Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian battery error...

Reaction score
Hello guys, first time poster. I own a Spark and a Mavic Pro, and yesterday I received my second ever Phantom, a brand new P4P Obsidian ordered off of Amazon. I unpacked the beautiful bird and immediately was awestruck by it's sheer beauty. My god what a looker.

I start charging batteries, registering and upgrading FW on all the devices. I take the bird out into the yard and fire it up. Immediately I am getting bad signal warning on 2.4 auto setting, so I switch over to 5.8 which seems to clear it up. I live in a suburban subdivision. I raise the bird and let it hover. Seems stable, no drift. I raise the bird half stick to about 30 ft, bam 4 dreaded red steady lights on the bird. Frak.

I look at the app; battery error. That's it. Battery error. I look at the diagnostics on the battery screen on the app. No voltage, NA's all over the screen. Awesome. I take the bird down to 5 feet, still hovering ok, seems reasonable to me, yet still 4 red steady critical error lights. I go inside, charge another battery and take the bird back outside. Please just be a bad battery. Nope, same sequence. Took it up 4 red lights, except this time left it up for a moment. Back to 2 green steady flashes. Raise up a bit more back to 4 red. Turn the drone, proceed forward, same red lights. App showing battery error, and not showing diagnostics. Freak out, take it back down. Cry.

I took the pretty bird in and cursed at it, put my hand on the top, ATTI mode. Like right away. Remove hand GPS. Cover ATTI mode, remove GPS? Normal? Thoughts? Anyone? I only have a few more hours to buy refresh, and I don't want to on this drone if it's defective out of the box? Sorry for the long winded post, but ANY help would be awesome. I have no problems with any of my other DJI birds...

Sorry, I don’t have all your answers. Your hand over top the drone is blocking the gps antenna. As for the other problem, why not try a different location?

I see what you're saying about the GPS, although neither of my other quads loses GPS instantly. They may lose a few satellites, but not straight to ATTI. Thank you for the reply and the suggestion.

I think I would return it to Amazon, for a new one. Have you looked at the voltage on the cells of the batteries? Hard to believe all the batteries are bad.

Did your batteries all charge up to full? I have heard of several battery chargers being faulty and not the batteries themselves.
This doesn't explain the ATTI mode problem though, although strange things happen when your're inside the house with GPS being hit or miss.....

DJI is notorious for inconsistent quality. Many customers get bad drones right out of the box, I'm one of them. Ship it back to Amazon for credit and buy another one. Eventually you'll get a good one. Next time, DON'T upgrade the firmware. Just take it out of the box and fly it. If it flies good, DON'T upgrade anything. Disable auto update on your app. FREEZE everything, ignore prompts to update firmware, and fly it. That's what I'd do. However, if you see something wrong with the behavior of the craft, then you have no choice but to start with upgrading firmware as a last resort.

Well, they picked it up today. Bittersweet, as I'll order another one but won't be able to until the new year. I'm headed off to Colorado for the holiday and was hoping to use it. I suppose the Mavic and Spark make more sense for travel. Thank you, for the replies.

Well, they picked it up today. Bittersweet, as I'll order another one but won't be able to until the new year. I'm headed off to Colorado for the holiday and was hoping to use it. I suppose the Mavic and Spark make more sense for travel. Thank you, for the replies.
There are tons of incredible flight spots in the Rockies, just a hour or two from Denver. The continental divide passes are epic locations if you can drive there this time of year. Loveland Pass, Independence Pass, Guanella Pass, some of the best flying I've experienced.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav