H265 on Mac?

H.265 plays back at about 40% speed on my Win 10 PC when using Windows Media Player, but within PP 2017 I can usually playback at full resolution without huge problems. It will sometimes start to stutter, but if I pause for a second or two then resume it's usually OK. When rendering with the generally modest effects I tend to use the render time will tend to be 1.5 to 2.2 times the length of the video -- the longer times due to higher bitrate in the rendered file.

I do hope everyone gets on board with H.265 soon and it's a shame M$ is still out to lunch with native playback at this day and age.

Brian
I have Win10 and the Movies & TV app plays h265 perfectly for me. I was severely disappointed that the Mac didn't cover it nor did VLC play it worth a **** but that Movie app was like butter.

I have Win10 and the Movies & TV app plays h265 perfectly for me. I was severely disappointed that the Mac didn't cover it nor did VLC play it worth a **** but that Movie app was like butter.

Movies & TV app is just about the same as Media Player -- H.265 plays slower than real speed and is a bit stuttery.

Brian

When I am trying to import h.265 from the P4P to CC Premier Pro on Mac, I am getting 'codec missing or unavailable' any work arounds?

Cheers

When I am trying to import h.265 from the P4P to CC Premier Pro on Mac, I am getting 'codec missing or unavailable' any work arounds?

Cheers
You need the latest 2017 Version of PP CC...
I create full resolution H264 Proxies to edit the footage in PP CC

Cheers
I'd do some searching on their forums or contact support. When I first tried editing some h265 video Premier Pro balked and said I needed a codec. Then it prompted me to ok the download which I had to do for both Premier and the Media Encoder.

I am running Win10 but I can't see them leaving MacOS in the cold on this.

I really dnt see the diference with h264 and h265. Tested night and day videos compared them but no really difference. Pls someone tell me wt i should look for

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: gr8pics
I really dnt see the diference with h264 and h265. Tested night and day videos compared them but no really difference. Pls someone tell me wt i should look for

Look for noise and ghosting, especially in shadow areas, and pixelation in fast moving/passing objects. I think you might need to put them side by side to see any difference, but i suspect there isnt much, only on paper :)

Reactions: F3honda4me
Run windows on bootcamp. Install premiere pro cc and enjoy. For added speed when editing, create proxies.

Use H265 @ 4K, 30FPS. Slow down your gimbal motion and enjoy.

Don't settle for anything but your best.

There is noticeable difference if there is a lot of motion on screen, whether a fast pan, or something like a river. I notice a difference in the final output in those cases.

Cheers

The H.265 MOV from Phantom 4 Pro is beyond the compatiblity of Premiere Pro CC. What you can do is to convert P4P H.265 to ProRes or MPEG-2 for editing in Premiere Pro CC easily. With Brorsoft Video Converter for Mac the situation can be solved!! This software is amazing: friendly interface, simplicity, incredible speed and quality a/v convertion!! A great cheap quality soft! I'm really satisfied!!!

The H.265 MOV from Phantom 4 Pro is beyond the compatiblity of Premiere Pro CC. What you can do is to convert P4P H.265 to ProRes or MPEG-2 for editing in Premiere Pro CC easily. With Brorsoft Video Converter for Mac the situation can be solved!! This software is amazing: friendly interface, simplicity, incredible speed and quality a/v convertion!! A great cheap quality soft! I'm really satisfied!!!
Skip that "brorsoft". Save the file as MP4 instead of MOV from the Phantom and you are all set.

No, just set the video to MP4 and PP will read it just fine as is. Doing an interim conversion with ProRes will only reduce quality by introducing another 'generation' of lossy compression.

Brian

H.265 plays back at about 40% speed on my Win 10 PC when using Windows Media Player, but within PP 2017 I can usually playback at full resolution without huge problems. It will sometimes start to stutter, but if I pause for a second or two then resume it's usually OK. When rendering with the generally modest effects I tend to use the render time will tend to be 1.5 to 2.2 times the length of the video -- the longer times due to higher bitrate in the rendered file.

I do hope everyone gets on board with H.265 soon and it's a shame M$ is still out to lunch with native playback at this day and age.

Brian
The key to smooth h.265 playback under Windows is simply full hardware acceleration support of your GPU.
You need either Nvidia 10xx series, Radeon R9, or SandyLake CPU (integrated Intel GPU supports it).

If you have one or more of these components, playback is 100% smooth in any playback software. If it isn't, likely some software codec pack mishap.

I upgraded step by step earlier this year and went from stutter slide show to butter.

Last edited:
The key to smooth h.265 playback under Windows is simply full hardware acceleration support of your GPU.
You need either Nvidia 10xx series, Radeon R9, or SandyLake CPU (integrated Intel GPU supports it).

If you have one or more of these components, playback is 100% smooth in any playback software. If it isn't, likely some software codec pack mishap.

I upgraded step by step earlier this year and went from stutter slide show to butter.

Yeah, my editing PC, built just over a year ago, was made with near top of the line components back then but not quite enough to handle H.265 playback without stuttering and playing at 40% real speed. My GPU, the 980 Ti, is not fully H.265 compliant and neither is my I7-5820K CPU. Interestingly, when I import a 4K H.265 video into Premiere Pro it will playback within PP at normal speed but will stutter at clip boundaries most of the time. Oh well, I guess the next PC I build will be fully 4K and H.265 ready, but but then we'll be working with 6K or 8K and be back to struggling.

Brian

One new feature of these new systems is the ability to record in H.265. The big advantage of H.265 is that there is about 50% more data being saved over H.264 while still maintaining about the same file size.

While H.265 is preserving more data and thus, can deliever better image quality, none of the top editors (Adobe Premeire Pro / Apple Final Cut X) can edit H.265 files well. To get either package to smoothly edit the H.265 files, we need to transcode (convert) them to something more usable. For our goal of maintaining maximum image quality while providing the smoothest editing experience, we will want to transcode the source files into ProRes 422 LT. While there are higher quality versions of ProRes, they will only cause unneccesary larger files and ProRes 422 LT can handle just slightly more data than we are generating, thus making it a great fit for our use.

Reactions: ravedog
I really like the proxy workflow feature in Premiere Pro. I ingest the H.265 files and have them converted automatically to ProRes 422 proxies. With a single button, you can toggle between the original file and the proxy. You can do all of your editing with the proxies then switch back to the full-res version at the end.

One new feature of these new systems is the ability to record in H.265. The big advantage of H.265 is that there is about 50% more data being saved over H.264 while still maintaining about the same file size.

While H.265 is preserving more data and thus, can deliever better image quality, none of the top editors (Adobe Premeire Pro / Apple Final Cut X) can edit H.265 files well. To get either package to smoothly edit the H.265 files, we need to transcode (convert) them to something more usable. For our goal of maintaining maximum image quality while providing the smoothest editing experience, we will want to transcode the source files into ProRes 422 LT. While there are higher quality versions of ProRes, they will only cause unneccesary larger files and ProRes 422 LT can handle just slightly more data than we are generating, thus making it a great fit for our use.

H.265 and FCP - Convert H.265 to ProRes for Final Cut Pro X/7/6

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT