{God is Good, all the time}"follow me" is garbage! (dji is not garbage)

Reaction score
my phantom advanced decided to take off today while in "follow me" mode,
hits a telephone line flips over and hits the ground at full speed like a turtle on its back
i couldn't shut the motors off via the RC so i ran over to the quad copter and grabbed one of the arms to pull the battery out to kill the power ....
in the process it chewed my right forearm up pretty good.
i hope dji can help me out cause if they say "sorry, we can't help you" i probably won't be doing any business with them anymore.
it doesn't look like much but my arm is not only cut up pretty good but it's swollen all because the motors went beyond full power in thrust or at least that's the way it seemed because when i grabbed it, it was trying to fly away while i was trying to hold on to pull the battery, insane!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

97f476b585bf5c79a607466c54843685.jpg
fecb7ccd10abedcb8fa6bc10a1836ca3.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yikes! That arm looks like its painful! Are those props stipped or sheered off?

Do you have an idea what the "root cause" of this might have been?

You know - Standard questions - Did you Calibrate the Compass before flight- check the props for looseness, etc

What kind of device was being used for follow me? GPS embeded in device? Did it start to follow you initially just fine? How many bars of signal, warning messages?

I think it would be necessary to provide a flight log to DJI unless I am mistaken.

I am now becoming apprehensive about using the "follow me" mode.

Reactions: cyrusthevirus
Did you try a csc to kill the motors? Tell us more about the circumstances preceeding the collision. Where you using the DJI GO app? What tabket/phone are you using? Did you try and switch out of F mode when it seemed your bird was flying as expected? There has been some recent ducussions here where the phantom took off in an unexpected direction when follow initiated, seemed to be the operator gps position was inncr reported.

Could be worse...an arm holding to a fly away drone over a school at recces...

Reactions: Cgland
it was trying to fly away while i was trying to hold on to pull the battery, insane!

What is so insane about this? The quad was behaving exactly as designed. It simply tried to maintain GPS position, while you tried to pull it from that position.

i hope dji can help me out cause if they say "sorry, we can't help you" i probably won't be doing any business with them anymore.

You flew into a telephone wire, and now you also want to hit DJI with a warranty claim? I don't think they will lose any sleep if they don't get anymore of your business.

Yikes! That arm looks like its painful! Are those props stipped or sheered off?

Do you have an idea what the "root cause" of this might have been?

You know - Standard questions - Did you Calibrate the Compass before flight- check the props for looseness, etc

What kind of device was being used for follow me? GPS embeded in device? Did it start to follow you initially just fine? How many bars of signal, warning messages?

I think it would be necessary to provide a flight log to DJI unless I am mistaken.

I am now becoming apprehensive about using the "follow me" mode.
everything was done and checked properly iOS was used signal was strong and dji will check the logs on the mother board they will determine if this will be covered

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Did you try a csc to kill the motors? Tell us more about the circumstances preceeding the collision. Where you using the DJI GO app? What tabket/phone are you using? Did you try and switch out of F mode when it seemed your bird was flying as expected? There has been some recent ducussions here where the phantom took off in an unexpected direction when follow initiated, seemed to be the operator gps position was inncr reported.
i did everything correctly compass calibration ect ect i even landed before switching modes
iOS was used

What is so insane about this? The quad was behaving exactly as designed. It simply tried to maintain GPS position, while you tried to pull it from that position.

You flew into a telephone wire, and now you also want to hit DJI with a warranty claim? I don't think they will lose any sleep if they don't get anymore of your business.
i was in "p" mode then landed and then switched to "f" mode then the copter started raise right into a power line it then flipped upside down full throttle into the ground, after i could not shut down the motors via the rc i had to grab it and pull the battery to kill it while doing so it had so much thrust as if it was on steroids it almost flew out of my hand that's how my arm got chewed up... what do you want from me? read the post.

Suicide by drone....something new for the books.
it doesn't look so bad but it did hurt my fore arm is swollen tho lol i wonder what the rpm's were because it seemed higher than normal

With The Birds said:
Did you try a csc to kill the motors.

i did everything correctly compass calibration ect ect i even landed before switching modes
iOS was used

Do you know what CSC means? Hint:- It has nothing to do with calibration.

Reactions: Ralph M
I mean how is this a DJI issue? There were power lines right? You shouldn't fly around power lines. My first P3A hit a tree branch and did the same thing.

I didn't even try because it was pilot error really.

Do you know what CSC means? Hint:- It has nothing to do with calibration.
i tried it im telling you nothing worked, after all it's a piece of technology... and technology doesn't always work... that being said any one else want to think that dji has a "perfect" drone?

I'm not saying it was "perfect" I'm just saying, it sounds like you launched under power lines and it went higher than you thought? Do you have the flight logs?

If you do the CSC both sticks down and in or down and out, the motors will shut off if you were still connected to the bird

Reactions: Tom Gauger
I mean how is this a DJI issue? There were power lines right? You shouldn't fly around power lines. My first P3A hit a tree branch and did the same thing.

I didn't even try because it was pilot error really.

this will give you a better picture of where i was flying before the drone malfunctioned ...make sure you have HD enabled on fb ....you know how to do that im guessing
Joe Garcia - gotta get used to flying like this | Facebook

It hit power lines. There's the cause of the issue. Not a fly away

Battery level of the controller?
Seems like if it lost connection (after hitting an assumed powered wire , grounding issues aside)
Or interference with proximity of power line may have initated at RTH?
You will get 30% off a new phantom if you send it in along with your valuable controller.
Fight and ***** long enough and they may offer 50%
Driving up the cost for everyone else.

Reactions: bobomet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20