{God is Good, all the time}"follow me" is garbage! (dji is not garbage)

What worries me is that the OP will be in possession of another copter soon. Hide the kids!
73ad195e867ba25152c1b6a757b6053b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

After reading all 13 pages, here's my take away. Don't use follow me mode. Half the people on this forum are judgmental know it all's. The OP got lucky. Hope your arm is ok man. Good luck and happy flying.

God bless you too sir have a good day

Okay - so.... First of all you didn't really get back a repaired unit, right? You said they replaced it. Just wondering because in the video you kind of imply that it's been repaired but in a previous post you say it was replaced.

Anyhow - if you read the manual, you'll see the explanation for the RTH behaviour you witnessed.

If the drone is within 20m of the home point when you activate RTH, the drone will simply land immediately.

Reactions: Romans109
Okay - so.... First of all you didn't really get back a repaired unit, right? You said they replaced it. Just wondering because in the video you kind of imply that it's been repaired but in a previous post you say it was replaced.

Anyhow - if you read the manual, you'll see the explanation for the RTH behaviour you witnessed.

If the drone is within 20m of the home point when you activate RTH, the drone will simply land immediately.

"...What he said"

Also (in the spirit of helping) I would recommend that you find another area to fly, even for a test. The video's not very clear, but I can see some low hanging cables, close in trees and possibly homes...all bad for a successful flight. One more thing...it appears you took off from a concrete surface, not good. Most concrete contains metal re-bar which could possible wreck your compass calibration.

the told me they replaced everything excluding the one sensor so i thought it was basically a replaced unit and thanks for helping me understand rth more

"...What he said"

Also (in the spirit of helping) I would recommend that you find another area to fly, even for a test. The video's not very clear, but I can see some low hanging cables, close in trees and possibly homes...all bad for a successful flight. One more thing...it appears you took off from a concrete surface, not good. Most concrete contains metal re-bar which could possible wreck your compass calibration.
yea i know rebar and what not i thought about that too but over all it was an ok flight you're probly right i'll try to get a better video.

i asked dji what the flight data showed from the motherboard when they had it in their possession and they knew because I told them that the craft hit a power/utility line, they said there was no indication of it hitting anything, wether you believe me or not i don't care. and yes they replaced the entire unit so no more flight data.

So what's up here? This post above states that they replaced the entire unit but I just watched your first video in which you say they definitely did NOT replace the entire unit. You also said that someone helped you try to get the logs off of your iPad - but the logs people were asking for are not stored on the iPad - they're stored on the drone itself.

There's a micro-USB plug on the front of the aircraft. There's also one on the Gimbal - but that's not the one we care about. On the very front of your molded plastic shell, there is a rubber flap that covers/hides the port.

Before you connect any cables to it, you need to run the DJI Go app and connect to the aircraft normally. Then:
1. Click the icon in the very top right corner to bring up your settings.

2. Click the top icon in settings. From the screen that appears, scroll down and click on "Advanced Settings".
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1459630627.582116.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1459630666.535692.jpg

3. On the Advanced Settings page, scroll down and click on "Enter flight data mode". Click OK on the popup that will appear, then wait 30 seconds for the next popup that says "You have successfully entered flight data mode".
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1459630761.013999.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1459630782.467525.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1459630796.253185.jpg

4. At this point, you can turn off your iPhone/iPad and your Remote Control, but leave the Drone powered on and plug it into your computer. Make sure you plug into the micro-USB port under the rubber flap on the front of the drone.

5. After a few seconds, a new drive will appear in Windows Explorer or you may get a popup asking if you want to open a folder to view files. Really, at this point, your drone is nothing more than a USB flash drive.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1459630828.688904.jpg

6. Use Windows Explorer to view the files on the drive which will be named FLY###.DAT. Find the ones with the date/time stamp matching the time of your incident and copy it to your computers desktop!

7. Disconnect and power off the drone.

8. Upload the file here!

You don't know if the files from the incident exist or not unless you follow this procedure and look. Even if they are gone - you should see files from the test flights that you've made today - but I'd bet there's a pretty good chance your .dat file from the incident is still there!!!

Why don't you humour us and have a look? It will be good practice for the next time something goes wrong and you need to submit the .dat file to us. If the file from the incident is gone - go ahead and upload the one from your little test flight today and maybe someone will take a look to see if they can see any messed up sensor readings.

I've attached photos of every step so it should be pretty easy to follow.

the told me they replaced everything excluding the one sensor so i thought it was basically a replaced unit and thanks for helping me understand rth more

Oh! I keep forgetting to tell you this - but get some damned prop guards!!! This short video will show you why you need them!

Reactions: grottoli
So what's up here? This post above states that they replaced the entire unit but I just watched your first video in which you say they definitely did NOT replace the entire unit. You also said that someone helped you try to get the logs off of your iPad - but the logs people were asking for are not stored on the iPad - they're stored on the drone itself.

There's a micro-USB plug on the front of the aircraft. There's also one on the Gimbal - but that's not the one we care about. On the very front of your molded plastic shell, there is a rubber flap that covers/hides the port.

Before you connect any cables to it, you need to run the DJI Go app and connect to the aircraft normally. Then:
1. Click the icon in the very top right corner to bring up your settings.

2. Click the top icon in settings. From the screen that appears, scroll down and click on "Advanced Settings".
View attachment 49327
View attachment 49328

3. On the Advanced Settings page, scroll down and click on "Enter flight data mode". Click OK on the popup that will appear, then wait 30 seconds for the next popup that says "You have successfully entered flight data mode".
View attachment 49329
View attachment 49330
View attachment 49331

4. At this point, you can turn off your iPhone/iPad and your Remote Control, but leave the Drone powered on and plug it into your computer. Make sure you plug into the micro-USB port under the rubber flap on the front of the drone.

