GIVEAWAY: Phantom 4 (winner = lalvar40)

I personally would like to see a few things...
I envision the program split in to 4 main sections.
Each section would have individual focused lessons.

1. Basic operations and product safety
2. Advanced movement / Automation features
3. Camera settings and operation. Basic / Advanced
4. Advanced Photography

The first half would focus on operating the Phantom itself and operating it safely.
It should focus on the ins and outs of the DJI Go app and how to operate the bird and the basics of physically controlling the bird the proper way.
This should also cover the interface and what everything means. From the radar, to the map, to the basic camera functions, to the settings menus.
For example: Initial proper setup. i.e. Properly putting on the props, properly charging and storing the batteries, properly using the RC and the antennas, calibrations, warning messages.
Go over basic basic auto features like auto take off and auto land along with their pros / cons.
Go over different scenarios that could take place like loss of GPS, controlling in ATTI mode, Manual mode etc.
Next go over experience on things that could go wrong and things that are a concern but not as worrisome as they seem on paper.
Cover things that are contained in the manual but presented from an experienced user that has not lost touch with their first flights.
Next it should go over first flight and starter DJI Go and aircraft settings focusing on the urgent must need settings like RTH and limits etc.

After all of the main basics of flight safety and control of the aircraft the next step would be to learn the advanced options of the DJI Go app.
Go go over flight logs, various flight modes, and how to use the App to start to automate the path and start to get into the photography side of things but from a movement stand point and not from a camera stand point. Demonstrate and explain the proper and suggested way to use each mode.

Next it would be the focus on photography from the camera side of things. This should touch on many different things regarding photography and the camera side of things.
It should cover the recording options and resolutions along with their pros and cons.
It should go over the usage of ND filters and any physical camera addons along with their pros and cons.
It should go over various different advanced settings under different lighting conditions. i.e. ISO settings, Shutter speeds, White Balance, Exposure etc.

Lastly would be the advanced photography portion...
This would sort of combine the advanced photography movement you learned in the previous advanced movement section with the things you learned in the camera settings section.
This section would each you many different professional methods to create great amazing professional shots and cinematic videos.

Im sure I will come back and tweak this post but this is the rough draft coming from someone that has had little sleep. :p
We just had to put our cat to sleep yesterday and I work 10 hour days some times.
On a positive note I did some P3P flying therapy to help the healing process. It actually did help a little, no joke.

I think training needs to be provided in three phases, In-Flight, Post-Processing and Maintenance.

In-Flight
- providing a better understanding of possible errors that show up
- proper flight rules/regulations and etiquette
- how to maneuver or use SOS features efficiently
- How to use the advance settings such as those for picture/video settings and provide examples like when to use what
- provide a better understanding of the use of ND, Gradient and polarizer filters and how to use to get great images
- help determine what your flight 'style' is... as in architecture, nature, people, event type things, or just random

Post-Processing
- How to effectively process the pictures/video
- What you can use as a 'measure' to ensure accurate and visually appealing pictures are captured
- Creating HDR and Panoramic pictures in Post
- How to create appealing short videos capturing the whole flight rather than just uploading the entire flight onto youtube

Maintenance
- Where i think most programs lack
- What signs symptoms to look for to know something needs maintenance
- How to balance and check if props are balanced, holding up well or need replacement
- other aspects such as gimbal, frame or battery and how to properly maintain
- accessories, a lot of people just buy it without understanding if there is benefits, like prop guards, gimbal guards, filters, landing gear extensions etc.
- having a comprehensive list of what accessories are available and pro/con of each and also in conjunction with other accessories. i.e. if you have a landing gear guard and extension do you really need a gimbal guard? if you're flying outdoors 90% of the time are prop guards a good investment?

As a side note, I volunteer at AMC Center in Chicago at the corner of 45th and south state street in the south side of Chicago. I'm on the board there so if you were looking for a facility to hold actual in person classes we could have that arranged for you and our parking lot is about 2 blocks across and a block wide so enough private space to do basic flight maneuvers so people could actually get hands on practice as well. If i do win the Phantom 4 it will be donated to AMC Center to help photograph and take videos of events, sports and people who come to the center. Also hopefully to incite intellectual curiosity of the youth to pursue technology and engineering as a career.

I would like to see best practices explained, Yes, the pros and the more experienced will fine tune settings for each flight/photo/video, but I am new to this drone thing, as would most people interested in your training series. I would love to tap into the incredible knowledge base and cut the learning curve down considerably.

Best practices for:

Flight settings
photo settings/shots
video settings/shots
video editing (tools, techniques, etc)

Just my $0.02

What needs to happen is training how to recover when GPS fails, when compass goes wonky, when the safeguards fail and you've got nothing but your own skill as a pilot to bring her home safely. Any moron can fly a Phantom with 15+ satellites but what happens when you're all alone?

I'm giving away a brand new Phantom 4 to one lucky Phantom Pilots member!

View attachment 45630

Interested? Here's what you need to do:
  • I'm putting together a Phantom training program (for the Phantom 3 & 4) and am interested in hearing what you would like to see included in that program. You could tell me what you would like to learn, how you would like it to be presented, etc. I'm basically just looking for suggestions related to what you would expect/want to see. There are no wrong answers :)

• Only your first post will be considered. Feel free to edit your first post if you would like to add any thoughts to it.

• DJI starts shipping the Phantom 4 on March 15th. I ordered this Phantom shortly after they started selling them this afternoon, so I expect that my order will be shipped within the first week they start shipping. This giveaway will run until the day I receive this Phantom on my doorstep.

• I will personally pick the winner by choosing my favorite comment in this thread.

• The Phantom will be shipped to the winner the following business day after I receive it (I'll cover the shipping cost).

Thank you to everyone who has supported me by purchasing products at PhantomHelp.com. Your support has allowed me to spend time helping members here, put together a list of the best Phantom tips & products, develop free 3D printed products (like the CSC Safety & Phantom 3 battery covers), create a free DJI GO & Litchi flight log viewer, hold giveaways (like this one), and beyond!

If you like the work I'm doing and would like to continue to support me, please consider purchasing your Amazon/eBay/DJI Phantom products from PhantomHelp.com. Each purchase you make earns me a small commission (at no extra cost to you). Thank you again for helping me do what I enjoy :)
Hmm.. Where to begin...

The biggest thing that I think people need aid with is the app. Depending on your background, it can be overwhelming. Depending on your motives (i.e. a video series, in person training, etc.) I think it would be best to do a series for videos with the basics as to what you need to know to get you flying, how to handle situations such as a compass error, loss of video/RC signal, and other features that will drive home the peace of mind for a new quad user. The key is to get the customer comfortable with the new system and as the related tablet will be a large focus of their uses, I would think having a good basis in this would be very beneficial.

Additionally, I feel for some people, a thorough guide or in-person demonstration of what to do when things go wrong would be beneficial. Being able to demonstrate these issues will allow people to handle them if/when they occur and will ultimately make the skies a safer place. People go an make countless posts about fly aways or other issues that could be resolved if you show them what not to do and if something like that happens, how you should resolve the issue in a safe manner that will save your precious aircraft. This would be best presented again in a video or in person by recreating the circumstances that would cause such an error.

I honestly think flying is pretty straight forward especially in GPS mode. I learned on a trainer quad so that any bumps and issues would be had there and I would ultimately be a better pilot. That being said, I believe that the focus should be on what was described above with more advance videos/courses for those who desire the knowledge (but I would think this would be of a lesser scope). See below for an outlined course/video that I would think is beneficial.

• Meet and greet/introduction to the aircraft and quick overview and quick start guide (5 minutes)
  • Introduction to the Go app including required areas of the app that are needed to fly, description of warnings such as compass errors, poor RC/Video signal, items that the pilot should maintain attention while flying, compass calibration, etc. (15-20 minutes for live; if done by video, break into more short clips so users can pick and choose what to watch or format it into a playlist for continued viewership, just don't go overboard on intros into the clips as that is off putting. Additionally, a good marketing strategy could be a 15 second instagram tip/trick to gain additional following and providing a unique service).
  • A segment of what to do when things go wrong with either video or live demonstration as to what to do when there is a compass error, loss of video/RC signal, etc. Visually show what will happen so it is relatable. (20 minutes for live, 5 minutes for each issue if done via video).
  • Bring the course home that with this knowledge of the necessities and responses for the "what could go wrongs" will ultimately reduce the stress of first flying, enable the user to focus on getting the best shots possible, and bring a fun and enjoyable experience for everyone. (5 minutes + 10 minutes Q+A).
With this, you have an hour long structured course as to what you will need to know to become a Phantom Pilot, as well as a new venue to gain viewership/training program sales and build your brand. If you like this approach and would like more thoughts elaborated or tailored to within, shoot me a PM.

