GIVEAWAY: Phantom 4 (winner = lalvar40)

There's one thing that no one has really bothered to cover that people get confused on; Failsafe modes. RTH is awesome, but it's not useful for all situations. Explain why you'd use Hover as a failsafe (i.e. you're taking off from a boat, and RTH will make it land in water), and hover is great for indoors failsafe as well. Also make sure your RTH is going to be at least 100ft above the tallest obstacle in your vicinity, too many RTH mishaps with new pilots.

I think a lot of people tend to take boring long videos of suburbs, a brief tutorial on getting out to good locations, and best areas to fly from would be great. Like choosing a high vantage point to take off from. Along with that, is being careful of how high you're flying, like if you go over a canyon at 400ft from where you took off, you are now going to be much higher from ground level than your starting point. Relative to starting point != AGL.

Also explain bitrate comparison and their effects on image quality. Like 1080p on the standard looks way better than 2.7k, just because the image doesn't become blocky. Compression isn't always your friend!

Reactions: Propagandy
I think best settings for day and night time for the camera. Also just how to respect the rules and regulations. And how important filters are and how to properly maintain the aircraft along with the battery and all of the other accessories that is good to have in the pilots kit.

Other than the obvious flight modes, characteristics of flight, expectations, limitations, laws and common sense; the basics. I would say the biggest thing lacking with Dji is there lack of quality lengthy instructions on the proper use of the quad in all aspects worded correctly. When I got my p2 charged the batteries read the quick start and off she went. It didn't end well. Whether it's physical documents that's handed out or a PDF or both (as part of the curriculum) it think that would be huge in helping overall presentation of the quad instruction and yourself as an instructor. Be nice to be able to reference back to as well.

Hey! for your training program/guide I suggest keeping it simple not talking about in-depth or advanced stuff. By simple I mean....

- step-by-step guide from unboxing your drone to getting it in the air. Most new users will be scared, so with your wise words it would be reassurance!

- print screens/ pictures in colour talking about each tab in the dji go app with a detailed explanation.

- detailed explanation again with pictures talking about the controller

- Basic control Manoeuvers with pictures again ( I keep saying pictures because this would be very helpful!)

- then you can have a little section dos and don'ts, how to look after your battery, maintenance Etc

- then you can have more advanced stuff like the others have said, camera settings and that.

I am assuming this is for the beginner as they are most vulnerable.

And if you are doing a live demonstration you can also talk to the person in these stages.

Keep it simple avoid confusion! :)

Most of this information is in the manual or maybe somewhere else. But I don't think all of it is covered in a clear friendly way. If you can make it colourful and easy to read people will understand :)

Last edited:
Reactions: treerichard
Not to kiss your *** or anything but it's guys like you that really make this forum special. A+, sir.

1.) How to use the PhantomPilots forum for help, advice, etc. More importantly how to use the search box.

2.) How to deal with potential confrontations with neighbors, strangers, and the police about privacy concerns. (Proper neighborhood flying etiquette)

3.) the pros/cons of each Third party app.

4.) The importance of using websites such as Healthy Drones to monitor the health of your UAS and battery.

5.) How PhantomHelp.com is the best place to buy your Amazon/eBay/DJI Phantom products. [emoji41]

Reactions: Propagandy
I'm sending this from my phone so will keep it short. Because you are contemplating a training program for both the P3 and P4 then it would be great if topics are applicable to both. Suggested topics:

1. Proper Battery/controller charging (did you know your battery/controller lose charge overtime if left unused. Battery storage, etc).

2. Weather/temperature - days to fly/not fly

3. Location - Places recommended to fly/places not to fly (objects to avoid).

4. Compass calibration. When and where/where not to calibrate.

5. Positioning of drone in takeoff and flight. Purpose and color of positioning drone lights.

6. How to read the DJI
GO App screen - essential flight data to be aware of (height/ distance/battery power remaining/etc).

7. Weak signal - What to do/what not to do.

8. Return to Home - When and how to activate it/unactivate it.

9. Helpful feature - Home Lock. When and why to use this feature.

10. Basic Photography - Settings for weather and type of lighting (pictures and video) as well as use and speed of gimbal motor.

11. Courses from this point forward would be the advance courses.

I'm giving away a brand new Phantom 4 to one lucky Phantom Pilots member!

View attachment 45630

Interested? Here's what you need to do:
  • I'm putting together a Phantom training program (for the Phantom 3 & 4) and am interested in hearing what you would like to see included in that program. You could tell me what you would like to learn, how you would like it to be presented, etc. I'm basically just looking for suggestions related to what you would expect/want to see. There are no wrong answers :)

• Only your first post will be considered. Feel free to edit your first post if you would like to add any thoughts to it.

• DJI starts shipping the Phantom 4 on March 15th. I ordered this Phantom shortly after they started selling them this afternoon, so I expect that my order will be shipped within the first week they start shipping. This giveaway will run until the day I receive this Phantom on my doorstep.

• I will personally pick the winner by choosing my favorite comment in this thread.

• The Phantom will be shipped to the winner the following business day after I receive it (I'll cover the shipping cost).

Thank you to everyone who has supported me by purchasing products at PhantomHelp.com. Your support has allowed me to spend time helping members here, put together a list of the best Phantom tips & products, develop free 3D printed products (like the CSC Safety & Phantom 3 battery covers), create a free DJI GO & Litchi flight log viewer, hold giveaways (like this one), and beyond!

If you like the work I'm doing and would like to continue to support me, please consider purchasing your Amazon/eBay/DJI Phantom products from PhantomHelp.com. Each purchase you make earns me a small commission (at no extra cost to you). Thank you again for helping me do what I enjoy :)

[EDITED for clarity and purpose. Please re-read. 3-2-2016]

What an awesome offer. Below is what I would love to see in a training course:

DJI Phantom 3 & 4 training curriculum and purpose:
This course would be for a beginner learning the workings of their quadcopter as well as how to appreciate this hobby and it's possibilities. It would bring them from novice to advanced beginner helping them to gain the confidence in knowing and enjoying their quadcopter's performance and capabilities.

0. Brief update on FAA registration, rules and guidelines, before you fly, and where to find these items for future reference.

1. DJI Go App explanation of icons and information.

2. Basic drone operation and list of modules and parts and how to upgrade the batteries, drone, and apps.

3. Basic RC controls and what they do.

4. Basic Camera operation and capabilities.
- Possibly an advanced training module for more advanced camera operation (ISO, Shutter, FStops, style) etc.

5. Basic video's showing what is supposed to happen when moving the RC controls in FPV versus Follow mode and more.

6. Critical warning signs, what to do, what not to do in the more typical scenario's.

7. How the RC, drone, camera, monitor(cell and tablet), all communicate with each other.
- Is the monitor required to have WiFi, or cell phone account to work with the RC.
- What are the different warning messages, what they mean and what they relate to. I.E. Warning, Video Image weak. What that means and is it critical? Is that signal coming from the quadcopter or the RC?
- The different warnings and what warnings are critical and how to react to each.

8. What each pilot has to look forward to as far as missions, photography, other uses, and modifications that are proven that may enhance their flying experience.

These are things I have searched for once discovered in various posts. One thread made me aware, then I thought about it, searched more and learned. The learning took a really long time and I'm still not sure in some situations what is correct.

The best of the best to you in putting this course together. Thanks.

Last edited:
I would like to see an emphasis on safety.
What to do and not do to avoid accidents, injury to ones self and others, and legal restriction of drone operation.
I'd like it to be available as an online coarse that can be accessed globally and apon completion a certificate to show ones successful completion of the coarse.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi,
give tutorials on how to use the camera in the best way possible. for example, maybe up the price and include some filters in the kit, or give some examples in the tutorial that they can buy separately. Teach them how to use ISO settings and shutter speed well, and teach everything you can about how to make cinematic and dynamic shots. Tell people that while obstacle avoidance is great, it is still a backup and shouldn't have to be used unless you are about to actually crash, and that even while it tracks you, you should have the controller somewhat nearby so you can initiate RTH or steer it back if something goes wrong. I would also explain what the lights on the bottom of the phantom mean, how to fly at nighttime, and how to comply with the rules of the FCC. (just list them off or something, and suggest registering) Explain how to understand telemetry and the settings. This is very important. Tell them what things like RTH mean (assuming they are beginners) and teach them how to tweak their settings. Tell them about how to get your bird repaired if it does manage to crash somehow, and what options are available (like neary aerial media or drone accident protection or dji care)
also tell them about authorized dealers because a lot of the people purchasing this may be preparing to buy their first phantom. I have been saving up for a few months, but I still wont have enough money until late-august to get my P3P or P4, if I manage not to spend a single cent by then. My family is renting out a house this year during the summer for a vacation, and it is always nice to have some nice souvenir photos, but i guess I can work with the ground. Maybe I might be able to get a few shots near the end of august, if I am lucky :rolleyes:. I know I wont win, but I just wanted to help you get some ideas. (but I would accept it if you chose me :D, I'm not going to lie) I recently sold my FC40 (which looking back was probably not the best idea) so I am now droneless until at least Early august-early September :(
Thanks for reading this! (it took a bit of time to type)

I think this could be done as an interactive website, which is accessible anywhere in the world with whatever device they choose to use.

People can sign up (free, paid, or both) and go through interactive lessons and tutorials. Lessons would have their relevant text explaining various topics with complimentary graphics and animations. At the end of each lesson, there can be a brief quiz on the topic that was just covered. Members can track their progress and see the lessons they completed and maybe even their quiz scores. Members who completed the whole course would be given a badge or certificate of completion. Members can even be notified of new and/or updated lessons.

Members can ask questions straight from the lesson page and get a response from a moderator. This won't always have an instant response, but it's a nice convenience because not everyone remembers their questions after the lesson.

There can also be a way members can submit their own lessons and information, which can be added to the site on approval.

Interactive animations would be a very fun way to visualize each concept that's explained. Viewers can click through a play-by-play animation and repeat it until they understand. A great example of this on chess.com: En passant - Chess.com - Click through the animations and see what I mean!

A bonus would be having professionally recorded audio of someone reading the lesson out loud or just speaking as viewers click through the play-by-play animation.

Some ideas for lessons:
Lesson 0: What do I need and how do I get started?
- Which Phantom is right for me?
- What do the Phantoms come with? (in box)
- What phones and tablets work?
- What SD cards work? What formats?
- What are the FAA (or applicable) regulations?
- Can I use my Phantom for commercial work?
- How do I register with the FAA (if applicable)?

Lesson 1: Getting to know the aircraft
- Visual overview of the actual aircraft and its parts
- What props work with my phantom? How are they attached?
- How should the Phantom be stored or transported?

Lesson 2: Getting to know the controller
- Visual overview of the controller and its parts
- What are the functions of each button and how are they used?
- How can the controls be customized?
- How do I attach and mount my phone/tablet?

Lesson 3: Getting to know the DJI GO app
- Getting started and creating a DJI account
- Walkthrough of each of the settings and best practices
- Walkthrough of the HUD during flight
- Walkthrough of the flight log

Lesson 4: Learning how to control the aircraft
- What are the different flight modes?
- What controls are relevant to flight?
- What controls are relevant to photography?
- How do you start the aircraft and go airborne?
- How do you land the aircraft?
- What is CSC and how is it performed?

Lesson 5: Failsafes
- What are the built in failsafes and how do they work?
- How can I trigger RTH?
- How does object avoidance work?
- Why should I fly responsibly without completely depending on the failsafes?

