FPVLR VS. DBS

Alright so I have been considering buying one of the antennas from either dbs or fpvlr and I just don't know if I can justify it because I already get well past 2 miles out with no signal break but that is at 400 ft altitude none the less. I owned the stage 2 kit from fpvlr on my P2v+ and the signal was indeed improved but the extra bulk is a let down. I own the dji back pack and I want the antenna to be able to fit in there otherwise its a no go because thats what makes the P3 with the backpack unique from the rest, the ability to slap a pack on, jump on a jet ski and travel from island to island. I had thought about designing my own mount for the controller to hold the FPVLR antenna that might work; my idea is to use the phone clamp that came with the P2V+ controller and put it on my P3 controller and actually hold the middle of the antenna vertically pointing out. This way it could break down with ease. Alright couple questions...Is it possible to get say 3 miles or better at 50 ft altitude is the same place Im getting 2 miles at 400ft altitude with either of these antennas? And second question is that I understand these are directional antennas, so lets say your 1 mile out at 12 oclock,do you have to be pointing the antenna at 12 oclock or can it be off by say 1 oclock or 1:30?

I have purchased a wind surfer, DBS and FPVLR v2 and tested each on a track that is line of sight part of the way at 400', but eventually is blocked by a tree. From my own experience, none of these extended the range very much once the tree came into play. Stock distance vs any of the antenna boosters varied by no more than 1000'. I'm not seeing any significant penetration with any of these unboosted solutions. I'm sure these help in open areas with line of site, but my results in situations where trees may block the signal don't show a significant increase in range.

I would think 2 miles at 50 ft would be possible over water unobstructed but I've never tried it. and you can be pretty far off with your aim like I said the beam width is really good with the v2 I would think you could be as far off as 20 or 30 degrees and have no problem.

Reactions: jasonb777
The FPVLR V2 antenna set is the best antenna set I have ever used its better then the Itelite DBS boosted. I fly nothing but long range missions and I can tell you from experience its the best out there.
I second that. Even the V1s have rock solid reception. I'm using both versions, boosted and unboosted, depending on environment.

yes LP and CP can be mixed there is only 3dB loss, but we position our cp in the direction that is most compatible with LP so the loss is about 2dB, but the increase in efficiency with our V.2 antennas the fact that we don't use connectors at the base of the antennas, and other factors allow this antenna to shine compared to the competition

Thanks for the follow up. I've always thought your antennas are the better product, but for me, size and ease of use pushed me towards the itelite. Maybe if there was a way to put a plastic enclosure around the antenna?

Also, out of curiosity, what's your take on running the controller directly into amps without any attenuator?

Isn't that over driving the amps, and hence reducing signal quality (not strength of course).

Yes I believe that is there elrs kit. It's a dual 13.5 dbi 6 turn LHCP antenna. The power mod 3 is done to the uav itself and the power mod 2 is done to the smart battery and power mod 1 I'm not sure I'm looking on there website now

Looks like they have different info on there uk website and their us Midwest website . On the uk website mod 1 is the lipo mod and mod 2 is the uav mod. On the us website it only has mod 3 listed and it says it's the uav mod. Looks like they need to correct their info

Am i correct that uav mod is nothing more than soldering the pigtails on to the main board something you can do yourself.

I have no doubt the V2 can go 8 miles the battery life is the Achilles heel on the P3.
If you aren't getting a battery mod done.
Am i correct that uav mod is nothing more than soldering the pigtails on to the main board something you can do yourself.
If your good with soldiering gun yeah you can do it yourself. I let FPV customs do mine.

Have you looked inside your bird Unknown? Did FPV Customs add anything inside other than the (2) wires? What size bat using. I'm gonna start a new conversation about bat mods. You can post response there

IMG_0019.PNG

7.1 miles FPVLR V2 full signal

Reactions: snerd
Is that the antenna only or amplified?
How 'directional' is the kit? Does it have to be like, exactly aimed at the drone or do you have some leadway.
Do you know how many degrees that beam works outward?

I ordered my FPVLR v2 on Friday and it's arriving today. Hopefully I can try it out this evening.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94