-$200 usually. The Inspire GL658A is what I use with my P4, it's got a little more punch than GL300A, about 50% more transmit power than GL300C, which comes with P4 and newer P3P craft. With Windsurfer that gets me out 2+mi most anywhere, as much as 3mi.

Last edited:
I got rid of my P4 for a Mavic/P4P combo. My first flights with the P4P had no issues, better in every way than the P4.

I still have 2 x P3P (both with GL300A ctrl) and I didn't upgrade to P4, supposing that something better soon would come out... Now I've ordered a P4P and I'm going to sell one of my P3P. I'm still thinking about a P4P+ instead of a P4P ...

I was really keen to get myself a P4P but slowly I am being put off. Here are the reasons I am waiting till spring, well some of them anyway.

I read a lot of reports about the P4P's range not being as stated in the sales bumph. I do need the signal to be as strong as reported. Not to travel far but to re-assured that even flying just locally I stand less chance of loosing signal. Longer range implies a stronger signal. Thats one.

Another sales pitch is that they have all round sensors including new side sensors so you dont drift into things at the side whilst flying sideways in say 'course lock' mode, or whatever they call it on the P4P. Turns out the side sensors only work in beginner mode? Thats two.

There are others but these will suffice for now.

I believe it should be possible to use the p4p with the controllers of the p3p like the 300a....would be interesting to hear if this is a success ?

I believe it should be possible to use the p4p with the controllers of the p3p like the 300a....would be interesting to hear if this is a success ?
It's not possible.

This is my first drone and I am having some buyers regrets. Funny my P4P is still in the box. I got it late Friday. It's been raining all weekend in the DFW area. I have been reading these post and slowly becoming depress. I clearly understand bug issues. But when I spend $1.5k on a product I expect it to work close to what was marketed and advertised. None of the YouTube P4P testers mentioned any of these issues. Most of them stated they are not getting paid for their comment on the P4P. I heard raving reviews. I must admit I am afraid to my P4P in the sky due to these issues.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: morph1
A depressing illustration of how, these days, we expect the internet to be the same thing as reality. I can't help but believe that people with those concerns are perhaps not well-suited to buying complex electronics. Particularly those that fly.

Last edited:
Reactions: smiller
I remember a while back when P4 just came out how DJI stuff on DJI forum tried to convince everyone that GL300A and B are exactly the same as GL300C as matter of fact they insisted that GL300 C had even better range and all the fan boys stuck with the idea that they were told the truth lol.
I used to have a P4 but returned it as it would RTH at 600 meters where my P3P would go 2.2 km.
I love the technology they provide by all means , top of the line product , but the relation ship with the customers and the BS they keep feeding and exaggerated specifications about their product is what I absolutely can't stand about them.
Especially denial of problems and avoiding to admit that some problems do exist.
For the future I hope they will drop the ridiculous shape of the shell in P5 and come up with a more futuristic and aerodynamic shell / shape design as the current design of the phantom drone looks like a one butt ugly toy.
It's 2 below 0 c , and I am just debating if I should go out there and try the DBS range test.

Reactions: Wpollard
That's good news did you calibrate your IMU and have any issues with that like error 22 ?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
No i did not calibrate the IMU. I followed the DJI instructions that say not to do it unless prompted. I have absolutely zero issues, no drift, nothing. Great drone, love it so far.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
I was really keen to get myself a P4P but slowly I am being put off. Here are the reasons I am waiting till spring, well some of them anyway.

I read a lot of reports about the P4P's range not being as stated in the sales bumph. I do need the signal to be as strong as reported. Not to travel far but to re-assured that even flying just locally I stand less chance of loosing signal. Longer range implies a stronger signal. Thats one.

Another sales pitch is that they have all round sensors including new side sensors so you dont drift into things at the side whilst flying sideways in say 'course lock' mode, or whatever they call it on the P4P. Turns out the side sensors only work in beginner mode? Thats two.

There are others but these will suffice for now.
The range is fine and the front and rear sensor view is so wide the side sensor are not needed. They work in beginner mode as you mentioned, but also in tripod mode which is great for indoor use.

I understand the need to talk yourself out of it if you don't want to spend the money, but this is hands down he best drone I've ever used. No regrets.

This is my first drone and I am having some buyers regrets. Funny my P4P is still in the box. I got it late Friday. It's been raining all weekend in the DFW area. I have been reading these post and slowly becoming depress. I clearly understand bug issues. But when I spend $1.5k on a product I expect it to work close to what was marketed and advertised. None of the YouTube P4P testers mentioned any of these issues. Most of them stated they are not getting paid for their comment on the P4P. I heard raving reviews. I must admit I am afraid to my P4P in the sky due to these issues.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
Meanwhile I'm having the time of my life flying mine around. Ignore naysayers, this thing is fantastic. Don't listen to those who tell you to deviate from DJI's instructions. Just fly and enjoy.

The range is fine and the front and rear sensor view is so wide the side sensor are not needed. They work in beginner mode as you mentioned, but also in tripod mode which is great for indoor use.

I understand the need to talk yourself out of it if you don't want to spend the money, but this is hands down he best drone I've ever used. No regrets.
Does the rear sensor work in standard mode ? just like the front sensor ... , what about sport mode ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1