Hands on experience Phantom 3 - 4K plus Inside the hood Pictures

That is really interesting, (yes and what DBS said).

thanks for uploading them.

Awesome pictures moan! A nice tight fit of all the technology thats in there! Looking forwards receiving mine!

The escs are indeed a problem. If any esc fails then you need to replace the whole board...
But dji and dealers should give warrenty on a dead esc. 2 years in europe- 1 year in the US.

After I took the Phantom 3 apart put it back together and flew it past 400 feet for those who are worried about the ceiling height

DJI Pilot_20150419_121620.jpg

Nice peek. Thanks.

Yea looks like the FC/IMU, etc. is shock mounted, hard to tell from photos.

The GPS shield looks the same as the originals (pre-v3).

ESCs on the main PCB... bummer. This is reason enough to be very concerned.

For those who wondered how they could sell them so cheaply given it's capabilities, integration is one opportunity. Clearly there are cost cutting measures visible. All-in-one PCB, fewer connectors over-all, much less soldering for the assemblers (only 14 on main PCB- 12 for motors and 2 for battery., the LED modules are secured with 'welded' plastic studs, thus not 'intended' to be replaced, etc.

Still need to see the Light Bridge equipment (under main PCB???). It's connected to the main PCB via the OFDM plug. There's a 750mW Tx and 4 antennas under there (somewhere!).

Last edited:
Mohan - Thank you for taking the time to answer so many of our questions.

I am interested in ability to adjust the P3 yaw speed to ensure smooth smooth pans during arial videography. (I searched this, and could not find the topic addressed.)

Question: Does the P3 have exponential yaw, or other user definable yaw characteristics? (Separate parameter from yaw gain.)

Wow. That looks like it will be very expensive to change an ESC! :eek:

Let hope they have been redesigned so stalling a prop does not blow it.

Nice peek. Thanks.

Yea looks like the FC/IMU, etc. is shock mounted, hard to tell from photos.

The GPS shield looks the same as the originals (pre-v3).

ESCs on the main PCB... bummer. This is reason enough to be very concerned.

For those who wondered how they could sell them so cheaply given it's capabilities, integration is one opportunity. Clearly there are cost cutting measures visible. All-in-one PCB, fewer connectors over-all, much less soldering for the assemblers (only 14 on main PCB- 12 for motors and 2 for battery., the LED modules are secured with 'welded' plastic studs, thus not 'intended' to be replaced, etc.

Still need to see the Light Bridge equipment (under main PCB???). It's connected to the main PCB via the OFDM plug. There's a 750mW Tx and 4 antennas under there (somewhere!).

Valid observations.

And thanks for the autopsy Mohan!! Legend. I'll send you some P2 purple stickers to replace the gold ones you have :)

With the pics you posted, I've decided to do a foil mod to get 48 sats. Hopefully it will drop to 30 when I hit the record button.

Thanks for the images. Its looks like they will make a massive mark up on them. It may come back to bight them if they do fail and the hole board needs replaced under warranty. Then again I bet the will again make a massive mark up selling the full boards if they fail out of warranty. Lets hope they last.

The shell doesnt look any stonger to handle the little bit of extra power from the motors. The arm may even be a littel weaker since there is no extra surport from the ESC boards. Only time will tell.

Cant wait to get a go

So is the DJI Pilot app available now on the Play Store the one that is compatible with the P3 or will there be a new one coming out? Just ordered a P3P. Cheers

Thanks for that mohan :) That's what I've been waiting to see ! It does not look to be user friendly for the DIYer :(
Hopefully there will be no need for it to be :)

Reactions: td119 and Fplvert
the LED modules are secured with 'welded' plastic studs, thus not 'intended' to be replaced, etc.

You're right, but looks like you need to remove the motors and cut off those welds holding the LEDs in order to lift the main board enough to get under it. Then you would need a tiny drill and tiny screws to fasten the LEDs back down.

This is a closed eco-system product. Cost-reduced and further integrated. Very smart.

Definitely more for the photographer and less for the MR enthusiast.

Sure they'll be modders and mods, hacks and mash-ups, (in a good way) but they are not making it easier for the DIYer.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirkclod

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart