Gimbal camera problem – no image in camera view after a crash

Reaction score
Hi.
I don't pilot my Phantom 3 very often, and just recently I managed to crash it. Right with it's camera.
I had the main axis-metal-thing broken and a flex wire ripped in half. So I replaced the two. The gimbal rotation works just fine, like it used to before the crash. But there is no image in the DJI GO app. ‘No Image Transmission Signal’ it says.
dN6csdfYTow.jpg
  • There is no more apparent physical damage present.
  • The flex wire is secured within the sockets.
  • Reconnecting the drone, recalibrating, resetting and recalibrating the gimbal didn’t help.
  • Micro SD is functional, tried to remove and start the drone without it, then inserting again – no difference.
  • Updating the firmware didn’t help. Additionally, the app just crashes when trying to update from it.
What could lead to such strange behaviour and how can I understand the reason for it? I am not very experienced with electronics, so if you have any guesses, please explain them in-depth, where possible.

The Gimbals "ribbon" cable.what kind is it a " oem " or " aftermarket " ?

The ribbon cable is that what you called the "flex wire" above right ?

App crashing could be a device issue,,got another to try,,,gimble light red or green or flashing ,give it anther relink see if it changes anything,,and yes as above quality of ribbon cable is a must,,cheap just won't cut it for some reason,oh the reason,,it's the spacing between plug wire contacts on ribbon cable,,I you investigate this you will see they vary in quality and some don't contact properly
I be watching this one

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
UN Plugging and RE plugging that tiny thin ribbon cable is not good for more then two times as its Soooooooooooo thin the female side will cut it and make things worse......and IF its aftermarket maybe one time unplug and re-plugging or less.. do to low quality as stated by ianzone above.

Great post ianzone !

Yes. Also, an aftermarket one. Replacements for DJI's are definetly not cheap, so since no motherboards were damaged, Ithought it will work.
Any way to see if the cable is dead though? Cause relinking and different devices for DJI GO give no results for me. I guess I can compare the new one to the halfs of the original. Should I look for drastic differences or some small-scale stuff?

Also, any internal parts I should take a closer look at? Everything seems intact, but you know, buying new cable is not cheap nor instanteneous, so if there are some other weak spots - might inspect them as well.

Reactions: Spiritchaser

Yes. Also, an aftermarket one. Replacements for DJI's are definetly not cheap, so since no motherboards were damaged, Ithought it will work.
Any way to see if the cable is dead though? Cause relinking and different devices for DJI GO give no results for me. I guess I can compare the new one to the halfs of the original. Should I look for drastic differences or some small-scale stuff?

Also, any internal parts I should take a closer look at? Everything seems intact, but you know, buying new cable is not cheap nor instanteneous, so if there are some other weak spots - might inspect them as well.
I replaced mine a couple of years ago, and while I cannot remember how much the cable cost, I don't recall them being expensive at all. How much are you seeing them being sold for?

I replaced mine a couple of years ago, and while I cannot remember how much the cable cost, I don't recall them being expensive at all. How much are you seeing them being sold for?

Around 50-60$ in my country. When aftermarkets are 15-25$. Does it matter? I want to be absolutely sure my current one cannot do the job. Will be a waste to buy an OEM only to find out a problem wasn't with the cable. Obviously, if I knew they were quite a big deal I'd probably considered an OEM initially, but what's done is done. I'll always have time to buy a new one.

Around 50-60$ in my country. When aftermarkets are 15-25$. Does it matter? I want to be absolutely sure my current one cannot do the job. Will be a waste to buy an OEM only to find out a problem wasn't with the cable. Obviously, if I knew they were quite a big deal I'd probably considered an OEM initially, but what's done is done. I'll always have time to buy a new one.
Sadly, no one can tell you if the problem is with the new aftermarket cable is the problem or not, but problems with them are well documented here.

Hi! I have a similar problem, but the gimbal is dead. I remember a post about rewiring a P3, without going through the gimbal, to get the GO App connected like normal. Can-t find it!

Can anyone point me to the right post? CHEERS! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers