Gimbal Roll Adjustment Misbehaves

Reaction score
I was manually setting the gimbal roll adjustment while flying using the + and - buttons. I'd get the horizon level looking and a second or so later the horizon would pop out of alignment again. My manual adjustment wouldn't stick. This happened over and over.

Is this newbie operator error or something glitchy with my P4?

I was manually setting the gimbal roll adjustment while flying using the + and - buttons. I'd get the horizon level looking and a second or so later the horizon would pop out of alignment again. My manual adjustment wouldn't stick. This happened over and over.

Is this newbie operator error or something glitchy with my P4?
Have you tried doing a cold IMU calibration? This will help reset the gimbal.
Give it a try and get back with us.

Thanks.

I think we may be talking about two different things. It sounds like you may be to referring to the auto calibrations. I was referring to manual calibration. Is there some relationship between the two I don't understand?

Thanks.

I think we may be talking about two different things. It sounds like you may be to referring to the auto calibrations. I was referring to manual calibration. Is there some relationship between the two I don't understand?
If you are constantly trying to correct your horizon due to a gimbal roll issue, then a IMU calibration may correct this for you. Manually setting the role additude will always reset every time you fly. Doing an auto gimbal or camera calibration is OK but if your horizon is still off even after this, then doing a IMU calibration should or maybe will correct the issue that you are having.

Understood. Thanks. That's not what is going on, however. I'm talking simply about trying to adjust the gimbal, once, manually. I can't get the adjustment to stick. I'm talking about what happens over the period of a few seconds, not over a number of flights. From my original post: "I'd get the horizon level looking and a second or so later the horizon would pop out of alignment again". This happens with the bird sitting on the ground... not even flying.

Have you tried adjusting the gimbal roll manually on the P4? If so, does it stay where you set it or does it pop out of adjustment a second or two after you finish adjusting it?

Understood. Thanks. That's not what is going on, however. I'm talking simply about trying to adjust the gimbal, once, manually. I can't get the adjustment to stick. I'm talking about what happens over the period of a few seconds, not over a number of flights. From my original post: "I'd get the horizon level looking and a second or so later the horizon would pop out of alignment again". This happens with the bird sitting on the ground... not even flying.

Have you tried adjusting the gimbal roll manually on the P4? If so, does it stay where you set it or does it pop out of adjustment a second or two after you finish adjusting it?
I totally understand what you're saying however I have never had to adjust roll because my Horizon is perfect. What you are saying is that when you turn the bird on the roll tilts immediately and stays there correct? Then when you manually adjust roll, a few seconds it tilts right back to where it was.
I still say give the bird a IMU calibration if you haven't done so already. It's called a process of illemination in my book. If you are still having the issue afterwords, then downgrading the FW, then reupgrading would be the next step.

No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm only talking about making an adjustment to the gimbal. I've said nothing about flying. I'm talking about the camera gimbal manual adjustment only. (Please stop thinking about flying and the footage and horizon resulting from the automatic settings. I don't have a problem with that.)

Please try to duplicate my situation. Put your P4 on a level surface. Point the camera forward. Go into the manual gimbal adjustments in DJI Go. Press the + or - key 2 or 3. Watch how the horizon tilts on your screen. See if it stays where you set it. Mine will not. It will stay for a second or two then the camera jumps, changing horizontal position and the horizon changes. That's what I'm talking about and that's all I am talking about.

Have I explained things more clearly? Sometimes it takes me a while.

Thank you.

Reactions: ShivarenoP3
No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm only talking about making an adjustment to the gimbal. I've said nothing about flying. I'm talking about the camera gimbal manual adjustment only. (Please stop thinking about flying and the footage and horizon resulting from the automatic settings. I don't have a problem with that.)

Please try to duplicate my situation. Put your P4 on a level surface. Point the camera forward. Go into the manual gimbal adjustments in DJI Go. Press the + or - key 2 or 3. Watch how the horizon tilts on your screen. See if it stays where you set it. Mine will not. It will stay for a second or two then the camera jumps, changing horizontal position and the horizon changes. That's what I'm talking about and that's all I am talking about.

Have I explained things more clearly? Sometimes it takes me a while.

Thank you.
Unfortunately I do not have my P4 with me at this time. however on my Inspire 1 I can adjust roll and it will stay if that helps you any. Otherwise I will have to report back to this thread tomorrow when I'm at work as that is where my P4 is right now. I will let you know then. Or maybe someone else can chime in and give you that answer.
I hope you can sort it out. Good luck..

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Basically and Russ isn't the only one seeing gimbal/horizon problems

...YES, YES AND FURTHERMORE, YES!!! - the gimbal not staying level is one of two vexing problems I have with the p4 unit (...the other being the sudden 10'-15' altitude drop at end of a swift run) - I am just SO tired of adjusting angle of footage in post with subsequent degradation of quality - sigh - please DJI: FIX THIS, FIX THIS, FIX THIS!!!

I have checked my personal P4 and do not have the problem, however I have E-mailed my DJI rep in china about the issue.
I will let you guys know what I find out. Just hang in there.
I have always noticed that when adjusting roll on any of my birds if needed, It will roll back and forth with each positive or negative click. I have to go positive or negative several clicks just to see if it is really calibrating as it should. Really strange how the calibration acts. Some times it stays and then it will go back to level again. No one has mentioned whether they have tried the duel IMU calibration yet. I'm only asking.
And to answer zanders issue, The Inspire does the same thing and always has due to the higher forward speed. In sport mode with the P4, the AC has to dip forward and thus causing a decrease in altitude. You have to compensate with ascending the aircraft at the same time. It works for me and you get used to it.

...thanks for the help bluebird - and to be clear I have done numerous IMU calibrations in a broad range of thermal conditions to no avail, gimbal calibrations to no avail and compass calibrations of course to no avail - BUT; is a "duel calibration" something different altogether? - I haven't come across this term yet...

...thanks for the help bluebird - and to be clear I have done numerous IMU calibrations in a broad range of thermal conditions to no avail, gimbal calibrations to no avail and compass calibrations of course to no avail - BUT; is a "duel calibration" something different altogether? - I haven't come across this term yet...
I'm sorry to be a bit technical when I mention certain things as I have a tendency to shortcut terms. I was referring to the P4 having 2 IMU's and as we know they calibrate together and are for redundancy as well as 2 compasses. Sorry about that. Like I said, I will be awaiting a response from my rep. He sometimes will send me firmware updates with fixes like the one you guys need. I will not know anything until I hear back from him. It can take up to 48 hours for a response.
When I get something, I will gladly share it with you. Hopefully I will have a fix for you soon.

Basically and Russ isn't the only one seeing gimbal/horizon problems

Wow. You have the problem when filming it looks like. I only see it when making manual gimbal adjustments in DJI Go and I only did that to test out how the software works. Or, were you making manual adjustments while filming?

Wow. You have the problem when filming it looks like. I only see it when making manual gimbal adjustments in DJI Go and I only did that to test out how the software works. Or, were you making manual adjustments while filming?
Exactly as I specified. It takes a lot of clicks just to see if it is actually doing any kind of calibration. Just keep going positive one time to see if tilts and stays or is there actually a real problem here. Same thing trying to go negative with the calibration. All my birds do this.

Exactly as I specified. It takes a lot of clicks just to see if it is actually doing any kind of calibration. Just keep going positive one time to see if tilts and stays or is there actually a real problem here. Same thing trying to go negative with the calibration. All my birds do this.

I don't have to make a lot of clicks to see it adjust. Each click changes the numerical value by .2 whether I click + or - and I can see the horizon shift a little with each click. I see no difference in behavior with positive or negative responsiveness other than the direction of roll. Nine times out of ten about a second or so after I adjust the gimbal manually it pops back to where it was. It seems as if the automatic adjustment may be overriding the manual adjustment.

Last edited:
I don't have to make a lot of clicks to see it adjust. Each click changes the numerical value by .2 whether I click + or - and I can see the horizon shift a little with each click. I see no difference in behavior with positive or negative responsiveness other than the direction of roll. Nine times out of ten about a second or so after I adjust the gimbal manually it pops back to where it was. It seems as if the automatic adjustment may be overriding the manual adjustmet.
Ok, Now I finally got what you mean. I will wait till I hear from my rep and get back to you. Sounds like a bizarre glitch with in the camera and gimbal FW.
It's possible that some birds got out with this glitch. That is why I had mentioned downgrading FW, then re upgrading back to current version to see if that changes or fixes the issue.

I don't have to make a lot of clicks to see it adjust. Each click changes the numerical value by .2 whether I click + or - and I can see the horizon shift a little with each click. I see no difference in behavior with positive or negative responsiveness other than the direction of roll. Nine times out of ten about a second or so after I adjust the gimbal manually it pops back to where it was. It seems as if the automatic adjustment may be overriding the manual adjustment.
I saw that behavior, too, on my first P4, which I returned.

I was just thinking... Since the P4 has automatic gimbal calibration, what exactly is the value of a manual calibration feature? Is is available as a backup in case the auto cal doesn't work? Maybe because there might be circumstances where somebody wants to intentionally have a camera rolled left or right? This might be a good question for DJI and may write them to ask.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31