5. After a few seconds, a new drive will appear in Windows Explorer or you may get a popup asking if you want to open a folder to view files. Really, at this point, your drone is nothing more than a USB flash drive.
View attachment 49332

6. Use Windows Explorer to view the files on the drive which will be named FLY###.DAT. Find the ones with the date/time stamp matching the time of your incident and copy it to your computers desktop!

7. Disconnect and power off the drone.

8. Upload the file here!

You don't know if the files from the incident exist or not unless you follow this procedure and look. Even if they are gone - you should see files from the test flights that you've made today - but I'd bet there's a pretty good chance your .dat file from the incident is still there!!!

Why don't you humour us and have a look? It will be good practice for the next time something goes wrong and you need to submit the .dat file to us. If the file from the incident is gone - go ahead and upload the one from your little test flight today and maybe someone will take a look to see if they can see any messed up sensor readings.

I've attached photos of every step so it should be pretty easy to follow.
im just relaying what dji told me about the unit and what they concluded from flight data when they had it in their possession and they told me that the drone did NOT hit anything it's all here in the thread some where and i know about the micro usb ports im not that stupid lol but ive never done any of the flight log retrieval but i'll try out those steps and see what i can do i may not be as quick to respond to that so please have patience in the mean time, yes i did mention budwalker in the video (he's commented on this thread) he tried to help me over the phone with that because at the time i did not have the drone and he said that they were on my ipad labeled flight logs i sent them to him and he said for some reason they could not be found, you can pm him if you don't believe me, so if indeed dji did not replace the motherboard then yes they should still contain that data. so just bear with me cause i don't want spend all my time here on this forum but i will do my best seeing what i can do for that, im not trying to avoid anything just saying i also have a life and a 1 year old and my pregnant wife, you understand what im saying.... but anymore accusations from anyone about anything from here on out i will just move on cause this thread is a freakin monster and im honestly tired of all the crap i keep reading over and over and what not, these are not excuses, just the truth.

Since the .DAT wasn't available I wanted @Romans109 to retrieve the .txt. Here's why. There are two types of FollowMe mode fly-aways. 1. the tablet doesn't have GPS data that is accurate enough. The data required to determine this exists in the .txt file. 2. The tablet has the correct GPS data but somewhere between the tablet and the FollowMe mode P3 navigation module that data gets corrupted. To show this conclusively both the .txt and the .DAT are required.

However, type 2 FollowMe mode fly-aways also have the property that the data corruption always occurs (and the fly-away begins) exactly when FollowMe mode is initiated. From @Romans109's description I speculated this is what had happened. Since the .txt contains velocity and flyCState I was hoping that it could be shown that the P3 sped away on it's fly-away at the moment flyCState=25 (i.e. FollowMe mode). Although any conclusion that it was a type 2 FollowMe mode fly-away would be circumstantial it would be compelling never the less.

I talked to @Romans109 on the phone to try and get the .txt. We did the whole bit. Start from connecting the P3 to the PC, downloading the directory. etc. The only thing he had in the DJIFlightRecords directory was the file indicating the flight records that have been deleted.

I'm sure there will be those who think the missing DJI FlightRecords are the result of some fraud ridden attempt at a conspiracy to hide the truth. I don't think so; I was on the phone with the guy and he just doesn't care enough to pull off something like that.

One last thing. If the P3 had it's main board replaced then the internal SD card is new and will not have the .DAT from the incident.

Since the .DAT wasn't available I wanted @Romans109 to retrieve the .txt. Here's why. There are two types of FollowMe mode fly-aways. 1. the tablet doesn't have GPS data that is accurate enough. The data required to determine this exists in the .txt file. 2. The tablet has the correct GPS data but somewhere between the tablet and the FollowMe mode P3 navigation module that data gets corrupted. To show this conclusively both the .txt and the .DAT are required.

However, type 2 FollowMe mode fly-aways also have the property that the data corruption always occurs (and the fly-away begins) exactly when FollowMe mode is initiated. From @Romans109's description I speculated this is what had happened. Since the .txt contains velocity and flyCState I was hoping that it could be shown that the P3 sped away on it's fly-away at the moment flyCState=25 (i.e. FollowMe mode). Although any conclusion that it was a type 2 FollowMe mode fly-away would be circumstantial it would be compelling never the less.

I talked to @Romans109 on the phone to try and get the .txt. We did the whole bit. Start from connecting the P3 to the PC, downloading the directory. etc. The only thing he had in the DJIFlightRecords directory was the file indicating the flight records that have been deleted.

I'm sure there will be those who think the missing DJI FlightRecords are the result of some fraud ridden attempt at a conspiracy to hide the truth. I don't think so; I was on the phone with the guy and he just doesn't care enough to pull off something like that.

One last thing. If the P3 had it's main board replaced then the internal SD card is new and will not have the .DAT from the incident.

Fair enough. I wasn't aware that he still had the P3 in his possession when you were trying to help him.

What would cause the .txt files to go missing? Is it possible he was using a different device (phone or tablet) when the incident occurred? Sometimes I use my iPad and other times I use the iPhone. What is used to populate the "FlightRecord" within the DJI app - and is it possible the data was saved to the cloud and can be brought back with a simple synchronization ?

Last edited:
yea i know rebar and what not i thought about that too but over all it was an ok flight you're probly right i'll try to get a better video.

Cool...some of us are trying to help cause you're right...everyone was where you are at one time. Just tune out the noise.

6357843d4f72cc4b9e1993d2338beb50.jpg
new dji prop! 4x thrust output!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

yea party celebrating the new dij 8 bladed prop

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members