Hate to add another crack thread

Anyone using the Infinity Hobby aluminum motor reinforcements, or compared to the UAVBits plastic ones? Thinking aluminum might be a good choice. When I get my replacement P3A I think my first step will be to install one or the other. Wouldn't have a warranty issue like some of the other fixes like epoxy, etc...

But I read DJI says its due to a batch problem :) , whereas you are pointing to a assembly line issue (manufacturing problem)
Did DJI say that themselves? ... or did someone on a forum say it?
DJI have always been very careful to say nothing.
All we can do is come up with theories from whatever evidence is available and there are lots of theories.
The idea that the cracks around motor mount screws are due to a bad batch of plastic or poor moulding seems to be the best fit with available evidence but I've never seen DJI admit or confirm anything.

Did DJI say that themselves? ... or did someone on a forum say it?
DJI have always been very careful to say nothing.
All we can do is come up with theories from whatever evidence is available and there are lots of theories.
The idea that the cracks around motor mount screws are due to a bad batch of plastic or poor moulding seems to be the best fit with available evidence but I've never seen DJI admit or confirm anything.
DJI is usually silent on such things, I had read it on one of the forums.

Anyone using the Infinity Hobby aluminum motor reinforcements, or compared to the UAVBits plastic ones? Thinking aluminum might be a good choice. When I get my replacement P3A I think my first step will be to install one or the other. Wouldn't have a warranty issue like some of the other fixes like epoxy, etc...
Both are nothing but fluff. Cracks have developed with and without reinforcement, further supporting the vibration theory. Dont waste your money!

Update. Bhphoto processed the return in 1 day and has already shipped out the replacement. Great service! New one arriving today!

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Update. Bhphoto processed the return in 1 day and has already shipped out the replacement. Great service! New one arriving today!
BHP and Amazon are known for good customer support.

This whole cracking thing is happening way to often . Sure lots of people don't have cracks but I'm sure there are Lots and lots that crack and
And the owners aren't on these forums. DJI has some cool features and they do cool things but I think they build a pretty crappy case for the $$$ they sell for. They need a whole new design. The shell on these things I'd bet doesn't cost them $10.00 to make..sure they fix it with another crappy case. I would take a phantom 3 with a few minutes less flight time if a better case was abit heavier. We spend a lot of dollars on these things and should be getting a better built machine.
Dale
Slow down on the less flight time talk Dale!

Just did this last week.

The people on the phone were great. Very helpful and timely. Sent it in for cracks -- 5 weeks old --.
The only thing that could be improved is the online system--it sucks--never was updated, always said "waiting for arrival", even after the drone was repaired. Never said checked in, in service department, repaired, move to shipping, shipped. When I called to check on it, the person on the phone told me the different stages, but the online systems never was updated, so I had to call all the time. It took two days for them to check the drone in, only a day and half to repair it and send it to the shipping department.

I'm very happy with DJI at this point, it has only been gone a week and it's on its way back, should get it Friday.

Don't know anything about the quality of repair -- will report on that later. I just sent the drone, nothing else. Sent it in the original box, inside another box per their instructions. DJI emailed me a Fedex shipping label.

It cost me nothing, just 10 dollars to box up the drone. I'm happy with DJi.....

Update: Should arrive to day (Wednesday) -- this whole process has taken one week -- including shipping time to/from AZ to CA.

Ok, I am so disappointed. New unit just out of box. Never flown. So all of the people saying this is not a problem are drinking the DJI KoolAid. I'm out. Will be returning for refund, not replacement. I'll wait till the problem is solved for real before I get back into the game.
image.jpeg

:eek:

A crack is a crack, its going to get worse the more and more you fly it.

Seems like DJI did not resolve the problem but your the first I have heard and seen with the new motors and shell getting cracks.

Christmas is around the corner and I'm dreading whats going to come after since any Tom, **** and Harry is going to be getting a P3 and not doing checks before and after a flight.

My advice would be get the P3 repaired or replaced.

Funny but true. :p

Ok, I am so disappointed. New unit just out of box. Never flown. So all of the people saying this is not a problem are drinking the DJI KoolAid. I'm out. Will be returning for refund, not replacement. I'll wait till the problem is solved for real before I get back into the game. View attachment 36585
As time passes, we see more and more shell crack cases. This means that the issue is not yet resolved and the theory that it was a batch problem is not correct. It is also true that every one is not facing it. Does any one know the true cause of the problem? DJI has design experts, is it possible to get a feedback from them and avoid guess work.

I have the uavbits on mine and no cracks after 100 plus flights. Not saying that's why mine hasn't cracked but it sure hasn't caused any cracks yet. Mine are on for the duration.

you can stop the crack or u can tray to get fix! but in both cases reenforsment your motor for a never crack longer
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1448520942.486445.jpg

I have the uavbits on mine and no cracks after 100 plus flights. Not saying that's why mine hasn't cracked but it sure hasn't caused any cracks yet. Mine are on for the duration.
I started believing that solutions like uabits have no harm, so why not to go for them.

Reactions: phantom13flyer
Ok, I am so disappointed. New unit just out of box. Never flown. View attachment 36585
I'm not a crack expert or physicist but to me, and given that this bird has yet to be flown, these look like they were caused by over torquing the motor screws at the factory. This almost seems worse than a bad batch of plastics because it's simply human error that made it through the QA process.
Although it's definitely not the norm, I can see how it could sour you on the whole P3 experience - especially after reading all the "crack talk" on the forums. But something to remember: an unhappy customer will shout from the rooftops to whoever will listen, while the happy customer is too busy flying! [emoji6]
And just for the record: my P3P had cracks after almost 3 hours of flight time. Sent it in to DJI, and after some communications issues and a few bumps, the bird was fixed and returned with a quick turnaround.
As someone who's been through it, it's way better to have a P3 then to not have one (obviously), and trust in the fact that if there is a crack, DJI will fix it.
I know it's not a perfect system (they shouldn't be cracking in the first place) but it's reality.
Good luck with whatever you decide. [emoji106]

No KoolAid here. Not saying it is or isn't a problem, just reporting my experience to date.

108 flights, 17hrs 32min, 220 miles, and no cracks on the unit I bought in May. The shell looks pristine.

Reactions: ScatSpeak
I guess you didn't read the thread. This is a brand new P3 with new motors and shell. Arrived with cracks. My previous one also was new motors and shell. Cracked within 2 weeks. So you don't know whAt you are talking about!
Your brand new P3 came with cracks? Is there no QA to inspect before packing or it cracked during transportation? I'm slowly coming to a conclusion that issues are mainly due to poor QA. Cause could be poor material, poor design or poor manufacturing processes but they are slipping through QA hands.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj