{God is Good, all the time}"follow me" is garbage! (dji is not garbage)

Cell towers? What's the scoop there?

I've got a T-Mobile tower beside my neighborhood and fly around and over it without any issue. I use Antenna Search to find out the height of local towers and set my RTH above them. The website will show all towers and antennas in a 4 mile radius of your address here in the states. The T-Mobile is 265 feet above ground level and my RTH is set at 350 feet.

Reactions: Zeprider and Oso
7d4be4fc8dcd1fa5d9049eae55c1f9f0.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

**** that's a long thread - but I read it all.

The OP's continued refusals to post his logs from the incident is proof positive of "Pilot Error". It's like refusing to provide a breath sample when you're obviously drunk. Everybody knows that it's an admission of guilt.

This could have been cleared up very easily if the OP had submitted logs as requested. But he ignored the first dozen requests for them - instead choosing to argue based on his "I was there and you weren't" statement.

I don't believe he knew what CSC was prior to this thread. At least three people have posted links to the simple instructions required for obtaining and posting the logs - and two others offered to help step him through the process - and yet the OP ignored them at first and subsequently claimed that it wasn't working. He was also unable to upload anything to HealthyDrones even though he "did everything right" with that process as well. I guess that makes HealthyDrones junk as well?

How can we believe he did "everything correctly" with his drone when he can't seem to figure out how to upload logs by following a simple step by step article that many, many other people - including other newbs - have successfully followed in other threads?

Maybe he's not lying. Maybe he genuinely *thinks* he did everything correctly. But his attempts to remove the battery from the drone proves that he does not KNOW what the correct things to do are.

Page 20 of my manual states that you should "NEVER insert or remove a battery when it is turned on". (I guess his might say something different - but I thought they were all the same....).

Page 17 states "Stand clear of the motors and DO NOT touch the propellers while they are spinning".

Page 17 ALSO states "To avoid injury, STAND CLEAR of and DO NOT touch propellers or motors when they are spinning." It must be pretty important if they mentioned it twice.

Even the quick start guide contains the statement "Once spinning, the rotating propellers can be dangerous."

Hey OP! When you buy coffee at McDonald's - he liquid inside the cup is hot! So do be careful please!

Bottom line. OP is not as incompetent as he's pretending to be. He knows what a zip file is and a dat file and he could have uploaded the logs if he had wanted to - but he does not want to, because like the rest of us - he knows it was operator error(s) that put him in this predicament. He is in the midst of attempting to perpetrate warranty fraud and therefore does not want to see the knowledgeable folks here point out exactly what all of his mistakes were by interpreting the data stored in the log file.

I have to admit - I was originally prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt - until he ignored the second request for logs and started calling people who were trying to help "trolls". There's a very easy way to prove him right or wrong. But instead of posting the logs - he continues to argue and "practice" telling his made-up version of events. He's probably told them so many times now that he actually believes his version of what happened.

DJI is going to have access to the logs and they're going to use the data in the logs to make their determination - they're not interested in hearing "your version" of what happened even though you were there and they were not! If it was your fault (and we all know that it was) - they are NOT going to fix this under warranty. They're also not responsible for you sticking your arm into the spinning blades. If I were you, I'd refrain from telling them that part of the story. They're not going to sympathize with you - they're going to take that as further proof that you did not read the instructions and you did not know what you were doing.

I don't know if it's common practice or if I just got lucky - but when I sent mine in for repair after accidentally hitting a power distribution line - I admitted responsibility and politely asked if it was possible to repair my device with refurbished parts or any other possible way to reduce my repair bill - and I was happy to see a 20% discount on the total repair cost! I can't imagine them wanting to do anything nice for you if you're trying to play them for fools and defraud them.

Final verdict... GUILTY of Pilot Error! And also guilty of being not a very nice person. You can start to fix that by apologizing to those that you incorrectly called "trolls".

We were all new once, and I'll bet were all guilty of operator error at one time or another. If you had posted your exact same story - perhaps with a less confrontational headline - and then promptly uploaded log files for analysis - most of us would have been ready to sympathize and commiserate with you whether the logs showed it was your fault or a defect. But you didn't. You're trying to play us for fools - and you're spreading a very negative "opinion" of the Phantom 3 Follow Mode that you are not prepared to back up. Is that slander or libel? I dunno. But what I do know is that it's not right. Man up dude. Every once in a while something actually *is* your fault. Own it and learn from it. Cheers.

What is so insane about this? The quad was behaving exactly as designed. It simply tried to maintain GPS position, while you tried to pull it from that position.

You flew into a telephone wire, and now you also want to hit DJI with a warranty claim? I don't think they will lose any sleep if they don't get anymore of your business.