1. A quick run through of what is the same and different between the P4 and comparable P3 model

2. New features in depth review on how they work

3. Information on best use of camera for stills and video, settings etc.

4. A good run through of the new features and changes in the Go App and where they are located

5. Thoughts on price vs value of what you get for the P4

As per all the other good posts the fundamental settings and basic controls are useful.
However to create great cinematic videos I feel a tutorial on framing a shot, emphasising movement & scale, planning ahead with what shots will be needed to tell a story.

It's good to know what the best settings to use are but without knowing what to shoot and how to shoot the video may look like any other video.

Hope this helps, definitely look forward to whatever it is that is created.
Thanks for contributing so much to this forum!

I'm giving away a brand new Phantom 4 to one lucky Phantom Pilots member!

View attachment 45630

Interested? Here's what you need to do:
  • I'm putting together a Phantom training program (for the Phantom 3 & 4) and am interested in hearing what you would like to see included in that program. You could tell me what you would like to learn, how you would like it to be presented, etc. I'm basically just looking for suggestions related to what you would expect/want to see. There are no wrong answers :)

• Only your first post will be considered. Feel free to edit your first post if you would like to add any thoughts to it.

• DJI starts shipping the Phantom 4 on March 15th. I ordered this Phantom shortly after they started selling them this afternoon, so I expect that my order will be shipped within the first week they start shipping. This giveaway will run until the day I receive this Phantom on my doorstep.

• I will personally pick the winner by choosing my favorite comment in this thread.

• The Phantom will be shipped to the winner the following business day after I receive it (I'll cover the shipping cost).

Thank you to everyone who has supported me by purchasing products at PhantomHelp.com. Your support has allowed me to spend time helping members here, put together a list of the best Phantom tips & products, develop free 3D printed products (like the CSC Safety & Phantom 3 battery covers), create a free DJI GO & Litchi flight log viewer, hold giveaways (like this one), and beyond!

If you like the work I'm doing and would like to continue to support me, please consider purchasing your Amazon/eBay/DJI Phantom products from PhantomHelp.com. Each purchase you make earns me a small commission (at no extra cost to you). Thank you again for helping me do what I enjoy :)

First, I love Purchasing your products! I am always glad to help you out!

So this is how I would go about it.

I would break it down in 5 sections.

1. Learning the In and Outs of your drone. (Videos and photos)
- I am a strong believer that before you fly or do anything you should always know how the drone works not only how to fly but each part. The more educated you are about each function of the drone the better understanding you get on how it flies.

2. How to fly each drone
- This is a no brainer, we would need a section on how to fly each one respectively.

3. When to fly and when not to fly.
- I feel like one of the biggest mistakes most people make are flying in the wrong conditions. If you put together a list or a video talking about when you should and shouldn't fly it would help people out so much.

4. Most Asked Questions
- It's a section dedicated to the top asked questions first time flyers have. You could make multiple videos or just list them.

5. Suggested Upgrades
- Once you explain how everything works maybe put together a page of suggested upgrades or products one could buy to make their DJI experience better

Thank you for looking at my sheet! Have a great day and keep smiling!

Since it is a flying camera I would say a crash course on actual use of the camera (composition, iso settings, framing, etc) would be extremely helpful for most !!! Especially since the training program built into the app doesn't really touch on this at all.

Also, mainly because I didn't win the last one ha ha ha !! Just kidding !! Bravo again for being such an amazing contributor to our hobby!! The world could use more people with your mentality and personality!

Cheers !!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Video editing and 4K upload to internet

I would like to see a course on video processing workflow. Specifically about best settings for certain situations, then post processing to get the most from your captured video. I'm not talking editing techniques, I'm thinking more on color, saturation, profiles, etc to get the absolute most from our videos.

What to think of in different situations, like flying over water or flying around a hill where radio signal might be lost if you're on one side of the hill...

Also as many people have suggested, ND filters and post processing would be nice!

What to do when you think you have lost control of the drone.
I think a lot of lost drones what are called flyaways could be prevented if pilots had a better understanding of what not to do.

RedHotPoker

I would personally love to see a 3 tiered program in the form of Novice, Intermediate & Advanced, something that you can progress through to learn everything the phantom has to offer;

Novice - Pre flight checks, basic operation, how to update firmware, safety etc.

Intermediate - Filming techniques, tips on taking stills & film, f-modes etc

Advanced - Long distance flying, advanced settings, flying atti, technical information, aftermarket parts, post processing etc

Having downloads like a pre flight checklist would be useful and youtube tips. I'd sign up to something like this!

Hi
As I live in the uk and usually buy stuff from Amazon uk will my purchases come from uk. It's just when I click on items on your site I get American dollars. Enjoy reading your comments and help since getting my P3A for Xmas. Just before the drop in price! But still love it. Please confirm I can buy from Phantom.com.