Lesson 6: Preparing to fly
- Keeping the DJI GO app up-to-date
- Checking and updating the firmware
- Charging up the batteries to full
- Visually inspecting the aircraft for defects
- Checking your SD cards
- Calibrating the IMU and Gimbal

Lesson 7: Before you fly
- Where can I fly and where can I not fly?
- What are the obstacles and dangers to the aircraft? (interference, obstacles, weather, etc)
- Visually inspecting the aircraft before flight
- Attaching and inspecting the props
- Calibrating the compass
- Pre flight checklist

Lesson 8: Flying the Phantom
- What are the best practices for flying responsibly?
- What's brake distance and how does speed affect that?
- How long should I fly the phantom?
- What should I avoid? (electric lines, etc)
- Recap on landing the aircraft

Lesson 9: Basic Photography
- What do each of the camera settings mean?
- Explanation of the exposure settings - ISO, Shutter, etc
- What are the best general settings for each lighting situation?
- What do camera filters do?

I'll update this as I come up with more ideas. I love flight, photography, and web development and would love to collaborate if you're open to it! :D

Last edited:
PICK ME......JUST BECAUSE!!!! LOL....Seriously my hats off to you for doing this, just got a p3a and LOVE IT...Hope that drones are not outlawed in the future....

I would personally like to see a written multiple choice test, like you would take for driving. I see a lot of people posting on here, and the lack of knowledge is a little scary. (When it comes to beginners) Some people fly first, work out the kinks later. A simple 25 to 50 multiple choice questions. Thats highlight the common issues that occur.

Would love to hear how the Phantom 4 is setting the standard for others to follow. Training information to include detailed information for flight modes, maintenance, flying in various types of weather/wind..., Settings for Video and still photography, tips and tweaks etc. The P4 looks like an amazing machine.

I would like to see a Phantom Masterclass that includes everything you need to know in enough detail to be confident using the equipment.

I came into this from a photography standpoint looking to shoot from the unique perspective of the sky. I knew nothing about RC vehicles, let alone quadcopters. I spent countless hours on this forum and DJI's forum reading how to posts, what accessories you need or want, and watching DJI's videos and other YouTube tutorials. Information was spotty, disconnected, and I didn't know who to believe.

A one stop program, tutorial, Masterclass would have saved me alot of time and allowed me to gain confidence much quicker. A Masterclass should take you from ground zero all the way through advanced levels so it would have appeal to everyone. In addition to presenting the information, it should have examples of why that information is correct and works.

Such a program would be a huge undertaking. So many have already posted good content ideas. To be all encompassing while being a daunting task, would also be the definitive resource for anyone looking to get a Phantom, and would be a valuable asset to this community.

Best wishes with your endeavor!

There are some very important things that I wish I would have learned about early on, or at least been aware of. One was a proper pre-flight routine. Like checking for cracks in the props or the shell, making sure everything is calibrated correctly, satellites are acquired, battery is in firmly, take off the lens cap :rolleyes: etc. The other thing is updates. It was quite confusing to me as a beginner trying to wrap my head around the fact that updates didn't just happen through the app. Updating the aircraft, the controller, and even the batteries all separately from each other never occurred to me. In fact it was one of your posts that helped clarify this for me quite well.

In addition, since most people buy the phantoms as flying cameras, I think it's safe to say most people try to make videos with them. For a long time I wondered why my videos were flat, uninteresting and boring to watch. Being completely inexperienced in film, it took quite a long time before I learned that there were actual camera shots that had names, and they should be planned out and executed accordingly.

Besides the basics like safety, flight modes, and normal operation, I think these would be great additions to your course.

One of the things that I would like to see would be some type of user input group with location shooting information. These drones make such awesome footage it would be really nice to see a geographical layout on a map with user submitted videos, pictures and information on the locations. This layout could also tie in NFZ and include localized Do's and Don'ts to comply with local laws in a searchable format. I live in a very bland boring suburb, nothing to exciting to go and fly over. I tend to travel most of the time for shooting anything.

This world is such a beautiful place and the growth of the drone market is allowing us a glimpse into the world that we would never have been able to experience with out these eyes in the sky. Part of me realizes that I am missing out on so much of this world. I need to get out more, having a resource like this would be an asset to many people out there for planning local shooting, local travel shooting and vacation shooting.

It's important to grow our community and something like this could easily become a valuable resource for current and future pilots from beginner to pro.

Any who, just something I would love to see.

Good luck all and thanks for your generosity.

Personally I see this as having a couple of levels. Beginers, people just starting out, and then the more advanced users.

Phantom Pilot Training Program

DJI Phantom 3 and Phantom 4 essentials

Beginners
  • Quadracopter/drone basics, history, types, uses etc...
  • FAA regulations and local regulations. Local Airports? Registration!
  • Choosing a model? P3S/P3P/P3A P4, what are the advantages and disadvantages
  • Minimum requirements, mobile device, battery, case and other accessories
  • Unboxing and getting acquainted
  • Charging and Syncing mobile device
  • Upgrading Firmware
  • Controller and Camera and Gimbal operations
  • App overview
First Flight - Define Best Practice!
  • Define flight plan
  • Define pre-flight check list
  • Choosing where to launch from, level ground no obstructions.
  • Wind and atmospheric conditions, is it safe to fly?
  • Contact local Airports if within notification range.
  • Performing pre-flight check list
  • Power on
  • Check mobile device
  • Calibrate compass
  • Check GPS lock
  • Initiate launch
  • Hover at 4 feet to confirm app status, and health of Phantom
  • Initiate flight plan
  • Return to home point at 50% battery life
  • Shut down and vehicle inspection
  • Define best practice for battery conditioning
Advanced Flights - Continue to define Best Practice!
  • Build upon first flight steps
  • Expand flight plan
  • Incorporate Camera into flight plan
Advanced Camera
  • Define Best Practices
  • Use of still shots
  • Use of video
  • Utilizing filters
  • Editing video
Hobby or Commercial uses
  • Keeping happy neighbors
  • Where is it ok to fly?
  • Drone Etiquette
  • Selling drone services. What does that mean to me?
  • Do I need a pilot license?
Mishaps
  • Broken props
  • Cracks
  • Crashes
  • Fly Aways
  • Repair options
  • Best Practices on battery health
  • Best Practices on prop installations
  • Best Practices on Phantom inspections
  • Best Practices on flying without GPS lock
  • Best Practices on Return To Home triggers
  • Best Practices on Phantom tracking options

Reactions: Bigdz and Keniff443
Thanks for the contest!

I think there are really two parts that are available for training - flying and pictures/movies

For those lucky folks that understand cameras and videos but are a little shaky on flying summarize the basics:
Chapter 1
1. Rules and Regulations (and common sense)
2. Preparing for flight (night before checklist, day of flying checklist, pre-takeoff checklist)
3. First flight!
4. Testing functions (return to home, auto takeoff, auto land)
5. Advanced mode - Follow me, Point of Interest
6. even more advanced - WAYPOINTS!
7. UAS etiquette - how to fly without getting us all grounded
8. Hall of Shame (examples of what NOT to do)

For those of us that are really into the flying but lack a lot of camera knowledge (that's ME!) I'd like to see two chapters in your training manual (or training sessions):

Chapter 2
1. Still pictures
a. What makes a good picture?
b. What are all those settings and how can we use them? (iso, fstop, etc)
c. software edits (maybe compare software packages)
d. Quick posting examples

Chapter 3
1. Videos
a. What makes a good video?
b. settings and such
c. when to use 4k
d. amateur edits - how to edit and post quickly
e. advanced edits - how to blend video/audio/scenes
(include different software package comparisons)

I don't know if I send my response here but the best way to Learn is by crashes because then you know what not to do.but the reason I'm trying to win this is because my family is Swedish and I wanted to use this drone to make a cool video.so that no one would get left out.thanks for upload.but the best training course would be hands on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1