I've got a T-Mobile tower beside my neighborhood and fly around and over it without any issue. I use Antenna Search to find out the height of local towers and set my RTH above them. The website will show all towers and antennas in a 4 mile radius of your address here in the states. The T-Mobile is 265 feet above ground level and my RTH is set at 350 feet.
Thanks for the feedback and the link. That is super helpful!

-Zep

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I don't want to hijack your thread, but the same thing just happened to me last night. No power lines, but ground it dive bombed stopped its follow me flight quick. Short story.... follow-me flight #1 worked great. follow-me flight #2 10 mins later, Quad turned 180 and flew at about a 45 degree angle at full speed into the ground. Now I have a bent case. Lesson learned don't use Follow-Me

Reactions: Romans109
I don't want to hijack your thread, but the same thing just happened to me last night. No power lines, but ground it dive bombed stopped its follow me flight quick. Short story.... follow-me flight #1 worked great. follow-me flight #2 10 mins later, Quad turned 180 and flew at about a 45 degree angle at full speed into the ground. Now I have a bent case. Lesson learned don't use Follow-Me

To add to my post, I would gladly upload my .dat file when I get home, as I would like to know what happened. If anyone wants me to start a new thread I will. However I truly believe my particular incident was not an obvious pilot error. That being said if there was an error it was not due to taking my time and reading everything regarding Follow-me. So reply to this and let me know if someone would want to take a look at mine.

To add to my post, I would gladly upload my .dat file when I get home, as I would like to know what happened. If anyone wants me to start a new thread I will. However I truly believe my particular incident was not an obvious pilot error. That being said if there was an error it was not due to taking my time and reading everything regarding Follow-me. So reply to this and let me know if someone would want to take a look at mine.
I was just getting ready to suggest taking a look at your .DAT. I was also considering starting a new thread devoted to FollowMe mode fly-aways.

Reactions: AndersGB
sorry to click like but i know what it's like, did you send it in to dji or you gonna send it to a third party or fix it yourself. you can post your flight records if you want just be warned some people will criticize you some will be helpful and actually know how to read and interpret flight logs, others will (try)to pretend and when they don't understand they might just try to look kool and blame you. i have tried to provide mine but they won't believe me when i say i can't get it to work even when i have provided proof on posts 98,98,100,102, and 103. then you have those who don't read [ALL]the comments/replies and then jumping to their own conclusion so just a heads up.

were the motors running full blast when it finally hit the ground if so how did you shut them off?

Lol well funny story the drone hit so hard that the battery flew out. The props stopped at that point, Lol.

I haven't decided whether to send it in yet, any opinions? I did order a new shell just cause I'm impatient, but I'm wondering if I should still send it in.

@BudWalker - sorry to hear about your accident. Nobody is going to accuse you of pilot error if you're willing to upload the logs for a review. Someone on this forum should be able to determine exactly what caused your issue. You may want to wait until after they analyze your logs before you make your decision as to whether or not to send it in. DJI uses the logs to determine what happened - so they're going to see the same thing that we see on the forum. If the logs don't point to obvious pilot error, then I think it's definitely worth sending it in for DJI's analysis. Even if you're repair is not fully covered under warranty - it may still be affordable enough to have it done.

There's a big difference between your story and Roman's. On your very first post, you offered to provide logs. Romans109 ignored requests for logs for almost 100 posts just screaming "believe me believe me" before he even acknowledged the people offering to look at them and then mysteriously was unable to provide them. I think your experience here in the forum will be completely different than his was - and I do hope that the logs show a clear malfunction so you can get your unit repaired under warranty.

I've just started playing with the "follow" function using the AutoPilot software. My first 2 flights have gone perfectly - but if there is a possibility of malfunction, I'd like to know what causes it to make sure I'm not vulnerable.

One thing you should be aware of is that the DJI Go follow mode doesn't adjust the altitude as you travel up and down hills. Everything is relative to where you powered on the drone. Here's one (unlikely) scenario that could cause an accident similar to the one you described: You power up the drone and set it to follow you at 60ft and then get in the car and test it briefly. It's working - so you land it, get in the car without powering off the unit and drive to a park a few minutes away but actually at a new elevation (with respect to sea level). Your new location is actually 100ft higher than where you first powered on the drone. You think your altitude is 0 but because you didn't power cycle the drone - ground level for you now is 100ft in the mind of the drone and the 60ft "follow" height is now -40ft from your new ground level!!! If you took off from this new location and engaged follow mode - the drone would try to fly to 60ft above your original location which is 40ft BELOW your current location (which would be underground).

I'm not suggesting that this is what you did - bit with all the recent talk of "follow mode" accidents, I thought this was a good place to explain why it's important to be aware of changes in altitude. Especially when driving, sometimes the changes happen so gradually that they are not obvious. Anyhow - the scenario I laid out above is one way to explain how/why a drone could decide to dive bomb the ground at a 45 degree angle right after follow mode is engaged.

One of the great features of the Autopilot software is that it can be told to be aware of elevation changes and to keep the drone 60ft above the targets CURRENT location - not just his STARTING location. So far, I think purchasing Autopilot is the best 25 bucks I've ever spent! If you haven't looked at it - I recommend you check out their tutorials on YouTube and see if it might be a good investment for the type of flying you do. Saying that it is a "feature rich" platform would be an understatement.

In any case - for anyone else experimenting with follow mode - I suggest you start with the drone WELL above the height you want to follow at - and as you first engage the follow function, have your finger on the PAF switch and at the first sign that something is not right - flip it into P mode immediately. That should cause it to stop and hover.

@BudWalker - sorry to hear about your accident. Nobody is going to accuse you of pilot error if you're willing to upload the logs for a review. Someone on this forum should be able to determine exactly what caused your issue. You may want to wait until after they analyze your logs before you make your decision as to whether or not to send it in. DJI uses the logs to determine what happened - so they're going to see the same thing that we see on the forum. If the logs don't point to obvious pilot error, then I think it's definitely worth sending it in for DJI's analysis. Even if you're repair is not fully covered under warranty - it may still be affordable enough to have it done.

There's a big difference between your story and Roman's. On your very first post, you offered to provide logs. Romans109 ignored requests for logs for almost 100 posts just screaming "believe me believe me" before he even acknowledged the people offering to look at them and then mysteriously was unable to provide them. I think your experience here in the forum will be completely different than his was - and I do hope that the logs show a clear malfunction so you can get your unit repaired under warranty.

I've just started playing with the "follow" function using the AutoPilot software. My first 2 flights have gone perfectly - but if there is a possibility of malfunction, I'd like to know what causes it to make sure I'm not vulnerable.

One thing you should be aware of is that the DJI Go follow mode doesn't adjust the altitude as you travel up and down hills. Everything is relative to where you powered on the drone. Here's one (unlikely) scenario that could cause an accident similar to the one you described: You power up the drone and set it to follow you at 60ft and then get in the car and test it briefly. It's working - so you land it, get in the car without powering off the unit and drive to a park a few minutes away but actually at a new elevation (with respect to sea level). Your new location is actually 100ft higher than where you first powered on the drone. You think your altitude is 0 but because you didn't power cycle the drone - ground level for you now is 100ft in the mind of the drone and the 60ft "follow" height is now -40ft from your new ground level!!! If you took off from this new location and engaged follow mode - the drone would try to fly to 60ft above your original location which is 40ft BELOW your current location (which would be underground).

I'm not suggesting that this is what you did - bit with all the recent talk of "follow mode" accidents, I thought this was a good place to explain why it's important to be aware of changes in altitude. Especially when driving, sometimes the changes happen so gradually that they are not obvious. Anyhow - the scenario I laid out above is one way to explain how/why a drone could decide to dive bomb the ground at a 45 degree angle right after follow mode is engaged.

One of the great features of the Autopilot software is that it can be told to be aware of elevation changes and to keep the drone 60ft above the targets CURRENT location - not just his STARTING location. So far, I think purchasing Autopilot is the best 25 bucks I've ever spent! If you haven't looked at it - I recommend you check out their tutorials on YouTube and see if it might be a good investment for the type of flying you do. Saying that it is a "feature rich" platform would be an understatement.

In any case - for anyone else experimenting with follow mode - I suggest you start with the drone WELL above the height you want to follow at - and as you first engage the follow function, have your finger on the PAF switch and at the first sign that something is not right - flip it into P mode immediately. That should cause it to stop and hover.

I appreciate your feedback. I actually have purchased autopilot as well just haven't had as much flight time with it yet. I was testing the follow-me in the dji app only because I had just done the latest firmware updates and while I was doing them I was reading about the IOC modes so I decided to do some testing.

As far as the altitude idea, yeah I was in the same spot both times and double checked my height prior to fully engaging the follow mode the second time. I've been going through all of it in my head, watching the video, and looking over the data and really if it was my error I want to know. After $800 investment I've been very careful to make sure I take my time with everything. Lol versus my younger days where I may have been a little more careless.

The weird thing I noticed right before it went kamikaze was that the drone kept trying to turn 180 degrees away from me.

I agree as well regarding the PAF switch. Anyone out there testing new modes like this should def. keep there finger on the PAF switch. Had I thought about it in the 5sec I had I would have tried it to save it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z