I think cover the basics...how to take care of the battery, best video and photgraph settings, and then basic flight modes. Being new to this hobby I find the basics are missing, but there are a lot of ideas for the more advanced users.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

A great A-Z course would be the following :

(Not nessicarilly in this order)

1. Unboxing (initial setup, calibration ect...)

2. Pre flight ( safety checks, calibrations, camera settings, ect....)

3. After startup ( any settings to make/check/beware of, ect..)

4. Flying tips ( beginner, atti, long distance, wind, low altitudes, dark ect...)

5. Filming tips ( night time, follow me, POI, yaw control, camera sttings, still shots, filters, ect..)

6. Film editing (great products/programs, how to)

7. Drone maintenance. (Firmware upgrades/downgrades, afterflight checks, storage, battery maintenance ect..)

8. DIY Repairs. ( camera/gimble, shell cracks, electronics, water recovery, ect...)

9. After market products ( reviews, how to fit, ect...)

10. Resale your drone. ( tips on: where, how to get good price, ect...)

Hope this helps, thanks.

Hello @msinger and thanks for the giveaway,

Here are my ideas about your training program.

1. Introduction
    1. Quick summary of the course and the parts.
    2. Link to skip to a specific part.
  2. Safety and legal
    1. Legal concerns for flying a quad. Check the law in your country
    2. US UAV law - special chapter
    3. Safety first (propeller, not flying close someone, obstacles, weather, having a spotter)
  3. How to fly (beginner)
    1. check list before the take off (body damage, props correctly installed, battery charged, wind, obstacles, flight plan)
    2. beginner mode to reduce the flying perimeter
    3. the basics sticks commands, take off, landing, learning with fly patterns (make squares, circles, eight shape)
    4. the camera functions (take picture, take video,… )
  4. Phantom 3 and 4 comparison
    1. What's the difference between Phantom 3 and 4 summary
      comparison.png

2. The flying time
    3. The intelligent modes
      1. POI
      2. Home lock
      3. Course Lock
      4. Waypoints
      5. Tap to go
      6. Tracking subject
      7. Obstacle avoiding system (test with different modes : P-GPS, waypoints, tracking)
    4. The speed (sport mode) for filming action sport or drone racing initiation
    5. The slow mo capabilities : compare the P3 30 fps and the P4 120 fps
    6. The gimbal : test to compare the stability of the single P3 bracket and the dual P4 bracket
    7. The body : new body prevents cracks ?
    8. The vision system position
    9. P4 easier for beginners
  5. How to shoot awesome shots
    1. Plan your flight and your shots before take off
    2. Go easy with the sticks and change settings for smooth movements
    3. Get good images : filters (motion blur), record in manual exposition, white balance, 4k, flat images (d-log and sharpness/contrast/saturation)
    4. Manual modes versus intelligent mode : depends on what you want to shoot (manual for more flexibility, waypoints for a precise plan, POI for easy circles around object especially with P4 with tacking object, course lock to focus on something while keeping the direction)
  6. Post production
    1. The post production best app (premiere, final cut)
    2. Cut to only keep the smooth movements
    3. Choose your emotion, choose your music
    4. Color correction and color grading
    5. re order your cuts, and sync them with the music
  7. Accessories
    1. Having many batteries and a charging strategy
    2. Must have : neck straps, nd filters (pros and cons), bag, device sun hood, lens/gimbal cap
    3. Other stuffs : stickers, props guard, gimbal guard, lens sun hood, touch screen gloves and more
Some points of this course must have great tutorial, especially the P3/P4 comparison, the how to fly and how to shoot.
Hope it will help you.

Xavier

Last edited:
I'm not sure how you would do it (or if it's already been suggested) but in addition to basic flying skills, orientation tips/tricks etc I'd like to see a basic primer on UAS ethics in terms of where you fly, how you fly, and why you shouldn't fly in certain areas (over peoples homes loitering/hovering). I think we could do a lot to help our "cause" by being aware of what it looks like we are doing not just what we are doing.

For instance I could be hovering over a person's home taking majestic pictures of a valley far away in front of the home but the homeowner can't see well enough or doesn't know enough about UAS to realize I'm pointing the camera AWAY from their home. They panic thinking I am stalking them or stealing personal images etc and call LE. Just basic situational awareness and thinking about perception can go a LONG way to helping all of us in so many ways.

Excellent opportunity to say the least. I look forward to seeing how this project gets off the ground (pun heavily intended LOL).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl