Hands on experience Phantom 3 - 4K plus Inside the hood Pictures

DNG files are not compressed.
The 5MB file size will relate to jpg files
DNG files for the P3 would probably be approx 25MB

Correct. I will switch to raw / DNG and compare differences

You can do whatever you like with them but as they come out of the camera, they are not compressed and are much bigger than the jpg version of the same image.

OK to the P3 out - switched to J&R mode

Takes JPEG and raw same time
5000k vs 17000k

my own impression JPEG quality is the most economical - happy to email a raw file

I really cannot see x3 improvement in quality - but then I am no pro photographer

5000k vs 17000k
I really cannot see x3 improvement in quality - but then I am no pro photographer

You will see the very big differences as soon you have made a wrong WB or have overexposed it or you have to do heavy color corrections.
With a DNG/Raw files you can choose your WB in post and can correct overexposed files up to almost 1 stop.
In severe underexposed area's DNG/Raw files contains far more color-information then JPG's.

By the way there is nothing wrong with JPG's. they can be as good as DNG's, they only have less latitude.

Last edited:
Reactions: JayB

5000k vs 17000k

my own impression JPEG quality is the most economical - happy to email a raw file

When you shoot in JPEG the camera’s internal software will take the information off the sensor and quickly process it before saving it. Some colour is lost as is some of the resolution.

A DNG or Raw file is not actually an image file but information data from the sensor that you process on your computer rather than in the camera to generate an image file. It will require special software to view, though this software is easy to get. Shooting in Raw will give you much more control over how your image looks and even be able to correct several sins you may have committed when you took the photograph, such as the exposure.

I viewed the DNG file on photoshop. The resolution did not appear to be that degraded on the JPEG file. I understand the value of having uncompressed data as it is a lossy compression.

I viewed the DNG file on photoshop. The resolution did not appear to be that degraded on the JPEG file. I understand the value of having uncompressed data as it is a lossy compression.

Due to the size of the JPG-files you can conclude that this camera delivers very high quality JPG-files and in normal circumstances the loss of resolution will be nihil.

Due to the size of the JPG-files...
I'd hesitate to draw any conclusions from file size. In-camera JPG compression is tricky business. The more detail in a photo the more difficult it is to compress well. Most aerial shots of the ground have a lot of detail in them. That makes them one of the most difficult things to compress well.

I'm very interested in the dng. I bet there's noticeable difference in detail sharpness.

I'd hesitate to draw any conclusions from file size. In-camera JPG compression is tricky business. The more detail in a photo the more difficult it is to compress well. Most aerial shots of the ground have a lot of detail in them. That makes them one of the most difficult things to compress well.

Yes I know but the uncomplicated answer is that the higher the size the better the JPG-quality.
5000K compared to the 12000K sensor size means a very high quality file. 80% but likely more.

[/QUOTE]I'm very interested in the dng. I bet there's noticeable difference in detail sharpness.[/QUOTE]
I'm sorry to say but with a well exposed P3 picture you will not see a difference in sharpness details.
But in post you can handle the contrasts and colors much better. And with this camera you will often be confronted with strong contrasts due to the very limited dynamic range of the sensor. Which is normal for a camera with such a small sensorsize.

Last edited:
Yes I know but the uncomplicated answer is that the higher the size the better the JPG-quality. 5000K compared to the 12000K sensor size means a very high quality file. 80% but likely more.

That's a good point. I don't know how DJI handles DNG (my experience is a P2 + GoPro). It's possible the DNG isn't RAW. It could be a JPG with additional info. That depends a lot on the sensor package of the camera. The P3 specs. page doesn't say RAW

Does anyone know if the camera is capable of 60mbps at 30/24 fps modes? This is sort of along the same lines as JPG compression. In theory the higher bit rate at lower frame rate means sharper video because each frame is less compressed.

JPEG Images - I have the equivalent DNG images but cannot upload to this. Will have to put a dropbox link later for those who want to compare

DJI Phantom 3 - Jpeg

DJI_0025.JPG

DNG attachment https://www.dropbox.com/s/wmfe5b3u4s9zj3e/DJI_0025.DNG?dl=0

DJI_0024.JPG

DNG attachment https://www.dropbox.com/s/t6vkm1mbzat8fzy/DJI_0024.DNG?dl=0

DJI_0021.JPG

DNG attachment https://www.dropbox.com/s/5jjj2eqh03jar43/DJI_0021.DNG?dl=0

Go Pro Hero 4 Silver with 5.4mm lens - standard settings
G0012395.JPG

G0012399.JPG
G0012401.JPG

Uncompressed Video in Mov format

https://www.dropbox.com/s/az4qmcsu61xx9ol/DJI_0026.MOV?dl=0

Last edited:
Well, that just about answers that JPG compression question. Seems to be as good as you can hope for... maybe there isn't a lot of sharpness left to recover from the DNG.

Thanks Mohan!

That's a good point. I don't know how DJI handles DNG (my experience is a P2 + GoPro). It's possible the DNG isn't RAW. It could be a JPG with additional info. That depends a lot on the sensor package of the camera. The P3 specs. page doesn't say RAW

Does anyone know if the camera is capable of 60mbps at 30/24 fps modes? This is sort of along the same lines as JPG compression. In theory the higher bit rate at lower frame rate means sharper video because each frame is less compressed.

As far as I am aware DNG is Adobes version of Raw, I didn't think it was a generic term for various formats, but I might be wrong.

With regard to mbps, I have been following and reading a lot of information on the forums and my understanding is at 4k 30fps you get 60mbps and at 1080p 60fps you get around 40 to 45 mbps. This is from memory but I'm sure it came from screen shots posted by the pre-release testers.

As far as I am aware DNG is Adobes version of Raw, I didn't think it was a generic term for various formats, but I might be wrong.

Yes, it is designed to be a common RAW format with a long shelf life. Lightroom and Photoshop can be used to convert the various RAW formats from camera vendors such as Canons CR2 and Sonys ARW to DNG for greater compatibility. It was a good move of DJI to support it out of the camera.

In most cases because the file is untouched it will often appear less saturated and look less sharp when first viewed than JPG as colour, white balance, saturation and sharpness needs to be added in post processing either automatically by lightroom on import or manually using sliders.

Hi Mohan can test the hdmi out with nivida shield tablet to a goggles or another display ? Thanks for the effort

Kind of. There's wiggle room with DNG such that you can have a DNG and have a relatively processed image. The actual image in a DNG can be (and usually is) really a TIFF with a bunch of meta data. DNG allows for raw sensor data, which is what most ARW/NEF/CR2 to DNG converters do. It's probably asking too much for raw sensor data from a slightly-smaller than 1/2" sensor. It's also possible that DJI doesn't have access to raw data from the sensor. It may be preprocessed by the camera's chipset.

After seeing Mohan's examples, I'm not sure you're going to get much better images out of the DNG than the JPG save maybe some color accuracy if that's important.

W
Hi Mohan can test the hdmi out with nivida shield tablet to a goggles or another display ? Thanks for the effort

Will do

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31