GIVEAWAY: Phantom 4 (winner = lalvar40)

msinger

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
Website
phantomhelp.com
I'm giving away a brand new Phantom 4 to one lucky Phantom Pilots member!

P4.jpg

Interested? Here's what you need to do:
  • I'm putting together a Phantom training program (for the Phantom 3 & 4) and am interested in hearing what you would like to see included in that program. You could tell me what you would like to learn, how you would like it to be presented, etc. I'm basically just looking for suggestions related to what you would expect/want to see. There are no wrong answers :)

• Only your first post will be considered. Feel free to edit your first post if you would like to add any thoughts to it.

• DJI starts shipping the Phantom 4 on March 15th. I ordered this Phantom shortly after they started selling them this afternoon, so I expect that my order will be shipped within the first week they start shipping. This giveaway will run until the day I receive this Phantom on my doorstep.

• I will personally pick the winner by choosing my favorite comment in this thread.

• The Phantom will be shipped to the winner the following business day after I receive it (I'll cover the shipping cost).

Thank you to everyone who has supported me by purchasing products at PhantomHelp.com. Your support has allowed me to spend time helping members here, put together a list of the best Phantom tips & products, develop free 3D printed products (like the CSC Safety & Phantom 3 battery covers), create a free DJI GO & Litchi flight log viewer, hold giveaways (like this one), and beyond!

If you like the work I'm doing and would like to continue to support me, please consider purchasing your Amazon/eBay/DJI Phantom products from PhantomHelp.com. Each purchase you make earns me a small commission (at no extra cost to you). Thank you again for helping me do what I enjoy :)

Last edited:

View attachment 45630

• I'm putting together a Phantom training program and am interested in hearing what you would like to see included in that program. You could tell me what you would like to learn, how you would like it to be presented, etc. I'm basically just looking for suggestions related to what you would expect/want to see. There are no wrong answers :)

• Only your first post will be considered. Feel free to edit your first post if you would like to add any thoughts to it.

• DJI starts shipping the Phantom 4 on March 15th. I ordered this Phantom shortly after they started selling them this afternoon, so I expect that my order will be shipped within the first week they start shipping. This giveaway will run until the day I receive this Phantom on my doorstep.

• I will personally pick the winner by choosing my favorite comment in this thread.

• The Phantom will be shipped to the winner the following business day after I receive it (I'll cover the shipping cost).

Thank you to everyone who has supported me by purchasing products at PhantomHelp.com. Your support has allowed me to spend time helping members here, put together a list of the best Phantom tips & products, develop free 3D printed products (like the CSC Safety & Phantom 3 battery covers), create a free DJI GO & Litchi flight log viewer, hold giveaways (like this one), and beyond!

If you like the work I'm doing and would like to continue to support me, please consider purchasing your Amazon/eBay/DJI Phantom products from PhantomHelp.com. Each purchase you make earns me a small commission (at no extra cost to you). Thank you again for helping me do what I enjoy :)
I would like to see either around the world live in person group training on the basic and advanced mode uses of the new P4 and even the p3's. With hands on training after a short flight training and safety training. It would use simulator training after basic flight control/mode training. Also you could make this training video/CD available to those who can't attend. Of coarse you could charge a minimal fee for your travel expenses and time given to training others and hire others to expand across the glode!. I would be glad to be one of your instructors in Hawaii maybe??? Thanks, Brent

Look at what everyone struggles at
Best settings for certain environments maybe
Definitely explain autopilot or litchi better and different ways to manual follow something and or orbit something manual for example if you want to orbit around yourself or a low object

2JZ Powered Phantom 3

Reactions: Patrick Steele
Getting the most out of your Phantom camera!

Importance of ND filters for jello reduction and achieving proper video shutter angle.
Difference between shooting Log and std color profiles.
Shooting and processing raw photos in Lightroom (lens correction profile, color grading, etc.)

Teaching operational support is a given, but the tool will never reach its full potential if the operator has no clue about the nuances of proper image acquisition.

Last edited:
Reactions: CRCs Reality
First off, thanks for phantomhelp.com , I lurked it for weeks reading everything I could prior to purchasing my P3P :)

What I'd really like to see is a good article (or articles) on post-processing.. AKA, now that you have this shiny 4k footage, what now?
As many have found, dealing with 4k footage can be a bit awkward and unwieldy if you're not used to it. I personally come from a heavy photography background and have all the software tools for that. When I started bringing home some of this video, it was a whole new world to sort out..
What software? What type of workflow are others using (edit in 4k, then downsize at the end? downsize early for easier editing?) What do you handle differently if your objective is video for you-tube VS other media?
What in-camera settings are others using to get good output?
Don't get me wrong, I'm sorting it out, but a really good tutorial with some pointers would be great and I really haven't seen much geared towards drone footage.

Similarly, a good article on settings and post-processing for still images would probably be helpful to some as well.. As that's my background I'm doing OK in that aspect.

Anyhow, that's my suggestion. Really cool of you to do this, best of luck to everyone.

Training program should have training on an X5C or the like, to show the basics of figuring out the orientation from a distance without the RADAR etc.

Also the basics of learning sticks in the various orientations so there's less panic with the expensive bird.

Also maybe demonstrate VRS, although it's less of a consideration these days.

Reactions: Propagandy
Much like a hunter-safety course, I think we need to teach a healthy respect for environment and convey the ethos for UAV enthusiasts; Why did you get a drone? What are you actually going to do with it? Talk about how drones are largely misunderstood, possible situations you may run into with the general public, and how you can handle the situation properly.

Go over things that others have done wrong (news stories, YouTube examples, etc) and how it hinders the advancement of the activity and acceptance from the public. Build a strong foundation and respect before you even touch the controls.

I say this because these are the things that bother me the most when flying and how hyper-aware I am of where I am flying and who I might be disturbing.

....THEN you can teach how to fly figure eights! :)

I would like to see some type of hardcopy or online user friendly instructions on how to use the features on the phantom. Maybe something like Phantom for Dummies. Step by step instructions on how to set different camera configurations for night flying, over water, bright sunny days, etc. Maybe some type of section on how to do short videos using the DJI Go app. Maybe a section on most used accessories and most helpful accessories that you could purchase to help you get the most out of your phantom. Have some of the rules and regulations as stated by the FAA for safe recreational flights. A section on FAQ's. Pretty much, cover the the most common issues and questions that are asked in the forum. If it wasn't for forums like this, there is no way hat others or I could even begin to enjoy the full potential of this great machine.
Michael

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: treerichard
I just purchased my first Phantom 3 the other day and have a small list of things that I think would be of great help that I've been trying to learn from reading over every forum post, and watching all the Youtube videos I can get ahold of.
- First off, the Phantom more so than many other drones is fantastic at getting you up in the air quickly without much training, however the first step in a training program I think would be to help someone become comfortable enough with the basic features to not lose or crash the investment they just made. I have this amazing piece of $1000 hardware sitting in my living room, and I've taken it up in the air a few times to grab some stunning video and pictures, but I'm terrified to fly it too far away (i've barely gone 100 or so feet away from my starting point) because I'm simply not 100% sure of the ins and outs of range, and line of sight issues. Heck, I didn't even know that you could fly it with a mild breeze. I've seen videos of the Return to Home feature, which seems amazing should you lose signal, I think having a training that emphasizes these failsafe features would go a long way to helping a beginner get excited about drone ownership.

- After the basics are covered, moving into the different shooting modes I think would be the next step, ramping up the excitement about what it can do beyond normal flight (Poi, Orbital, Follow Me). When I found out about these features, it felt like a whole new purchase, and I couldn't wait to try it out.

- I'm sure there would be much more before this, but near the end, I think a final section on expandability would be a fantastic addition. I started researching on my own my ability to print out accessories for my P3 on my 3D printer (lens cap, hood for the RC, etc..), third party apps for controlling the drone, other aftermarket accessories, and apps that help highlight both weather conditions and map out local flight-restrictive zones. All these things aren't necessarily essential to the overall enjoyment of drone ownership, but I believe it gives such an open-ended sort of feel to the whole thing, like it's not just another toy, it's a full blown hobby with a great community who is enthusiastic about always trying to make an amazing experience, that much better.

Love the training idea msinger. I think the training can be divided to two groups: novice, and proficient.

For novice it would be flight best practices that we all know from experience but beginners may not. What to check for pre flight, basic understanding on how the controller/quad communicates (line of sight etc), maintenance,how to ensure the phantom is healthy, things to watch out for when flying, and basic features/functionality.

For proficient pilots I would think a deeper dive into autonomous flying and photography, as well as some "pro tips" to get those prefect shots will be very beneficial.

Lastly, I would include real-life troubleshooting examples that happen to us all such as signal loss, compass/gps instability and what's best to do in such scenarios.

Hope this helps! Thank you

View attachment 45630

• I'm putting together a Phantom training program and am interested in hearing what you would like to see included in that program. You could tell me what you would like to learn, how you would like it to be presented, etc. I'm basically just looking for suggestions related to what you would expect/want to see. There are no wrong answers :)

I need training maneuvering between tight spaces, trees especially. Also when I do this, should I be looking at the drone or using FPV on Litchi? Thank you!

I would like a training session on understanding flight logs and how to understand when a problem exists or may become a problem within my drone.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Is this a beginner or advanced course?

If it's an advanced course, it could probably just cover getting good video as I still struggle with this occasionally. Maybe advanced flying in ATTI mode?

A friend of mine recently got his first drone, a P3S, and I've had some experience teaching him.

3 things I can think of:

1. How to avoid crashing or otherwise losing the drone.
Since (most of the time) crashes and losses are user error early on, this makes sense for beginners.
Things like pre-flight checks, correct RTH settings, proper distances to keep away from objects, lipo battery care, etc.

2. Clarifications on FAA rules and local laws: what is legal and what is not. How local laws can be enforced. FAA registration process.

3. Ethical drone use: Cover things that are generally considered offensive drone use by an average (non-paranoid drone hater) person. Things that would hurt the hobby if many people were doing it.
How to fly a quad in/near a neighborhood without making the neighbors agitated. I ascend to 300ft - 400ft and continue moving; "innocent passage" I call it. I also don't fly when people are likely sleeping.

A great idea & definitely in line with your wealth of accumulated knowledge on the Phantom aircraft line. If you are creating a Pilot Training Program I think a series of incremental lessons would provide a basis for an interesting learning experience.

Lesson 1 might present the Phantom, the controller, & battery details.
Lesson 2 might cover features, telemetry, & flight modes.
Lesson 3 might go detail creating & performing a pre-flight checklist.
Lesson 4 could move on to actual flight with basic flight maneuvers, tips on developing spatial orientation, etc..
Lesson 5 might move on to long range FPV flight, & programmed flights.
Lesson 6 might include tips on using the camera, manual settings, filters, etc..
etc..etc..

How you break the lessons apart is something to be decided. I; am unclear if you are planning on a written lesson plan or an audio or video lesson plan, but a progressive series of topics or 10-30 minute long instructional videos would be easy to follow & of great benefit to new users. You have lots of options down the road to add specialized lessons on topics like customization & maintenance, replacing basic parts, addition of various tracker solutions, etc.. I look forward to your project.

View attachment 45630

• I'm putting together a Phantom training program (for the Phantom 3 & 4) and am interested in hearing what you would like to see included in that program. You could tell me what you would like to learn, how you would like it to be presented, etc. I'm basically just looking for suggestions related to what you would expect/want to see. There are no wrong answers :)

Last edited:
Reactions: GadgetGuy
I'm having a hard time figuring out what strength of ND filters to use and when. Having a video of each one being used on a sunny day vs partly cloudy day or flying over a lake vs a grassy field. Also what the frame/shutter ratio should be when using the ND filters. I see a lot of videos using ND filters and explaining them but they never talk about how they effect the camera settings when in use.

Thanks

How to master using the cameras setting. How to master the planning of your shots master that and stay stable and we can all be pros

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Youssef Maarouf

View attachment 45630

How about teaching them how to read...

Does, this count as my entry? I guess I need to learn to read.:)

A lot of these are covered by the functionality of the P3/4.

It seems we were right about the p4 being a p3s which it's a bit better than that but not near as huge as the p3/p4 jump.

Anyway, here is my request to the bird. A straight laser that shoots straight across. If you lose your LOS at night (possibly in daylight) you'll get a bright red beam across the sky and it doesn't have to be dangerously high. At a show we once had 8 p3ps and a's with remote controlled lasers all over them. Dope!

As for the class, I consider myself intermediate/expert so a meeting of the minds seems in order to figure out how to pull off shots that are otherwise difficult. Best ways to do things. The usual.

From experience i know how hard it can be to get that perfect surf shot. A tutorial explaining the best way to get that perfect angle and be able to maintain it would be highly appreciated :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie