FPVLR Stage 4 troubles.

Reaction score
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Received my installed Stage 4 FPVLR kit yesterday in the mail. Kept loosing connection and camera will not pan up and down anymore. At first I sent pics to Fpvlr asking for help. After saying my 2.4 and 5.8 antennas were installed on wrong side I switched them. But still no longer have any camera control. Any help would be appreciated

recalibrate your controller with the RC software. Make sure you toggle your cam switch as you calibrate.
Did you rebind it? pg 21-22

Do you get camera image?

Last edited:
Reactions: PhantomOfTheSky
Rotorwash thank you. Yes a recalibration took care of the camera. I'm left to wonder how gentle it was handled through UPS. Lol.

recalibrate your controller with the RC software. Make sure you toggle your cam switch as you calibrate.
Did you rebind it? pg 21-22

Do you get camera image?
Very helpful & deadly accurate [emoji818]️

Last edited:
Yes. I've Recalibrated and now have cam function. Range is still very bad though. I'll go through everything else this evening.

View attachment 17120 View attachment 17119 View attachment 17118 View attachment 17116 Received my installed Stage 4 FPVLR kit yesterday in the mail. Kept loosing connection and camera will not pan up and down anymore. At first I sent pics to Fpvlr asking for help. After saying my 2.4 and 5.8 antennas were installed on wrong side I switched them. But still no longer have any camera control. Any help would be appreciated

OK, I may have missed something here that you can clarify. You had FPVLR install a stage 4 antenna system onto your Phantom, Upon receiving it you then placed the 5.8 & 2.4 antenna's onto the quad improperly, correct?
Did they mention once properly connected you may need to tighten down on antenna connectors so they are seated firmly in place, and that you will most probably need to use two wrenches to accomplish this, slowly but surely until firmly seated.
There should be one of each type antenna on either side of the quad, with one facing down and the other out at 90 degrees. However, It is most important that the correct antenna cable lead coming from within the model corresponds to the specific type antenna being connected of course. (5.8G or 2.4G antenna)
Note: You may want to first verify proper assignment of cabling by opening up the model, and to also ensure the cable connections within the model hadn't somehow dislodged during transport. ;)

Last edited:
On your Tx side the feed going into the amp near the lipo battery looks kinked. Check if the purple light on the amp is flashing quickly once Tx and aircraft are connected. You appear to have a loss in signal in control (5.8) - check amp is working as it should. If you are in doubt check the pins of the RP-SMA and SMA connectors.

Thanks Mohan and Skynet1 will do. I've been in touch with tony. And have antennas properly installed. Tomorrow will be doing more tests. I never mind paying a premium for nice things. Just wish it had showed up with instructions like you guys stated. For $712.00 shipped. I really expected it to show up with basic antenna instructions. Then take it out and fly.

Thanks Mohan and Skynet1 will do. I've been in touch with tony. And have antennas properly installed. Tomorrow will be doing more tests. I never mind paying a premium for nice things. Just wish it had showed up with instructions like you guys stated. For $712.00 shipped. I really expected it to show up with basic antenna instructions. Then take it out and fly.
I have installed half a dozen of these kits now and its seems there should be a basic instruction sheet for new owners. I have had the same pathetic range you are showing after installing the antennas. I found that by seating the antennas finger tight and spinning the antennas to clean any surface contaminant off the contact pin I got triple the range on the ground and once in the air it was out of sight.

If you have a wifi unit that was on the edge of service and then used the wrong antennas you exposed it to an improper impedance and since they did not heat sink the final out put stage in the Vision wifi unit you may have damaged it, not likely but possible. Something to consider.

There is also no telling what damage may have been done in shipping. I have had a dozen birds out a 300-400 get damaged in shipping, usually an IMU calibration or gimbal plugs reinserted fixes them.

Jeremy

I use custom braided cable in my Stage 4 Horizon antenna setup to prevent kinking of the cable that Sunhans provide in the box. I get 8000 feet in noisy areas. Below are pictures to show the 90 degree connectors to stop the cable stressing

Horizon antenna.jpg
Horizon antenna rear.jpg

Reactions: JLJ
Wow Mohan that looks like a increadable setup. I did a lot of searching and most people seem to have had good luck with Fpvlr so I gladly paid for them to install a stage 4 kit. I was a little surprised when all amps and antennas and amplifiers showed up in seperate boxes with no instructions on how to install them.

I use custom braided cable in my Stage 4 Horizon antenna setup to prevent kinking of the cable that Sunhans provide in the box. I get 8000 feet in noisy areas. Below are pictures to show the 90 degree connectors to stop the cable stressing

View attachment 17137 View attachment 17138
Wow Mohan that looks like a increadable setup. I did a lot of searching and most people seem to have had good luck with Fpvlr so I gladly paid for them to install a stage 4 kit. I was a little surprised when all amps and antennas and amplifiers showed up in seperate boxes with no instructions on how to install them.

The 90 degree cable couplings do make things easier, offsetting situations where kinking may occur.

While trying to understand your displeasure with the work performed by FPVLR, I'm wondering if you have discussed any of the points you have mentioned here regarding the install with them personally. It is my understanding they offer installation of kits they sell, but that is at an additional cost above and beyond the specific cost of the kit chosen, and which can become somewhat costly. It really pays to speak with him personally to maximize addressing your concerns valid as they appear, wouldn't you agree.
I'm sure he will be more than helpful in working thru any issues, and concerns you may have and you would benefit by his expertise as well. : )

Last edited:
Yes Skynet1 I have addressed my concerns with them. And I did gladly pay the extra $150 install fee. I believe he will help me eventually. But If I wanted to diagnose the problem, I would have installed myself. I'm glad though for all the suggestions from here though. That's why I put my problem out there.
User Rotorwash was able to help me with his suggestions with my camera even before Fpvlr got back to me. And I'm very thankful for that. This evening after work I'll do some more tests and report back to FPVLR again.

Yes Skynet1 I have addressed my concerns with them. And I did gladly pay the extra $150 install fee. I believe he will help me eventually. But If I wanted to diagnose the problem, I would have installed myself. I'm glad though for all the suggestions from here though. That's why I put my problem out there.
User Rotorwash was able to help me with his suggestions with my camera even before Fpvlr got back to me. And I'm very thankful for that. This evening after work I'll do some more tests and report back to FPVLR again.

Understood, Scoot. Sounds like a plan. Your questions were quite reasonable, and I'm sure you'll get this all worked out seeing how the install or partial install was performed by FPVLR.
Even if you had done the install yourself, FPVLR has proven to be very good following up on product issues, and helpful when working thru such issues.
Best of luck, and please keep us advised. : )

Last edited:
Anon-e that's what I would like to achieve shortly. I'm hopeful that FPVLR will get this corrected.
Flew with antennas only per FPVLR asking me to. I made it 1500 feet distance at 175ft. Before signal broke. Waiting to hear back now. Here's a pic of how I flew tonight. image.jpg

Did you fly without connecting the front connector on the wifi connector? It could damage the wifi extender if there is no load. 1500 feet is usually stock distance so you should have reached a lot more with the antenna setup.

E3M7LNn.png

That's with my FPVLR Stage 4 Kit

Did you get home OK.... not a lot of battery left for that distance at RTH speed. Or did you flip to atti /gps and bring it home faster?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.