FPVLR VS. DBS

Polarization has to do with the way the signal is transmitted.

Below is an excerpt from this page:
Antenna Polarization Vertical Horizontal Circular Polarization | ASTRON WIRELESS

Polarization is an important design consideration. The polarization of each antenna in a system should be properly aligned. Maximum signal strength between stations occurs when both stations are using identical polarization.

When choosing an antenna, it is an important consideration as to whether the polarization is linear or elliptical. If the polarization is linear, is it vertical or horizontal? If circular, is it RHC or LHC?

On line-of-sight (LOS) paths, it is most important that the polarization of the antennas at both ends of the path use the same polarization. In a linearly polarized system, a misalignment of polarization of 45 degrees will degrade the signal up to 3 dB and if misaligned 90 degrees the attenuation can be 20 dB or more. Likewise, in a circular polarized system, both antennas must have the same sense. If not, an additional loss of 20 dB or more will be incurred.

Also note that linearly polarized antennas will work with circularly polarized antennas and vice versa. However, there will be up to a 3 dB loss in signal strength. In weak signal situations, this loss of signal may impair communications.

Very informative response, however, I already understand (roughly) how light propagates through mediums and I am familiar with the specific phenomenon of polarization of signals.

My question isn't about using antennas of different polarities at controller and bird, it's about using different types of antennas for each of the two controller wireless channels.

Aka, one controller channel hooked up to itelite and one hooked up to a fpvlr. The bird side is always the same, and is linear polarized.

If the Rx is vertically polarized, as the OEM ones are, then the Tx side should be as well. Ask the vendors what the polarization plane is and orient them so they are vertical.
Brand or style will mainly differ in the radiation pattern which will determine gain or dBi via directivity.

Yeah its a great deal I won't argue with that , but I don't mind paying more money for a better signal.
FPVLR is a good antenna but the DBS gives me full bars all the way out to almost 18k and that's when I start to worry about the battery. I've been playing around with atti on the way back so I'm going for 20k+ as soon as this rain stops .

FPVLR is a good antenna but the DBS gives me full bars all the way out to almost 18k and that's when I start to worry about the battery. I've been playing around with atti on the way back so I'm going for 20k+ as soon as this rain stops .
Yeah I have a battery mod so I have been 36,269.1 ft. and back with my FPVLR V2 and I had nearly perfect signal the whole way.

Reactions: FPVLR
Yeah I have a battery mod so I have been 36,269.1 ft. and back with my FPVLR V2 and I had nearly perfect signal the whole way.
Who did yer bat mod Unknown? I may have missed it in other conversations! Do have bird wired or the battery?anyone who's anyone wants those number and that thrill!

The bird is wired dual tray batteries
The bird is wired dual tray batteries
Great flight !! I've never been too interested in doing a battery mod. Seems like a lot of stress on an already crappy shell. But the more I do this the more I want to do it. I don't have to use it all the time just on long range flights . I'm definitely hooked !!

Great flight !! I've never been too interested in doing a battery mod. Seems like a lot of stress on an already crappy shell. But the more I do this the more I want to do it. I don't have to use it all the time just on long range flights . I'm definitely hooked !!
If you are a long range junkie its the way to go man.

I'm sure I'll end up doing it. Man I use to think I was really doing something going 9k -10k with my p2v+ lol. And now I'm maxed out with my current stock battery . So there's only 1 thing left to do and at least get a lipo modified to recieve 2 extra batteries.

I'm sure I'll end up doing it. Man I use to think I was really doing something going 9k -10k with my p2v+ lol. And now I'm maxed out with my current stock battery . So there's only 1 thing left to do and at least get a lipo modified to recieve 2 extra batteries.
Yeah with a battery mod you can get 5 or 6 more min of flight time with 2x 1300's

I have to admit that the only way I was able to get 3 miles was going above 400 ft around the 1.5 mile mark.

At this point I'm more interested in penetration between 1/2 mile and 2 miles out. Would these boosters that are being used help me achieve this with my DBS?

The FPVLR v2 looks promising for penetration but I'm not sure I want to drop $$ on something that may not even make a difference?

I have to admit that the only way I was able to get 3 miles was going above 400 ft around the 1.5 mile mark.

At this point I'm more interested in penetration between 1/2 mile and 2 miles out. Would these boosters that are being used help me achieve this with my DBS?

The FPVLR v2 looks promising for penetration but I'm not sure I want to drop $$ on something that may not even make a difference?
I use boosters on mine and I had no issues getting to 6.8 miles with my max alt. being 238 ft. Most of that flight was over land. I have never tried the FPVLR V2 without boosters but it is a beast with them.

You need to get the FPVLR v2, advanced Sunhans 3000 mW 3 Watt, and a battery mod done, THEN you will be able
to five miles out and back, with 100% signal AND have 42% left on your battery,....that's what I get all the time,...
and I live in north NJ ,loaded with wi-fi ,and mountains and thick woods.
Kevin

I use boosters on mine and I had no issues getting to 6.8 miles with my max alt. being 238 ft. Most of that flight was over land. I have never tried the FPVLR V2 without boosters but it is a beast with them.
The V2 kit with boosters works so well at long ranges I barely have to aim it. I worry more about battery life then I do losing my connection. Being able to keep it under 300 feet altitude
You need to get the FPVLR v2, advanced Sunhans 3000 mW 3 Watt, and a battery mod done, THEN you will be able
to five miles out and back, with 100% signal AND have 42% left on your battery,....that's what I get all the time,...
and I live in north NJ ,loaded with wi-fi ,and mountains and thick woods.
Kevin
5 miles and back is amazing with no battery mod and 42% battery left. I could go 5 miles with my battery modded P3 and not have that much battery left.

I'm not so interested in a battery mod. Just being able to fly under 400 ft at 3 miles out.

I guess the FPVLR v2 is next on my list.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TK-62119