Hands on experience Phantom 3 - 4K plus Inside the hood Pictures

Maybe it's me but the details in the GoPro photos look superior when opened full size. The JPG engine of the P3 is certainly making the colors more vibrant out of the camera but I don't see the detail that the GoPro has.

Maybe it's me but the details in the GoPro photos look superior when opened full size. The JPG engine of the P3 is certainly making the colors more vibrant out of the camera but I don't see the detail that the GoPro has.
Maybe somebody else can explain the picture data but the P3 picture is 4000 x 2250 and the Gopro is 3840x2160. Also looking at the info the compression is significantly different but I don't know what that really means.

These are Mohan's side-by-side. My experience with GoPro stills is that the built-in noise reduction turns details to mush.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 11.20.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 11.20.23 AM.png
    674.6 KB · Views: 453
That's a good point. I don't know how DJI handles DNG (my experience is a P2 + GoPro). It's possible the DNG isn't RAW. It could be a JPG with additional info. That depends a lot on the sensor package of the camera. The P3 specs. page doesn't say RAW

The DNG files are RAW files by definition! The difference is that the DNG is a universal RAW file and is constructed out of the RAW file. The problem with RAW files is that every camera brand and model has his own specific proprietary format. The all use different algoritmes. You can experience this when you have bought a brand-new camera model. Changes are big that the raw convertors out there, even photoshop, the raw file not yet recognizes. They first has to implement those special algoritmes which belongs to that new RAWformat. In Photoshop you can always see which camera-raw-files are implemented.
Its the same problem with raw files from very old digital models. The modern raw convertors don't have those specific algoritmes anymore.

The DNG-format tries to be a solution for this problem. Its converts the different raw files to a universal set of algoritmes that always will be recognized by DNG-converters. Adobe photoshop and Lightroom has there DNG-convertors build in the raw convertors. The DNG format can contain, even as a RAW format, small JPG's for preview purposes.

I hope it is a little bit clear now.

I keep a close eye on the battery and wind, it's only now with the P3 coming out that I have lost my fear of flying over water.

daleeb, can I ask what about the P3 makes you less fearful about flying over water? I live on the coast and there is saltwater everywhere here and makes for some great video opportunities. I do not take my +v3 over water...

The DNG files are RAW files by definition!

As I said before, that's technically true but allows for wiggle room. For example you can take raw sensor data, sharpen it, saturate it, store it as a TIFF, append metadata and output it as a DNG and be compliant with the spec.

That's not the "raw" we all know and love (and hope for)

Thanks mohan, i think you mean the professional charger here.
Also 30mph? Gusts? Or was that really the wind? How did the P3 handle that? Wow thats quite some wind.

And maybe if you have time can you tell me how good signal penetration is? If you fly for like half a mile and then behind some trees...can it go through them at half a mile for a bit more or will the image distort and start lagging?

If there is signal loss on the video feed it just "goes", as in off.. as it's digital there is no telltale static feedback.. just freezes AFAIK.

@mohan - Good work man.. nice images. I can't see what DJI are fussing about - once they are for sale the innards will be spread all over the Internet anyway... even more so.

I have uploaded links to the DNG files for anybody who wants to download them. They are linked next to the pictures.

There is also a 360 video of the pictures in uncompressed mov format - approx 292mb download and it is about 40 seconds of footage. You will see the neighbourhood exactly as per photos but further 360 degrees so you can compare a 'still' vs a photo.

Hope this helps you guys.

As I said before, that's technically true but allows for wiggle room. For example you can take raw sensor data, sharpen it, saturate it, store it as a TIFF, append metadata and output it as a DNG and be compliant with the spec.

That's not the "raw" we all know and love (and hope for)

NO... they ares still the originalraw files but in a universal package. The contain al the original raw data. After all editing a DNG or RAW file is completely non-destructive!! You implement and save a set of commands but you cannot alter the original. That is one of the beauties of the raw/dng format.
By the way; you cannot change a raw/dng file into a Tiff or Jpg, you have to export them as a jpg/tiff whatever. The original raw/ dng still exist but with the embedded editing commands in a separate internal file. (sometimes an external file, like with nikon raw files)
You never can convert a Tiff or Jpg back into a raw/dng, because the properties are completely different.

Last edited:
Mohan: thanks a lot for the images so far. The gives a nice view of what to expect from this camera (if you have light enough) but the give also insight in the quality of the lens. Wow, sharp from corner to corner!! That was completely different with my PV2+. I always had to crop.
Off course I'm still curious for the low light (800iso and more) imagery. And the long exposure images. Is the gimbal/copter as stable as the Inspire. 8Seconds exposures and tack sharp. Unbelievable!

With all due respect but you give more and detailed and well organized information than our official DJI-guru's.

So the DNG spec (http://wwwimages.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/products/photoshop/pdfs/dng_spec_1.4.0.0.pdf) says: "DNG is an extension of TIFF 6.0 and is compatible with the TIFF-EP standard."

The TIFF 6.0 standard (http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/tiff/TIFF6.pdf) allows for the use of JPEG compression. This standard, by the way, was finalized in 1992.

All I'm saying is that it's possible to have a processed, slightly glorified .tiff with some metadata, call it a DNG, and be within spec. Not all DNGs contain raw censor data. The DNG spec allows for a tiff (using jpeg compression) in a wrapper. It does not necessarily mean pure censor data.

Man, I can't believe how much some of you pilots know about the video/pic side! I am learning a lot just reading your posts so thanks! ...and thanks for posting links so some of us can learn more! Now, if I could just figure out which editor to buy....

So the DNG spec (http://wwwimages.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/products/photoshop/pdfs/dng_spec_1.4.0.0.pdf) says: "DNG is an extension of TIFF 6.0 and is compatible with the TIFF-EP standard."

The TIFF 6.0 standard (http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/tiff/TIFF6.pdf) allows for the use of JPEG compression. This standard, by the way, was finalized in 1992.

All I'm saying is that it's possible to have a processed, slightly glorified .tiff with some metadata, call it a DNG, and be within spec. Not all DNGs contain raw censor data. The DNG spec allows for a tiff (using jpeg compression) in a wrapper. It does not necessarily mean pure censor data.

Thanks for your replies.
I will study your comments tonight.

One comment:
"The DNG spec allows for a tiff (using jpeg compression) in a wrapper. It does not necessarily mean pure censor data."
What I ment in this respect that the edited DNG/RAW still contains all the original sensordata but these are not the only data. There is a preview tiff or jpg embedded, metadata, editing commands and so on.

I have looked rather quickly at the differences between the P3 and GoPRo jpg's from Mohan.

In my opinion the P3 jpg's are more mature, a more final product. They are consistent in colour, contrast and sharpness form edge to edge, from corner to corner.

The GoPro's needs extra colour and contrast processing. There is a haze over the originals and in the upper corners you see heavy magenta casts. Probably due to lens anomalies.
The images are not sharp near the edges and smeared out a little bit.

My vote goes to......

Its amazing how conversations head off in different directions isn't it ;-) TIFF-EP is not the same as the TIFF-REV 6 standard. TIFF-EP can be used as a RAW file format and is the basis for DNG, but TIFF REV 6 is not a related and cannot be used in the same way.

But the key thing is the DNG out off the P3 camera is a RAW file format that allows for a far greater level of manipulation than a JPG that has everything baked in at time of capture. If you have something capable of manipulating DNGs then just know that is the way to go, its the format that prosumer and professional photographers use.

I know nothing about the camera side of things so going to learn a lot going back and reading now which is great, to show how little i know on this subject im going to ask a dumb question, can you snap photos with the button on the controller while recoding a video. cheers

I know nothing about the camera side of things so going to learn a lot going back and reading now which is great, to show how little i know on this subject im going to ask a dumb question, can you snap photos with the button on the controller while recoding a video. cheers
You can only have it in one mode - video or photo

Easy enough to switch but it will interrupt recording

Nvidia shield Mirror mode... done this on the Inspire1 but picture to show it works ok

DJI_0037.JPG

Does anybody know if the view on the nvidia is more full screen than the iPad 2, from videos I have seen on you tube with the iPad 2 with the inspire there seems to be more of a black bar at the top and bottom giving less view. If that makes sense. Mohan have you ever tried it with a iPad mini 2.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4