H3-3d ... Why does ti need to plug into the goPro

Reaction score
I am having trouble figuring out the functionality provided by plugging the h3-3d into the gopro. I thought the function of the gimbal was to keep the camera level and steady. It seams that all the electronis for doing that would be in the gimbal...not in the camera. What happens if I don't plug the gimbal into the gopro...what does this prevent the gimbal from doing.

I ask because my h3-2d went belly-up and had to buy the 3d. While waiting to receive, I found that I could not do fpv the same way I was because 3d needs the USB port on the side of the camera. I know I can buy the add-on connector to free up the usb, but it really bugs me that logically, I can't see why the gimbal needs that connection at all...is to simply to power the camera to extend battery time?

Pull the 30 pin rear bus hero port out from the 2D and transplant into the 3D.
I heard GoPro didn't like DJI using the hero port due to some patents and that's why they went to the universally accepted micro USB port.
GoPro took an extra step and disabled the rear port in the Gopro 4's and this is has pushed DJI into making there own camera.
And now there are rumours that gorpo will have there own multirotor.

Thank you...I will try that. But my question remains: why is this connection even required. There must be some function that requires this, but I don't get it. Since the camera doesn't seem to have anything to do with leveling or orientation, and the gimbal doesn't seem to have anything to do with a/v, why is this electrical connection even needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm interested in this too, and I'm thinking that it does not need to be connected at all. I think the drone will power it if you want, and it may be necessary if you want to run FPV, but otherwise I don't think it's needed at all. I don't use it, and haven't had any issues.

I wondered this also! I have only just purchased my P2 with H3-3D and have not used it yet as I am still learning to fly.
I wonder if it can be used to power the GoPro while not having to have the GoPro battery inserted there for reducing the payload?

I am not using the gimbal a/v connection at all. I have fpv transmitter plugged into the Gopro without going through the phantom and it is performing perfectly. I may try going through the gimbal at some later date (if I find the proper cables), but at this point it would just be for curiosity.

I wondered this also! I have only just purchased my P2 with H3-3D and have not used it yet as I am still learning to fly.
I wonder if it can be used to power the GoPro while not having to have the GoPro battery inserted there for reducing the payload?

You cannot use it without the battery in the GoPro. The balance of the gimbal is precisely weighted for the GoPro with the battery. I tried and the gimbal buzzed and was constantly trying to level the camera. So I just designated a battery to use with the P2 as it was probably going to take a dive being charged all the time it is in use.

Maybe it gets powered from the GoPro? I've been wondering this too..no idea.

Plugging the USB into the GoPro does two things 1) it powers the GP 2) it sends the video signal from the GP to the TX from there to FPV monitor. Now all of you know what USB connection is used for.

So then, I take it as optional. If I plug the immersion tx directly into the GP, I can get both benefits .... power and vid out .... without worrying with the flimsy h3-3d connector, right? I thought that was the case but wanted to make sure there wasn't some hidden function that I would be missing out on.

So then, I take it as optional. If I plug the immersion tx directly into the GP, I can get both benefits .... power and vid out .... without worrying with the flimsy h3-3d connector, right? I thought that was the case but wanted to make sure there wasn't some hidden function that I would be missing out on.

Your making an assumption so don't blame anyone but yourself if things go wrong.

Yes of course noone is to blame. The whole point of posting this question is to ask people to give me any pertinent info on which to base an assumption. This question has been out here's do elsewhere for quite a while now I can only assume that I have heard all I can. Time to make a decision I guess.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20