Hands on experience Phantom 3 - 4K plus Inside the hood Pictures

Certainly the lack of modular ESCs is less than ideal, but overall I think this is a huge win. The massive advancement in integration will reduce many other points of failure with far fewer connectors and solder points. At least they siliconed the ESC wiring. I just hope it doesn't lead to any thermal issues

Thanks for the Picts and videos Mohan!

I'm drooling over the camera with Lightbridge!

I thought I'd wait to see how DJI rolls this one out, but very tempted to pre-order.
image.jpg

Reactions: dirkclod
One of the red motor wires looks like its been caught where the screw body mounting for the shell is.
Hopefully the copper wire is still ok ?

Thanks for the Picts and videos Mohan!

I'm drooling over the camera with Lightbridge!

I thought I'd wait to see how DJI rolls this one out, but very tempted to pre-order.View attachment 17467

Go on Pre-order it ...:):) It is a real evolution of the technology into one package

Reactions: Fplvert
One of the red motor wires looks like its been caught where the screw body mounting for the shell is.
Hopefully the copper wire is still ok ?

Yes probably got kinked when it was assembled. It runs just fine.

Just wanted to pile on and say thanks Mohan for taking so many requests and answering questions and taking pictures. I'm so excited to have a unit I feel comfortable flying for a bit without constantly bringing it close to check on battery status, etc.

The other forum is up to 187 pages. I just spent an hour reading last 7 or so pages and they were all from yesterday and today!

Anyways, as this is my first quad, do you recommend getting prop balancer right away?
What about blade guards?
Any preferable sources?

I think with all the emails so many of us on here have had from dji with some stating auto gps setting for this and some saying no it is factory set, at this point i think this is still a mystery and something we have yet to find out. My personal thought on this is from the 2 replys i have had from dji stating that it is not auto gps set and is in fact set from factory according to there shipping destination. Mohans controller beeps twice when turned on, so if old phantom models are anything to go by then this suggest a FCC setting all so, then bare in mind his 3.7km distance all so suggesting maybe a FCC setting. Now please don't all jump down my throat for this comment, i probably more than most want this rumour of auto gps setting to be true, and all so be able to get the solid fpv mohan is getting if it indeed is auto set to CE, but you have got to admit this auto setting is looking more and more less likely to be true.

It is not set by GPS.
It makes no economic sense to do so.

I know you're having fun but it seems like you're really tore up about this.

My research suggests it may come down to the Tx antenna.

Im not having fun, if you read my posts you will see i am clearly trying to point out to many that our new p3s are not going to arrive with this alleged auto setting and will arrive factory pre set. i hope im wrong but you can bet your bottom dollar i wont be, like you say and yes i agree with you fully.

and yes a little tore up about it, even blade strike jumped on last night and said it was auto gps set and so many others have argued with me about this fact, but like you i don't believe it i really don't.

With all those FETs and power output from the ESCs, that is going to be a noisy board! Judging by the size of the inductor on there, that seems to be the case. This will be the first Phantom with no user serviceable parts inside.

Well, the motors would be an easy replacement with basic soldering skills.

However, there's some resourceful folks out there who may push a little harder but yep it seems the DIY-er is getting squeezed out especially if the boards aren't available to the GP.

Yes probably got kinked when it was assembled. It runs just fine.
The picture shows the outline of the screw mount assembly.

I would have a close look at this, just to be sure. A motor failure is catastrophic.

To be honest I'm seriously thinking of cancelling my pre order, the more i see and here about this new phantom the less i want it, Phantom 2 with go pro 4 might be the better option for me, just don't fancy running a quad with an iPad and living with said new limitations, P3 maybe and upgrade in one sense but a downgrade in another. Yes mind made up through common sense just going too cancel don't want too take the gamble will sit it out and see what the first wave of customers think.

DIY is dead on the P3, as shown by the pre-production photos Mohan was so kind to take for us. I'm happy, as I can't imagine a mod I'd need to do on this bird, it seems to have it all! Every single early review on range, performance, flight characteristics, and video are stellar. But it also worries me that its so DIY unfriendly.

On my P2V+, I had to change a motor, I had to swap a WiFi unit, perform a gimbal repair, insulate my GPS, and a few other tweeks. I think the comparison of the old VW beetle and a new car is valid. It doesn't seem like anyone will be repairing anything on this bird (maybe swapping a motor or gimbal). If its broke, its going to the dealer, for as long as that may take and as much as that may cost.

If, and its a BIG if, the P3 holds up and doesn't burn ESCs, overheat LB units, stall motors, fail gimbals, swell batteries, or just turn left and fly back to china with a bad GPS read, then I will DEFINATELY be buying one.

Actually, I want one so bad its not even funny. But the experience of being one of the first to own the P2V+ gives me pause. Waiting a while would have gotten me a brand new V3 unit on the cheap with all the kinks worked out. I love my P2V+, but I'm done being an electrical engineer... I just want to fly and get the "shot"!

I hope DJI delivers.

PS, I hope its FlytrexLive friendly, too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4