Have you upgraded from P4 to P4P?

Does the rear sensor work in standard mode ? just like the front sensor ... , what about sport mode ?
The rear sensors are exactly like the front ones. However, they only work in P and Atti. They can't react fast enough to work in Sport mode.

Does the rear sensor work in standard mode ? just like the front sensor ... , what about sport mode ?
The rear sensor works whenever the front sensor is working, no restrictions there. Collision avoidance is disabled in Sport Mode, as with all DJI models.

No ones saying it isn't fantastic, it is. Just not IMO a big upgrade from the P4. If your buying new? maybe a nod goes to this over the P4. But I and others maintain that the range is def. less. The battery time is around 24 min. down to a respectable 17-18% My guess is the added Mah offsets the increased weight of the P4P. The video lacks at anything over 30FPS. Why? Not enough bandwidth, thus the solution for the Inspire 2 to have an onboard SSD drive that transfers over 300mbs. Now that's cooking with gas! So, IMO, the P4 is the better bang for the buck if you already own one. The side sensors are useless on the P4P as most of us do not operate in beginner mode or at 5mph in tripod mode. The only real gain is the somewhat better camera for stills and mind you, the P4 doesn't suck. Lastly, let me tell you that the PLUS version is a waste as the 5.5 inch screen, although bright as heck, is still too small. They now crammed even MORE data on the screen and the newer 8 inch version would be way more practical. Oh, and one more point, how many of you are pro photographers that will be making money off your stills and video from the P4P?? If you, like many, are hobbyists, then stick with your P4 and maybe pick up the new battery as you MAY get closer to the 30 min claim that DJI wrongly made regarding the P4P due to less potential weight. Doing this RC heli/ plane stuff for 30 years taught me theres no free lunch. Weight offsets flight time. More MaH means more weight. Heres some food for thought. Want more flight time and power, make the P5 a 5 cell lipo and curb the output power. MUCH more efficient.

Reactions: TomCats
No ones saying it isn't fantastic, it is. Just not IMO a big upgrade from the P4. If your buying new? maybe a nod goes to this over the P4. But I and others maintain that the range is def. less. The battery time is around 24 min. down to a respectable 17-18% My guess is the added Mah offsets the increased weight of the P4P. The video lacks at anything over 30FPS. Why? Not enough bandwidth, thus the solution for the Inspire 2 to have an onboard SSD drive that transfers over 300mbs. Now that's cooking with gas! So, IMO, the P4 is the better bang for the buck if you already own one. The side sensors are useless on the P4P as most of us do not operate in beginner mode or at 5mph in tripod mode. The only real gain is the somewhat better camera for stills and mind you, the P4 doesn't suck. Lastly, let me tell you that the PLUS version is a waste as the 5.5 inch screen, although bright as heck, is still too small. They now crammed even MORE data on the screen and the newer 8 inch version would be way more practical. Oh, and one more point, how many of you are pro photographers that will be making money off your stills and video from the P4P?? If you, like many, are hobbyists, then stick with your P4 and maybe pick up the new battery as you MAY get closer to the 30 min claim that DJI wrongly made regarding the P4P due to less potential weight. Doing this RC heli/ plane stuff for 30 years taught me theres no free lunch. Weight offsets flight time. More MaH means more weight. Heres some food for thought. Want more flight time and power, make the P5 a 5 cell lipo and curb the output power. MUCH more efficient.
Good to hear Hidaven! I am one of those pro photogs that will be making money with mine for sure. So the camera and video is what it's all about with me pretty much!

Reactions: Dronefriend
The P4 is OK for recreational use but the P4P camera is in an entirely different league, both for video and stills. If image quality is any kind of priority at all then you want the P4P hands down, or P4P+ for semi-pro work where you don't want to be messing with smartphones.

Of course there's always the 'solution' of an Inspire 2 and 8.7" CrystalSky... at 4-5x the cost. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: KevMo Photog
So hidaven is saying that if you have lower needs and won't benefit from the pros of the P4P, then you won't benefit. Huh.. Who would have thought?

Of course, if you do not need the benefits, don't upgrade. Don't try to make it sound like the P4 has the same capabilities though. It doesn't. If you fly your Phantom for recording and shooting pictures, the P4P is a whole different beast.

If you fly because of the sheer fun, which it also is, then you should of course not upgrade.

To each his own. I've flown my P3P, and P4 with my iPhone 4.7"

I even bought an iPad and returned it because I found the extra space to be useless to me. For me the P4P+ is exactly what I need. Hell, it's bigger than I need.

So let me ask you this captain, I'm a pro photographer with pro equipment. My gear cost me over 25k easy. Using your rational, everyone should own fast glass and pro bodies because its better!?!??! Wrong. Your needs dictate what you own. You want the increased ability of the P4P camera and/ or are willing to pay the upcharge, go for it. But this thread is about the decision to upgrade to the newer drone and its benefits. The stills are a bit better and the video codec is a bit better and that's where it ends unless you need rear obstacle avoidance, Distance isn't there, battery increase isn't there, speed isn't there, so unless your a person who is making money off the newer camera and NEED it for the DR or lower light capability, then use the already fantastic P4 and save 500.00. If you don't have a P4 then id opt for the P4P by a small margin.

So hidaven is saying that if you have lower needs and won't benefit from the pros of the P4P, then you won't benefit. Huh.. Who would have thought?

Of course, if you do not need the benefits, don't upgrade. Don't try to make it sound like the P4 has the same capabilities though. It doesn't. If you fly your Phantom for recording and shooting pictures, the P4P is a whole different beast.

If you fly because of the sheer fun, which it also is, then you should of course not upgrade.

Plenty of us are not experiencing range issues.

I agree with you on the + model, total waste of $$ for a less flexible system. Especially if you own a modern Smartphone like an iPhone 7 plus. So many reasons to skip it. Stuck with Android, has to be tethered to live stream, can't use other apps (yet anyway). Forget about it IMO.

As far as your downplay of the camera, that's where I completely disagree. The P4P camera is in a different league. The sensor alone is worth the upgrade. I can flip a couple of settings and flying after sunset looks like mid afternoon. 4k 60FPS is amazing for slow motion, and works just fine with a class 3 card. 20MP stills are a massive upgrade over the 12MP, especially for cropping and printing. The ability to control focus is pretty cool, and I like the new manual settings features.

Another nice thing is that the P4P flies significantly faster than the P4 with the sensors turned on. The P4 felt gimped to me unless I was in sport, where I am actually having fun with the new model in the other modes.

Just my 2cents, I wouldn't go back. Your mileage may vary.

No, I'm NOT downplaying the new camera at all.......I like it. its the same sensor as in my Sony RX100 mk4. But this is about the worthwhile upgrade from the P4. The avg person can still get great video and stills from the P4. Unless your a pro, this stuff is only getting emailed and put on FB etc....lol. Again, is it worth the 500.00 or so for the person already with a P4? I don't think so UNLESS your a person deriving money from the expense, or just want the latest and greatest and money is no object. Same analogy as my using pro glass for my clients.

Last edited:
But make no mistake, the bigger sensor and better DR make for some improved captures for sure. I'm not sold on the video over 30fps as stated before. And just to clarify, I'm not stating "range issues" just stating that the range is no more than the P4 and for DJI to claim the P4P as an "improvement" in distance and flight time is misleading. I have had every DJI quad to date with an inspire 2 on pre order. Fan boy I am and think the company is peerless. Just have issues with excessive claims and marketing mumbo jumbo. You wanna see great stills and video? Wait till that I2 starts cranking out 4k60fps at 300+ mbps. : )

Reactions: lumy
No, I'm NOT downplaying the new camera at all.......I like it. its the same sensor as in my Sony RX100 mk4. But this is about the worthwhile upgrade from the P4. The avg person can still get great video and stills from the P4. Unless your a pro, this stuff is only getting emailed and put on FB etc....lol. Again, is it worth the 500.00 or so for the person already with a P4? I don't think so UNLESS your a person deriving money from the expense. Same analogy as my using pro glass for my clients.

Even a hobbyist benefits from the better low light capabilities and faster speed with the sensors turned on. Probably even more so than a pro. The photos and video colors look a lot better too, which even Facebook can take advantage of :). For me, it was worth it.

I am still waiting on mine to be delivered. I will let you know my thoughts once I get it.

The p4 is an awesome craft so I hope that the p4p will be just as good with a better camera.

No qualms there......If youre happy that's all that matters. I'll be looking forward to your stunning videos on FB in the near future : )

Even a hobbyist benefits from the better low light capabilities and faster speed with the sensors turned on. Probably even more so than a pro. The photos and video colors look a lot better too, which even Facebook can take advantage of :). For me, it was worth it.

Reactions: lumy
I'm a pro photographer
I and others maintain that the range is def. less.

So tell us... Why does a pro photographer care about range so much?

And there are more that state the range is better than the p4.

I can give you my opinion later this week. My p4p shipped today, upgrading from my P4 I bought two weeks ago.

So tell us... Why does a pro photographer care about range so much?

And there are more that state the range is better than the p4.
Because there are cases when your subject is out a little farther than out of sight. And to film the shot you need to see what you are shooting. So I am talking video feed and RC signal as well.

Because there are cases when your subject is out a little farther than out of sight. And to film the shot you need to see what you are shooting. So I am talking video feed and RC signal as well.

Over 3+ miles is out a little farther than out of site lol?

All the reputable people that I have heard from state that it has awesome distance btw. I wish mine would hurry up and get here.

Over 3+ miles is out a little farther than out of site lol?

All the reputable people that I have heard from state that it has awesome distance btw. I wish mine would hurry up and get here.
I've experienced no distance issues like I did on the P4. It is important to note the the FCC models has double the range of the CE version. Perhaps some of those who are complaining fall in this category.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31