{God is Good, all the time}"follow me" is garbage! (dji is not garbage)

.... I was also considering starting a new thread devoted to FollowMe mode fly-aways.
I think that is a great idea with quite a few reported fly-aways with Follow Me mode, including mine. And I think you have helped many of us with your excellent analysing.

I have sent my findings, and my crashed P3A, to DJI but I haven't heard anything yet.

I haven't decided whether to send it in yet, any opinions? I did order a new shell just cause I'm impatient, but I'm wondering if I should still send it in.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
d2c4da9fb2249184e8c22a30e02e35f3.jpg
first off i thank God for always being there for me and i do appreciate dji a lot more as you can see i sent the P3A in the same day i crashed which is also same day i created this topic... they looked at it on monday and boom! wednesday they shipped it back after repairing it free of charge. so there you go. also thanks to all those who tried to help. on that note i would send it in.
once again Thank you LoRd Jesus! and thank you dji. God bless.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: peterepeat69
d2c4da9fb2249184e8c22a30e02e35f3.jpg
first off i thank God for always being there for me and i do appreciate dji a lot more as you can see i sent the P3A in the same day i crashed which is also same day i created this topic... they looked at it on monday and boom! wednesday they shipped it back after repairing it free of charge. so there you go. also thanks to all those who tried to help. on that note i would send it in.
once again Thank you LoRd Jesus! and thank you dji. God bless.

Good news... stay away from power lines and keep your finger close the P-A-F switch.... :)

Reactions: Romans109
Congrats. What components did they replace and did they tell you what caused the problem?

i cant seem to find that info but i told them exactly what i stated originally here they didn't say any details other than they were gonna cover is pretty much all.

Well I have to say I'm impressed with dji now, gives me confidence as my own advanced model is on its way

Reactions: Romans109
Dropbox - FLY017.DAT Here's a link to my DAT if anyone else would also like to analyze it.

I have been looking at your .DAT log this morning (although I'm at work and really shouldn't!). I can see what you mean and will try to analyse the data to determine what happened, but it will probably be later this evening before I can get a good look.

they did when i told them it wouldn't shut off

So it was your fault for crashing it into the pole[emoji24][emoji23] but since the motors wouldn't turn off once in the ground DJI decided to fix it for you?

I still think you may be better off with Air Hogz.

eb10dea5984bd31af8ef7d346d7937ff.jpg

Last edited:
So it was your fault for crashing it into the pole[emoji24][emoji23] but since the motors wouldn't turn off once in the ground DJI decided to fix it for you?

I still think you may be better off with Air Hogz.

eb10dea5984bd31af8ef7d346d7937ff.jpg
here's what you should do, go outside find some rocks, and kick em around you're wasting your time here on this thread

That's not why they did it. They are like TV's Doctor House. They know that "everybody lies" and so they ignore everybody's words across the board.... And they have to take that stance because so many people do lie - or get mixed up. Some do it intentionally - others do it unintentionally - but DJI can't afford to give anybody the benefit of the doubt - especially when there are logs available that definitely do NOT lie!

So they may have listened to your story out of courtesy - but your words had no effect on their decision. They looked through the logs that you sent and they either found clear evidence that your incident was caused by a product defect - or they found a lack of evidence pointing to "pilot error". Either way - you win. So congratulations. But they didn't make any kind of judgement call about your trustworthiness. Their decisions was based on the logs.

I also think it would be appropriate to change the subject of your message. If they fixed your drone die free - they obviously discovered a defect which caused your crash. That doesn't mean that "Follow Me" is garbage. If anything, it might mean that DJI quality control is garbage - but either way - it turns out that "Follow Me" was not responsible for your accident so the subject of your post is now misleading people that scan the messages. Do the responsible thing and change it.

If "Follow Me" really was responsible for your crash - they would have released a new firmware that disables it or fixes the part of it that is broken rather than continue to let people use it and then fix their drones for free.

Once you get your unit returned to you - it would still be useful to have you pull the log file off of it and lost it here for the forum members to review. It may point to a defect that we could/should all be on the lookout for. I assume you've figured out how to do it now? You have to power up the drone, and select an advanced option in DJI Go (follow the link that others have sent you multiple times), then you simply connect the USB port on the front of your drone to a computer and it will show up as an extra disk drive with a bunch of FLYxxxx.dat files. Find the one with the date/time stamp that matches the date/time of your incident and copy it off of the drone to your computer....then upload it here! Easy-peasy!

That's not why they did it. They are like TV's Doctor House. They know that "everybody lies" and so they ignore everybody's words across the board.... And they have to take that stance because so many people do lie - or get mixed up. Some do it intentionally - others do it unintentionally - but DJI can't afford to give anybody the benefit of the doubt - especially when there are logs available that definitely do NOT lie!

So they may have listened to your story out of courtesy - but your words had no effect on their decision. They looked through the logs that you sent and they either found clear evidence that your incident was caused by a product defect - or they found a lack of evidence pointing to "pilot error". Either way - you win. So congratulations. But they didn't make any kind of judgement call about your trustworthiness. Their decisions was based on the logs.

I also think it would be appropriate to change the subject of your message. If they fixed your drone die free - they obviously discovered a defect which caused your crash. That doesn't mean that "Follow Me" is garbage. If anything, it might mean that DJI quality control is garbage - but either way - it turns out that "Follow Me" was not responsible for your accident so the subject of your post is now misleading people that scan the messages. Do the responsible thing and change it.

If "Follow Me" really was responsible for your crash - they would have released a new firmware that disables it or fixes the part of it that is broken rather than continue to let people use it and then fix their drones for free.

Once you get your unit returned to you - it would still be useful to have you pull the log file off of it and lost it here for the forum members to review. It may point to a defect that we could/should all be on the lookout for. I assume you've figured out how to do it now? You have to power up the drone, and select an advanced option in DJI Go (follow the link that others have sent you multiple times), then you simply connect the USB port on the front of your drone to a computer and it will show up as an extra disk drive with a bunch of FLYxxxx.dat files. Find the one with the date/time stamp that matches the date/time of your incident and copy it off of the drone to your computer....then upload it here! Easy-peasy!
A lot of assumptions and opinion here. There does seem to be significant issues with follow me mode, in particular the aircraft recording an incorrect GPS location for the controller position. Policy may be if follow mode was active at time of incident accept repair as warrant. I don't know, I expect you don't either. Perhaps someone who does might enlighten us. The lesson here is there was an opportunity for the OP to avoid the outcome. Stay away from obstacles and switch out of F when things don't proceed as expected.

A lot of assumptions and opinion here. There does seem to be significant issues with follow me mode, in particular the aircraft recording an incorrect GPS location for the controller position. Policy may be if follow mode was active at time of incident accept repair as warrant. I don't know, I expect you don't either. Perhaps someone who does might enlighten us. The lesson here is there was an opportunity for the OP to avoid the outcome. Stay away from obstacles and switch out of F when things don't proceed as expected.

Assumptions yes - but reasonable ones I think. The subject line says that follow mode is garbage - but there's actually no proof in this thread that follow mode itself was responsible for his crash. I think that the fact that DJI repaired it for free points more to a defect with one of his sensors rather than an issue specific to their "follow" implementation....

But that's why I also reminded the OP to submit the logs to the forum when he gets the drone back from DJI (if they didn't wipe the memory). Someone here can analyze the logs and tell us all what REALLY happened or perhaps which sensor went on the fritz...

It's obvious that the OP did many things wrong - but it seems like most of his mistakes came AFTER the drone malfunctioned. I agree that if he knew a little more and reacted a little faster, he may have been able to prevent the crash and for sure he could've avoided the injury to his arm - but I for one would like to know what caused the drone to take off "off course" to begin with.

i asked dji what the flight data showed from the motherboard when they had it in their possession and they knew because I told them that the craft hit a power/utility line, they said there was no indication of it hitting anything, wether you believe me or not i don't care. and yes they replaced the entire unit so no more flight data.

Last edited:
Assumptions yes - but reasonable ones I think. The subject line says that follow mode is garbage - but there's actually no proof in this thread that follow mode itself was responsible for his crash. I think that the fact that DJI repaired it for free points more to a defect with one of his sensors rather than an issue specific to their "follow" implementation....

But that's why I also reminded the OP to submit the logs to the forum when he gets the drone back from DJI (if they didn't wipe the memory). Someone here can analyze the logs and tell us all what REALLY happened or perhaps which sensor went on the fritz...

It's obvious that the OP did many things wrong - but it seems like most of his mistakes came AFTER the drone malfunctioned. I agree that if he knew a little more and reacted a little faster, he may have been able to prevent the crash and for sure he could've avoided the injury to his arm - but I for one would like to know what caused the drone to take off "off course" to begin with.
It seems no logs will be available. There are several other threads on this forum that suggest there are issues with follow mode if that is your area of interest.

Reactions: Balabonov

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT